Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

What makes an SC400 sound like this - Videos with sound

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-10, 11:45 PM
CLRH2O
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question What makes an SC400 sound like this - Videos with sound

Vids with audio of what my car is doing here:

http://www.theforcecollective.com/we...hirring_01.mov
http://www.theforcecollective.com/we...hirring_02.mov (Lexus being what they are - it's MUCH quieter inside the car - so turn your volume WAY UP on this second one)

About a half year ago (actually it was 7 months now wasn't it) I was having some light transmission shift trouble.

Things were - for the most part, working as the car should work after replacing all my tranny fluid with new Type-IV and the new transmission fluid filter...

But I am back - and it's with concern. My car has a new noise... and it *sounds* like power steering whine.................. but that wouldn't explain the shifting trouble. It would stun me if two things decided to fail at exactly the same time. Anyway - read on:

<UPDATE>
Well, color me *stunned*. In fact, the power steering pump IS one of the problems. I went back out today for some more inspection and sure enough, I have no power steering while turning the wheels and the poor pump sounds like it's being flogged in the inquisition! The larger (top) host that runs from the power steering fluid reservoir is foaming at a crack point just outside of the clamp that holds the tube to the top of the power steering pump it's self. So I see the leak there - as well, in a huge pool on the engine shield below is all my PS fluid.

So now, with this having happened - obviously it doesn't explain the transmissions' problems shifting - but does beg the question.... is my alternator going to be alright?
</UPDATE>

Today was a BLISTERING day in Florida. I've had about a billion places to make it to and all within 3 to 6:30 pm within city limits and of course, in retarded traffic. Although my temp indicator has run steady where it should be all day, just before making it home I noticed that the car was having a very VERY hard time switching gears leaving from stop lights and such. Then, at one point going from park to Reverse (leaving the Grocery as the last stop before home) it simply sat there... until I applied a fair amount of throttle and then there was some movement. Leaving the parking lot of the grocery from a dead stop and entering the roadway I heard a very audible Whirring noise. That good old sound that increases in pitch as you increase the motor's RPMs which is obviously mechanical in nature but most easily described as an "electric motor" sound.. but gravelly and loud.

Anyway, the whole way home for about 3/4 of a mile the transmission would over rev in RPM far past where it should have under normal throttle application before changing gears - or sometimes never changing gears until I released throttle and reapplied to find some happy place it would nudge into the next gear at - all the while the whirring/groveley sound was there.

So - I'm home, unhappy the car seems to have instantly gone from working great to something horribly wrong in one trip around town - and looking for some insight and thoughts from you lot again

I hope I've described all this correctly. Car is off and cooling in the car port outside atm - will go out and check the Oil and Tranny fluid levels momentarily. (Updated) Oil level is fine with a hot engine and motor running. Trans fluid level seems *slightly* high with a hot engine and motor running.. Hmm? With the engine off and still hot it looks even higher - both are above the "hot" mark for fluid level, motor off a lot, motor on just barely.

You know what the sound reminded me of? Think about any old beater looking car you've ever seen riding around town that has this super loud power steering pump sound blasting out from under thier hood. I know you've heard this. And it's the sound of a dying power steering pump.... THAT is what the sound sounded like.... but my steering is FINE - and a power steering pump making noise wouldn't affect my gears not shifting right on the tranny I cant imagine right?! I mean, I'm not a seasoned auto mechanic, but I am 35 and've worked on about 6 engines all the way from replacing the head on an inline 6 mustang, and valves on v-6 MX-6 to brakes, struts/shocks and all manner of standard bolt on stuff on the SC, Z24, Cadillac Sedan DeVille and my old *** Datsun years ago... I mean, I know a *few* things - but am I just clueless (Not totally - check update above) on this one somehow? lol

Thanks for any time you guys can contribute - I really need some help here.

Last edited by CLRH2O; 07-10-10 at 05:36 PM.
Old 07-10-10, 12:40 AM
supercoupes
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do the issues and the noise get better with the AC off? Sorry, I don't have a solution for you but it sounds very similar to a problem I recently posted about.
Old 07-10-10, 01:55 AM
CLRH2O
Pole Position

A/C on and A/C off it's the same :/
Old 07-10-10, 01:48 PM
CLRH2O
Pole Position

Anyone else on this? I'm not driving the car which really messes me up until I know what the score is.
Old 07-10-10, 04:34 PM
CLRH2O
Pole Position

If anyone has the specs on the hoses (length/gauge whatever they use, fitting size etc) that connect from the Power Steering fluid reservoir to the power steering pump it's self (specifically the top *thicker* one that I think is the return line) that would be extremely helpful.
Old 07-10-10, 04:39 PM
CLRH2O
Pole Position

I was looking at this - think it would work?

http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Det...50039+2039030#
Old 07-10-10, 05:07 PM
CLRH2O
Pole Position

wow CL is f'n dead these days :/
Old 07-11-10, 01:33 AM
millertime
Pole Position

sounds like power steeping pump, had same problem

get a bottle of atf open the ps reservoir pour it in till it over flows, turn the wheel left and right holding it to each position for 10 or so seconds
Old 07-11-10, 09:54 AM
pmpdaddyt
Lexus Test Driver

I had the same problem with my power steering pump, check your alternator, mine crapped out cause of the fluid falling in it
Old 07-11-10, 08:34 PM
CLRH2O
Pole Position

hey guys - any word about the hose that burst and the link I presented for a guess at what I might be able to use to replace it? Seems to me the pump is fine - but the hose is burst and I need to fix that... it's just, I don't know if there is anything special about the hose or not.
Old 07-11-10, 10:37 PM
MarcusMIA
Pole Position

Your power steering pump does not sound fine. The noise may go away if you properly refill it and it holds the liquid. I would replace the hose altogether. Check up with aliga, the parts man.

Hopefully, you replace the hose and then properly refill the system with power steering fluid. Assuming that there are no more leaks, if the pump stops making that noise, then you're in luck.

In my case, there came a point where the pump would not stop making that noise and it was shredded inside. It had to be replaced.
Old 07-11-10, 11:33 PM
CLRH2O
Pole Position

I'm feeling like luck is on my side with things this time around - call me crazy lol

The pump only ran with low fluid for a grand total of about 10 minutes.. and only half of that actually being use/driving.

The top most hose is the *return* hose right?

I found this a moment ago as well if so:

http://www.jcwhitney.com/power-steer...41&zmap=501564

I'm going to Aliga up in a moment anyway (ordered some stuff him the past as well) because I need a new drivers side inside door skin.. and I'll ask him about the hose as well.

But I'm still proceeding with a possible local fix so I can drive my car again. I mean if I can walk to the corner parts store and come home for a 10 minute fix instead of wait for shipping a 10" rubber hose - it's no question

And btw - thank you all for starting to chime in - I appreciate it.
Old 07-12-10, 09:12 AM
TheRonTom3
Lexus Test Driver

I'm wondering have you check the hydraulic fan at all. If that is malfunctioning it might lead to usses with you power steering and trans before actual cooling issues in the radiator because that has enough surface area to keep itself cool with normal driving.

I had a hydraulic fan motor go and it sounded similar to that noice you posted as well
Old 07-12-10, 02:10 PM
CLRH2O
Pole Position

So I know exactly (with part number) what hose it is I'm trying to replace... question now is do I pay Lexus $30.69 plus tax for it or find a generic at an autoparts store. the ONLY ting holding me back is that I don't know if it's a High Pressure hose or not. I'm assuming it is not because it's not steel... but it's pretty beefy now that I'm looking what I got off the car:

<update>
Hmmm.. after some calling around this is looking like it's a dealer part - everyone seems to have the *universal* 3/8" I.D. return hose, but not the thicker send hose like what I need :/ MAN... 30+ bucks for Eight Inches of hose!
</update>

It's at the top right - 443248A

Last edited by CLRH2O; 07-12-10 at 02:15 PM.
Old 07-12-10, 09:23 PM
CLRH2O
Pole Position

OK, went to Lexus today and got the 25 dollar hose, installed it - did my flush/replace/bleed on another 20 bucks worth of Dex-III fluid and honestly, I cant be certain I've fixed it. I've got power steering again, but it's weaker than it was on Friday before it blew out. Also, it doesn't make any noise now if I keep the RPM below 2k but if I quick rev or go higher than 2k the same whining noise if right there front and center.

Soooo - looks like I wont be driving further than the corner grocery - taking my car on the interstate just seems like asking for trouble.

And, on that note - I guess I have to find out how much a new Power Steering Pump and installation is in Tampa these days.

Bummer.

Quick Reply: What makes an SC400 sound like this - Videos with sound