Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Clutch or Trans?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-06, 09:31 AM
lfrers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Clutch or Trans?

Well ive searched like a **** and had a question I was hoping someone might be able to shed some light on. I got a SC300 with a Getrag 6spd. When its in neutral its got a clunky noise going on. When in gear It quiets down completely. 1st and 2nd are getting a little dificult to get into. Throwout bearing in clutch? or does it sound like a tranny prob? I'm kind of thinking clutch.

BTW Took the SC to Vegas and saw Guns N Roses at the Joint. It Kicked ****!
Attached Thumbnails Clutch or Trans?-dsc00152.jpg  

Last edited by lfrers; 09-18-06 at 10:16 AM.
Old 09-18-06, 06:21 PM
Durrr
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do you have a double plate clutch? and the hard getting into 1st and 2nd sounds like syncros, when was the last time you changed your tranny fluid?
Old 09-18-06, 06:29 PM
audi2nr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lfrers
Well ive searched like a **** and had a question I was hoping someone might be able to shed some light on. I got a SC300 with a Getrag 6spd. When its in neutral its got a clunky noise going on. When in gear It quiets down completely. 1st and 2nd are getting a little dificult to get into. Throwout bearing in clutch? or does it sound like a tranny prob? I'm kind of thinking clutch.

BTW Took the SC to Vegas and saw Guns N Roses at the Joint. It Kicked ****!
with the trans in neutral, press in clutch, if noise goes away its mostlikely the throwout bearing. nice car
Old 09-18-06, 09:26 PM
lfrers
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Durrr
do you have a double plate clutch? and the hard getting into 1st and 2nd sounds like syncros, when was the last time you changed your tranny fluid?
Fluid was checked I assume about 2 k miles ago when they did the auto to manual conv..
Old 09-18-06, 09:37 PM
lfrers
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by audi2nr
with the trans in neutral, press in clutch, if noise goes away its mostlikely the throwout bearing. nice car

Thanks. Yea that’s exactly what it does. The throw out bearing was replaced last in 2005. The drive train was swapped in 2006 from another car to this one. All the receipt for the clutch says is RTS carbon claw clutch. All together it was expensive. Listed were pressure plate, flywheel assy, pilot bearing, TO baring, Bolts, seals and a bunch of other crap. Itemized it came out to be over a $1,000 but the bearing shows only $65. Do you think the throw out bearing will be a generic enough part that I can just go to Pep Boys or a tranny shop and ask to have one put in.? I don’t have enough free time to do it myself right now.

Last edited by lfrers; 09-18-06 at 09:54 PM.
Old 09-19-06, 09:19 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If the clutch arm was not adjusted to pull the throw out bearing from the pressure plate, the throw out bearing may be engaging the pressure plate consistently. Air in the hydraulic clutch system may also be a cause.

This is referred to as "clutch free play". Most clutches have an inch or so of pedal free play before the throw out just presses the pressure plate release tangs.

Without the correct amount of free play, the bearing overheats and drains it's grease ... then burns the internal *****, rusts and it starts to growl.

Did the conversion include new master and slave clutch cylinders? A internally leaking cylinder may have thrown out the clutch adjustment.

Last edited by Tammy; 09-19-06 at 09:22 AM.
Old 09-19-06, 10:05 AM
lfrers
Lexus Test Driver

Did the conversion include new master and slave clutch cylinders?

No it did not. I will check to see if they may be leaking. But I did not want to go to the shop if they would not be able to work on an aftermarket clutch like this. If Throw Out bearings are pretty generic then I will take it in to be replaced and have the Clutch slave cylenders checked at the same time.
Thanks for the info.