Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.
View Poll Results: v8 or NA-T?
Slap a turbo in that sucka!
90.00%
Get rid of the engine....go V8!
10.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Time to choose....v8 or NA-T?

Old 06-01-07, 07:21 AM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time to choose....v8 or NA-T?

Well, this monday im taking my car to get serviced. for those who dont remeber about a month back my engine was acting funny. turned out that coolant was in one of the cylinders, which is most likely a busted head gasket.

I could ask him to source a Supra TT gasket to bump down compression in preperation for a turbo. That or i can just get an OEM size gasket and save up for a 1uz swap for later. Ive been looking into the v8 a lot, and its pretty sweet, but some easy power is just a turbo kit away.

so whats it gonna be?
Old 06-01-07, 07:29 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After putting the V8 in you're done. Not much really left in terms of power without some fairly large $$ investment.

Turbo is much cheaper with more power potential.
Old 06-01-07, 07:36 AM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Eight months ago, if I knew what I know now...I would have not been so insistant upon getting a low mileage V8. I would have probably ended up with a low mileage 300 for na-t or a high mileage 300 for a 1JZ swap.

That being said, I love my V8. I couldn't imagine myself with anything else. It sounds amazing and is so smooth.

If I was you, I would lower compression and boost. You can be running 350whp in the blink of an eye. To do that on the V8, you have to jump through hoops and navigate through uncharted waters all while spending mucho denero.
Old 06-01-07, 09:15 AM
CleanCL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Blizzy
Eight months ago, if I knew what I know now...I would have not been so insistant upon getting a low mileage V8. I would have probably ended up with a low mileage 300 for na-t or a high mileage 300 for a 1JZ swap.

That being said, I love my V8. I couldn't imagine myself with anything else. It sounds amazing and is so smooth.

If I was you, I would lower compression and boost. You can be running 350whp in the blink of an eye. To do that on the V8, you have to jump through hoops and navigate through uncharted waters all while spending mucho denero.
not necessarily, theres options out there, you just need to know where to look.
Old 06-01-07, 10:17 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Originally Posted by CleanCL
not necessarily, theres options out there, you just need to know where to look.

Don't know where you've been looking, but here....where the sky is blue and not purple...........the 1uz costs an arm and a leg to beef up correctly.
Old 06-01-07, 10:59 AM
Sly Guy Yu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1uz+nitrous would be tite

but turbo would be fun.
Old 06-01-07, 11:56 AM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

imo everyone has the 1jz 2jz turbo but its a lot more cost effective than 1uz as far as mods go.

i bought the 1uz to stay out of trouble..
Old 06-01-07, 02:14 PM
SnShne1jz
Pole Position

turbo > v8
Old 06-01-07, 04:40 PM
c0wboy
Banned

Turbo V8 rules all. Nowadays, you don't have to choose between having a turbo and having a V8. You can have both. Save up a little more cash, and make it a real torque monster/street killer.

Cost effective is for Camaros. The Lexus takes it to another level

Eric
Old 06-01-07, 04:55 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by c0wboy
Turbo V8 rules all. Nowadays, you don't have to choose between having a turbo and having a V8. You can have both. Save up a little more cash, and make it a real torque monster/street killer.

Cost effective is for Camaros. The Lexus takes it to another level

Eric
your enthusiasm is contagious.
Old 06-01-07, 05:16 PM
c0wboy
Banned

I tell you Mark, all it takes is saving up a few more paychecks and the SC400 owner can have it all. Folks think its miles away out of reach, but it's really not. Hell, back in winter 2006, I was dreaming about a V8TT MKIV Supra. Now I have a 4.7L V8TT sitting on a pallet ready to drop in. All it takes is saving a little more cash and the SC400 owner can have it all.

Eric
Old 06-01-07, 10:09 PM
SC300_704
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

na-t ftw!!!
Old 06-01-07, 11:11 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

be different.

bore out the v8 and slap a turbo! =D haha
Old 06-02-07, 06:59 AM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

huh, i knew that there would be a lot for the turbo setup, but not this much....

for the turbo i figure that its slap a turbo on, give a little boost and you're done. simple easy power quickly at your disposal. Parts easy to come by and not to hard on the wallet if you find the right stuff. The only thing is that turbo setups are really commonplace and i really want to stand out from the crowd.

for the V8 setup, i would've gone with a V160 (6-speed) tranny w/ an adaptor plating and build up either NA or Supercharged. I kinda like the 1UZ because its so unique. You dont see a ton of people out there rolling on moded toyota V8s. parts are a little hard to come by as most of the good stuff is all the way in Australia. It would be a long project but in the end it would be worth it.

after seeing all this though, im leaning a little towards the turbo side. With the tubo, i can start with the basics in making power and use it as a learning tool for later when i build something a little harder, like the 1UZ. Keep up the opnions guys!
Old 06-05-07, 06:30 AM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

Default got the car back...

well, just got my car back last night, turns out it wasnt a head gasket. Instead it was the TB coolant hose leaking coolant into the intake mani. still confused how it just showed up in cylinder 5, but its all fixed along with some new ignition wires. no head gasket, but after seeing this ill turbo the motor, then go 1UZ later in my life.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Time to choose....v8 or NA-T?