Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Mechanic says I may need new transmission - you agree?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-10, 05:20 PM
ZPEED
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if the transmission drain plug is magnetic then u don't have to changes the filter.
Old 07-09-10, 05:58 PM
CLRH2O
Pole Position

well, all that with the drain and refill and filter replacement was 7 months ago - That isn't what's happening now / what I'm asking about now (in the post before your own here).

However - thanks for the info

As for what's happening now - any input on that?
Old 07-09-10, 06:24 PM
ZPEED
Driver

there's nothing with a transmission unless if no reverse, all u need is modified friction fluid for auto transmission. i dunno if some made this product yet.
Old 07-09-10, 08:14 PM
CLRH2O
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ZPEED
there's nothing with a transmission unless if no reverse, all u need is modified friction fluid for auto transmission. i dunno if some made this product yet.
What? I'm not sure were talking about the same things here.

Anyone else care to chime in please. I've also taken some simple iPhone videos so you can hear the sound the car is making - as soon as I can figure out where to post and link them from I'll update.

You can check vids with audio of what my car is doing here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...ith-sound.html

Last edited by CLRH2O; 07-09-10 at 11:49 PM.
Old 04-04-12, 10:19 PM
Lexus082
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm having the same problem, first i had the shift shocks which were really violent. It stopped but then it started making the dry pump sound. It did made that sound for a few days. I wasnt completely sure it was the transmission, but I had a good idea it was. I figured it was possibly the power steering, hydraulic fan pump, etc. But I now know for sure its the transmission...

I was driving the car today and I slowed down to make a turn and when I accelerated it didn't want to shift into 2nd gear, it reved higher than normal and my speed decreased probably cause it was slipping. It seemed to be ok until I stopped at a red light to get on the highway and I hit the gas and the engine just reved and I was moving about 2mph. I was able to reach 25-30mph going up a slight incline but eventually it just lost momentum and I was just reving the engine up and not moving at all. I sat there on the side of the highway trying to manually shift into gear and it nothing worked.

I then turned the car off and restarted the engine and all of a sudden i was able to move again. The transmission is slipping. The fluid levels are normal, the fluid is red/pink like it should be. I'm thinking the filter may have been clogged. I just hope theres no damage to the trans. I can still shift park to reverse and drive, just sometimes it just revs and the trans doesn't engage.

Im going to cross my fingers and drop the pan and replace the filter element and clean the magnets. I just really hope that solves the problem.
Old 04-05-12, 10:58 PM
Lexus082
Pole Position

Today I replaced the trans filter and discovered it was clogged up with a silicone type substance. I'm not sure where it came from, but the inside the trans filter was coated with this material. After replacing the filter, the noise went away and the car became drive-able once again. It amazes me that the filter being clogged up would cause such problems. Took a ten minute drive and there seems to be no damage done to the transmission. So I am pretty happy with that news. I thought for sure it was either the trans or the differential. To me fixing the problem with a filter change was a one in a million chance, but i finally got lucky for once and dodged the bullet.
Old 04-06-12, 09:23 AM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good job! Sometimes a simple fix can save thousands.
Old 04-06-12, 11:13 AM
g4ebguy90
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man I am totally replacing my filter and fluid soon now lol. My trans has no shifting problems. But does make a whurring noise all the time, weather in gear moving or not.
Old 04-09-12, 08:07 PM
Lexus082
Pole Position

Yup, I wouldn't be surprised if your filter was really dirty. After my filter dried out, I noticed alot more crap stuck to the screen.

Its been a few days since I replaced the filter and it seems to be driving/shifting as normal. Over the weekend, the noise came back for a couple seconds until I shifted into drive and then it disappeared and hasn't returned. I think I will replace the filter and clean the magnets again in the near future just to inspect it for anymore of the silicone material.