Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Noob here with probable noob question.

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-09, 04:53 AM
ghettoSi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Noob here with probable noob question.

Alright guys take it easy on me, I have what are probably some very basic questions. I have searched, but the results have only left me more confused. I am looking at picking up an early model SC300 with preferably a manual transmission. This is where my questions begin. Although I am aware that the stock motors can handle quite a bit of power (I have a friend who's car makes around 500whp), I am interested in swapping the 2jzgte into mine.
I am not interested in making a huge number really, I would just like the all around reliability that would come with the factory twin turbo set up. I would like to know what all would be needed to complete this swap. I have been looking at purchasing a complete motor with harness, ecu, tubos, etc. off either ebay or from another supplier.
My second set of questions then has to do with the transmission. The swaps I have been looking at have all been automatic swaps out of Aristos. Although I am aware of the advantages of the R154, and especially the 6 speed transmissions, would the W58 bolt up with any major issues to the 2jzgte? Would it have any problems putting up with the power from a relatively stock gte swap?
Sorry for the long read guys but I'm hoping that this is a place I can get some answers. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by ghettoSi; 12-16-09 at 04:57 AM.
Old 12-16-09, 08:40 AM
Shadowen
Lead Lap

I've been on the same journey. Here's what I've picked up.

Your questions:
What all would be needed to complete this swap?
As far as I know, you will need the engine(with turobo's) a downpipe for the Gte, Wiring harness (Spliced by Dr Tweak, or DIY) and the ECU. Also, you will need the piping and intercooler.

Would the W58 bolt up with any major issues to the 2jzgte?
Yes, though you will need an adapter plate, but it wont be too complicated i cant imagine.

Would it have any problems putting up with the power from a relatively stock gte swap?
It will easily hold the power of the stock twins. The transmission is pretty solid and unless you're going to be racing it, It will work just fine for you.

And please correct me If I'm wrong, This is just my understanding.
Old 12-16-09, 09:14 AM
TLDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The W58 will bolt up to it. You will need the 2jz/w58 flywheel no need for an adapter plate. If you start with a 5 SC you will have all the parts for the trans to bolt up to the gte.
Can it handle the stock power of a gte?
Sure can... but make sure to get it looked at the condition of it before putting it in. If you abuse it clearly it will give after some time, even if you don't abuse it eventually all transmissions will give.
Old 12-16-09, 03:10 PM
TURBO819
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Two Threads For You

Originally Posted by ghettoSi
Alright guys take it easy on me, I have what are probably some very basic questions. I have searched, but the results have only left me more confused. I am looking at picking up an early model SC300 with preferably a manual transmission. This is where my questions begin. Although I am aware that the stock motors can handle quite a bit of power (I have a friend who's car makes around 500whp), I am interested in swapping the 2jzgte into mine.
I am not interested in making a huge number really, I would just like the all around reliability that would come with the factory twin turbo set up. I would like to know what all would be needed to complete this swap. I have been looking at purchasing a complete motor with harness, ecu, tubos, etc. off either ebay or from another supplier.
My second set of questions then has to do with the transmission. The swaps I have been looking at have all been automatic swaps out of Aristos. Although I am aware of the advantages of the R154, and especially the 6 speed transmissions, would the W58 bolt up with any major issues to the 2jzgte? Would it have any problems putting up with the power from a relatively stock gte swap?
Sorry for the long read guys but I'm hoping that this is a place I can get some answers. Thanks in advance!
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...to-2jzgte.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...t-gt3582r.html
The W58 is said to be good for about 450rwhp. I also depends on your driving style.

Last edited by TURBO819; 12-16-09 at 03:13 PM.
Old 12-16-09, 03:52 PM
ghettoSi
Driver School Candidate

Awesome, I knew I would be able to get some answers here. So about how much does Dr. Tweak charge to splice a harness? I'm really not much for wiring although I could probably get it done myself.
Old 12-16-09, 10:09 PM
Shadowen
Lead Lap

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/1ge...-for-sale.html
Old 12-16-09, 10:46 PM
ghettoSi
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the links guys. So would that harness and ECU be plug and play with the new motor? Its all gonna come down to finding a fairly cheap 5 speed SC300 once I sell my civic.
Old 12-16-09, 11:24 PM
mikeydelro
Driver School Candidate

Sounds like a good plan but the 5spd SC3's are hard to find. Especially a cheap one.
Old 12-17-09, 04:23 AM
ghettoSi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mikeydelro
Sounds like a good plan but the 5spd SC3's are hard to find. Especially a cheap one.
I know, how hard are the auto to 5 speed conversions?
Old 12-17-09, 08:25 AM
lemmiewink
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ghettoSi
I know, how hard are the auto to 5 speed conversions?
It is quite... involved but straight forward. You will have to do cutting on at least for the clutch master cylinder and for the shifter position.

I would suggest doing the conversion with your engine swap, and mounting as much as you can with the engine out of the engine bay.
Old 12-17-09, 09:30 AM
TLDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just a suggestion... Get an SCX00 auto, get a 1jz with a 5 speed on it pref not for an mk3 and slap that in. You will end up with a 2.5L Twin Turbo R154 5speed ready for some abuse and you would only have to extend the harness a few inches. Your cost would be much less and your options would be still there for upgrades.