Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Apex-i S-AFC NEO

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-07, 12:54 AM
GoCarSc300
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know that it seemed that I was sure about going the SAFC route, but I've been looking into biting the bullet and going straight for the AEM EMS. I figure that I would eventually want to go the EMS route anyway, so why not just do it right the first time, right? One problem I'm having is that the place I'm getting it from wants to know what I need with it. They asked me the following: With the AEM EMS I need to know if you want the 3.5/5 bar map sensor, the HKS DLI, the Intake Air Temp Sensor, or a wideband with it. Which parts do I need? All, none, or some. Help!
Old 05-24-07, 10:43 PM
GoCarSc300
Pole Position

I think that all I need is the AEM EMS unit itself along with the map sensor and the intake air temp. sensor (for MAF to speed density conversion). From what I've read the HKS DLI is optional, but would most likely be helpful. As for the wideband, the dyno has one for tuning purposes so I don't think that's necessary. Any thoughts? Let me know...
Old 05-25-07, 07:26 AM
sc250tt
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

try map ecu ,alot of na-t guys use them and dont have any issues with tuning
Old 05-25-07, 04:08 PM
TTSC3
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GoCarSc300
I know that it seemed that I was sure about going the SAFC route, but I've been looking into biting the bullet and going straight for the AEM EMS. I figure that I would eventually want to go the EMS route anyway, so why not just do it right the first time, right? One problem I'm having is that the place I'm getting it from wants to know what I need with it. They asked me the following: With the AEM EMS I need to know if you want the 3.5/5 bar map sensor, the HKS DLI, the Intake Air Temp Sensor, or a wideband with it. Which parts do I need? All, none, or some. Help!
Well, the AEM is the best, so if you're gonna spend the money, that's the right thing to buy. Anyway, to answer your question, you don't need the DLI or a wideband, unless you wanna spend the extra money just to have them. As far as which MAP sensor is concerned, get the 3.5bar sensor, the 5bar is too much. There's only one temp sensor to order, so that'll be the same. That's pretty much it though.
Old 05-25-07, 11:11 PM
GoCarSc300
Pole Position

Thanks guys. I'm gonna get the AEM EMS along with the 3.5 bar map sensor and the intake air temperature sensor. I can't wait to get this all installed! With this setup I shouldn't have any problems with my blow off valve (HKS SSQV) venting to the atmosphere, huh?
Old 05-26-07, 08:46 AM
TTSC3
Pole Position

Thanks guys. I'm gonna get the AEM EMS along with the 3.5 bar map sensor and the intake air temperature sensor. I can't wait to get this all installed! With this setup I shouldn't have any problems with my blow off valve (HKS SSQV) venting to the atmosphere, huh?
Nope, and it'll make more power...if the person really knows how to tune.
Old 05-28-07, 10:02 PM
GoCarSc300
Pole Position

Great! Everything should work out fine then because this shop has tuned some very powerful supras as well as other cars with impressive numbers. Let's just hope that the specific tuner that works on my car is as knowledgable as TTSC3. I'll keep you guys posted on what happens...
Old 06-23-07, 11:59 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TTSC3
SAFC's can cause timing advance WITHOUT you even knowing it. If you use bigger injectors w/SAFC, you will be pulling airflow out. Airflow tables in the stock ecu are setup so that when you pull airflow out, you're actually ADVANCING the timing. Now that's not to say I'm anti-SAFC. Not at all. I've made over 600whp with one, and it was totally reliable, but there are still certain things to look out for.
Actually, it REALLY depends on where in the rpm band you are and how lean you're making it. The stock GE timing curve is very peaky. At around 5000rpms, if one is leaning out 20%, then the timing will actually be retarded I would think.

And a wideband is critical when tuning an AEM; otherwise, whats the point? And a Ignition box is very important for higher boost levels; if this guy is staying stock CR, then he wont need one; but much past 14-15psi then the stock ignition system will begin to have trouble.

Last edited by Bean; 06-23-07 at 12:08 PM.
Old 06-25-07, 02:44 PM
GoCarSc300
Pole Position

I have the AEM EMS now along with the intake air temperature sensor and the 3.5 bar map sensor.

Bean: Why is it that you feel there is no point to the EMS without the use of a wideband? Isn't the functionality of the wideband built into some dyno machines? That's what I've been told, but if you have other ideas about the situation then let me know. I'm curious about what you mean by:

And a wideband is critical when tuning an AEM; otherwise, whats the point?

And as far as the ignition goes I'm keeping the boost low so I don't think I need that yet.
Old 06-25-07, 07:53 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the AEM EMS now along with the intake air temperature sensor and the 3.5 bar map sensor.

Bean: Why is it that you feel there is no point to the EMS without the use of a wideband? Isn't the functionality of the wideband built into some dyno machines? That's what I've been told, but if you have other ideas about the situation then let me know. I'm curious about what you mean by:

And a wideband is critical when tuning an AEM; otherwise, whats the point?

And as far as the ignition goes I'm keeping the boost low so I don't think I need that yet.
Why have a wideband? Well with that logic; why have a boost gauge since it will never change?

Exactly. You cant be sure. At higher power levels a wideband becomes something you really need IMO.
Old 06-29-07, 01:08 PM
GoCarSc300
Pole Position

So you're saying it's something you need to monitor while off the dyno as well, so just having that feature built into the dyno while tuning will be insufficient? Please excuse my lack of knowledge on the subject. Let ke know. Thanks.