Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Pros and cons of Diff / lsd

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-07, 08:03 PM
JDMmuscle
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Pros and cons of Diff / lsd

Ok, so iv been researching this and that, LSD's and all that, cant really find what im looking for =/ so i begain thinking, Welding my diff? is there a down side to this? like will it hurt anything? break **** and what not?
Old 05-05-07, 10:33 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A couple friends of mine weld their diff on their 240s for drifting. They've been abusing their diffs for quite a long time and they recommend that I do it to my SC. They say the only thing that might break are a couple gears IF they are not welded correctly. But other than that it should be fine. If I can get ahold of a 5speed diff then I'll have it done to my Auto diff.
Old 05-06-07, 08:35 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

aside from handling like ****, a welded diff is a cheap way to make sure both rear tires get equal torque...

but really though, unless you like drifting every turn, don't ever plan on the car handling good...
Old 05-06-07, 09:41 AM
ScottURnot
Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a welded diff in a drag car, but not for my street car. Is it you DD or weekend street racer?
Old 05-06-07, 12:19 PM
JDMmuscle
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

lol both, Its my DD, I drag it, and i Drift it, few autocross's but those are boring...

soo i mean welded diff sounds like Kicks out all the time...

i mean that would be tight execpt for when im not ready for it haha

Any place to find a nice 1.5 dif? if been hereing a auto supra works?
Old 05-06-07, 12:25 PM
Sc dRifta
*****Do not buy from this member until further notice *****

just press the clutch when u cornering at low speed oh wait 90% of SC's are auto lol
Old 05-06-07, 12:28 PM
ScottURnot
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by JDMmuscle
lol both, Its my DD, I drag it, and i Drift it, few autocross's but those are boring...

soo i mean welded diff sounds like Kicks out all the time...

i mean that would be tight execpt for when im not ready for it haha

Any place to find a nice 1.5 dif? if been hereing a auto supra works?
Auto supra LSD from a TT car is what you want. Don't expect to get one cheap. I paid $1000 for mine. Might be selling it soon? don't know yet.
You might score one for 700 but only if you are lucky.
Old 05-07-07, 10:37 PM
2jzfreak
Driver School Candidate

welding a up a open diff is cheap, but you will face the consequences when the welds crack it will literally destroy your ring and pinion your case and the lsd housing, welding your differential is like running a spool, everytime you take a corner it will wear your tires out fast cause there is no clutches inside to disengage,so it won't be fun on the turns making noises clunking and banging, it's always better to pay the extra for the trd psi, it's better for traction because when one wheel spins it automatically transfer torque to the other wheel, thus both wheels spins for traction, and that when you go around corners it's a lot more forgiving, since there are internal clutches it will disengage on corners,

pm me for more questions, and i'll try to help you out, i work on differentials i've rebuilt supra rear ends and the typical american muscles

Last edited by 2jzfreak; 05-07-07 at 10:41 PM.
Old 05-08-07, 06:28 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sc dRifta
just press the clutch when u cornering at low speed oh wait 90% of SC's are auto lol
This might be the single most stupid thing I have read here on CL to date!!

With a welded differential, both rear wheels are ALWAYS spinning at the same rate. The clutch only has an effect on engaging/disengaging the transmission from the engine. ABSOLUTELY NO BEARING ON THE REAR!!!!

Drive a welded diff on the street (regular driving) and I ensure you that your rear will be blown within a few months.

Remember, when making a regular turn, lets say at a stoplight, the inside wheel is spinning slower than the outside wheel. This cannot happen with a welded differential. The inside wheel will be forced to spin. Over time, the additional strain you are putting on the rear end and axles WILL fail.
Old 05-08-07, 06:41 AM
sc250tt
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mkorsu

With a welded differential, both rear wheels are ALWAYS spinning at the same rate. The clutch only has an effect on engaging/disengaging the transmission from the engine. ABSOLUTELY NO BEARING ON THE REAR!!!!

Drive a welded diff on the street (regular driving) and I ensure you that your rear will be blown within a few months.

Remember, when making a regular turn, lets say at a stoplight, the inside wheel is spinning slower than the outside wheel. This cannot happen with a welded differential. The inside wheel will be forced to spin. Over time, the additional strain you are putting on the rear end and axles WILL fail.
.that is the most efficient way to destroy your differential .but seeing that you use your car for drifting ,dragging and daily driving im guessing you dont really care about it too much .so if you weld it i got dibs on your suspension
Old 05-08-07, 06:54 AM
ScottURnot
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by mkorsu

I seen this and thought the same thing. I just decided to leave the un-educated just that! LOL

I'm with you on this one.
Old 05-08-07, 05:01 PM
THINKtank
Driver

Originally Posted by ScottURnot

I seen this and thought the same thing. I just decided to leave the un-educated just that! LOL

I'm with you on this one.
+1 on this one
Old 05-09-07, 04:54 PM
drewgo
Lexus Test Driver

spend the bucks and do it the right way. IMO, you have a lexus and to beat it up like that is a crime. Look around you can find a Diff for about $300 or so that will do what you want it to.

I just got an LSD, so I have an extra open diff laying around.