Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Steering

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-08, 09:56 AM
Tifosi77
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Steering

Hi

I have a 99 sc400 that I bought about 2 months ago and I took it on a 700 mile road trip yesterday. Is there an easy way to tighten the steering or do I have to take it to a mechanic? It feels really lose to me and I constantly have to adjust it while driving on the highway. I had a 97 honda prelude before this and the steering was nice and tight so Im not sure if this is normal for a lexus. The steering fluid level is good.

Also at speeds over 65 mph an intermitent humming sounds kicks in and the faster I go the faster the frequency. It does not do it under 65 mph or if i go faster and lift of the gas pedal. I had a wheel alignment done, but I dont think it has to do with the tires or the allignment since it doesnt do it when im not pressing the gas pedal. And the humming is not constant, it goes like humm humm humm humm, like a humm every second and it gets faster the faster I go, but it only kicks in at around 65 mph and over. Also wanna add that I can feel that vibration when I put my hand on the hand brake handle, It feels like holding a cellphone while its on vibrate.

Any suggestions would be apreciated.

Thank you

Last edited by Tifosi77; 09-14-08 at 10:04 AM.
Old 09-14-08, 01:15 PM
aka paco
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

sounds like your steering rack needs to be replaced or maybe some real bad bushings?
Old 09-14-08, 01:28 PM
JonSC4
Lead Lap

Your tie rods are probably worn out.
Old 09-15-08, 01:21 AM
cbrasian
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

define what you mean by loose as there can be many problems... such as your tires toe, the rack and pinion, worn bushings, even the suspension being worn all those affect how the car handle
Old 09-20-08, 09:46 AM
Tifosi77
Driver School Candidate

Basically I have to make minor adjustment on the steering wheel to keep the car going in a straight line. It also pulls to the right alot. I did a 4 wheel allignment just 2 weeks ago but the car still pulls to the right, and the front tires are brand new.

Also any ideas what that humming noise could be? Like I mentioned it kicks in at 60+ mph and only when i step on the gas so I could be going 75 and if I lift off the gas pedal the humming stops. The humming is intermitent (about 1 hum every second) and the faster I go the faster the frequency and the higher the pitch. I can also feel the vibration when I touch the hand brake.

Thanks
Old 09-20-08, 01:57 PM
cbrasian
Lead Lap

hmmmmm too bad your not local to me best way to diagnose a car is in person and test driving it how about when you make any turns does it make a clicking noise or anything?
Old 09-20-08, 11:06 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Tifosi77
Basically I have to make minor adjustment on the steering wheel to keep the car going in a straight line. It also pulls to the right alot. I did a 4 wheel allignment just 2 weeks ago but the car still pulls to the right, and the front tires are brand new.

Also any ideas what that humming noise could be? Like I mentioned it kicks in at 60+ mph and only when i step on the gas so I could be going 75 and if I lift off the gas pedal the humming stops. The humming is intermitent (about 1 hum every second) and the faster I go the faster the frequency and the higher the pitch. I can also feel the vibration when I touch the hand brake.

Thanks
Did you or someone else perform the alignment? Either way take it back and check your caster and toe settings. If you're steering wheel is out of wack then toe is definitely the problem. If you have the alignment numbers post them up.

As for the humming problem I have this same issue right now with my car and I think it might be my rear end or drive shaft. Where does this vibration seem to be coming from? The front or the back? It sounds like it could be coming from the rear end. To check this pop the car into neutral the next time you're on the highway. If the humming goes away then it might be a transmission problem. If it keeps going it will be something aft of the transmission (rear end, suspension, etc). Balance the wheels and re-check alignment for the rear and check for any loose parts while you're back there.
Old 09-25-08, 12:18 AM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

if it's not the bushings, then I'd say you just need to get used to the 'loose' steering of luxury cars...most of them have weird light steering. I had a 2001 prelude before and I kind of know what you mean.

as for the humming, best to take it to the shop

where in BC are you?
Old 09-25-08, 03:46 PM
sc250tt
Lexus Champion

My sc300 wheel was pretty light so i guess its normal .My 1j swapped sc 400 is not soft at all (pps works so its not that).You just have to get use to it i guess. as for the pulling cheack your steering reac bushings and your lower control arm bushings.
Old 09-26-08, 08:36 PM
Tifosi77
Driver School Candidate

I think you guys are right about the steering, I'm getting used to it now it doesnt seem as bad anymore.

I'm still worried about that humming noise. Since it only does it when Im on the gas pedal does that mean its the tranny? I also noticed that when I step on the gas or lift off there is a clicking sound coming from under the car, is that normal? Would adding something like transmission medic help?

Im in New West, BC. Can you recomend any good lexus mechanics around the lower mainland?

Thanks for all the replys.
Old 09-26-08, 10:36 PM
cbrasian
Lead Lap

a clicking sound.... is not normal..... as for a humming noise.....depends on where its comming from p/s pump or trans it could be just low on fluids..... i say check the fluids in it asap and if that doesn't help go get it checked out at a reputable shop that either specializes on supras or lexus's
Old 02-24-09, 03:14 PM
eHIGH
Lead Lap

Thread revival for a variant of this problem:

I hope you don't mind the hijack (I fiqure you solved your problem by now)

I have this problem with an SC of mine. It's way too loose, my other SC's never felt like that. It takes a good 1/4 Turn each way for the car to respond. (If I'm turning left then immidiately turning right it's about a half turn before the car's wheels turn)

I only drive it on weekends, but it's starting to get scary.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Nic

Last edited by eHIGH; 02-24-09 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Edit
Old 02-24-09, 07:14 PM
eHIGH
Lead Lap

Anybody?

Maybe I'll just make a new thread