Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

5-speed rebuild info?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-04, 06:42 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 5-speed rebuild info?

Hey, so my 1992 SC300 5-speed with 116k miles and original clutch is starting to get kinda wierd with the tranny. Since my clutch is starting to slip somewhat, Ill be doing my clutch (myself and a few friends) on the December 26-27. Ive got the clutch ordered, my new rear main seal ordered (might as well replace while Im in there), and I plan on resurfacing my flywheel. However, my tranny has started to feel REAL notchy when shifting or downshifting (especially downshifting) into 2nd gear. Also, if I shift too fast into 2nd, it will grind slightly. Im assuming this would be my synchro, and Im wondering if I could possibly rebuild 2nd gear myself (while the tranny is dropped). If so, what parts/tools would I need. Also, if its not DIY-able, how much would a 2nd and possbily 3rd gear rebuild cost?

Thanks alot
Old 12-16-04, 02:08 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

You will need a lot of special tools such as hydraulic press, bearing seperator and some another tools that I can't remember. And to get to the second gear synchor you will have to remove almost every gear out. I think the best way is send the transmission to the transmission shop and get them rebluid it for you.
Old 12-16-04, 03:16 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Originally posted by VVT-i
You will need a lot of special tools such as hydraulic press, bearing seperator and some another tools that I can't remember. And to get to the second gear synchor you will have to remove almost every gear out. I think the best way is send the transmission to the transmission shop and get them rebluid it for you.
Oh man, have any clue how much a shop would charge?
Old 12-16-04, 03:33 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

I have no idea Aero. Sometimes is better off buying a used one because the rebluiding is so expensive( parts and labor). Lexus don't even rebluid them anymore. The repair manual will show you how to remove the trans out of the car and some on car testing, that's it.

From what I understand the 5 spd transmission on the SC300 is the same as the one on the Toyota pick up truck 2WD with 22 RE engine. You may need to look at the sticker on the door jam and get the tranmission code.
Old 12-16-04, 04:47 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

I can attest to what VVT-i said since I just got my ES back from the dealership after having the transmission die out on me last month. The Lexus dealership insisted on not rebuilding the tranny, and was able to find and install a used remanufactured transmission (out of a spare ES of the same year). Installing a new/used transmission is more cost-effective than rebuilding it, and you get the added incentive of a warranty from the dealership (usually for 1 year, parts and labor).
Old 12-21-04, 08:38 PM
saber
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To restore precise shifting quality all you have to do is replace the shift lever bushing and seat.
A Toyota dealer will do it for about $110.00 And replace the transmission oil.

Countless thousands of Toyota owners make the mistake of thinking their transmission / clutch is worn out when all it needs is a $10 bushing and $10 seat (+ 1 hour labor if the dealer replaces them)

While I normally steer clear of expensive speciality lubes, filters and fluids I have to admit that Redline MT-90 75W-90 Manual Transmission Gear Lubricant provides SUPERB shifting quality
in all Toyota manual transmissions. So by getting a new shift lever bushing and seat and changing the gear lube over to MT-90, you'll think someone installed a brand new transmission.
Old 12-21-04, 11:24 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by saber
To restore precise shifting quality all you have to do is replace the shift lever bushing and seat.

Countless thousands of Toyota owners make the mistake of thinking their transmission / clutch is worn out when all it needs is a $10 bushing and $10 seat (+ 1 hour labor if the dealer replaces them)

While I normally steer clear of expensive speciality lubes, filters and fluids I have to admit that Redline MT-90 75W-90 Manual Transmission Gear Lubricant provides SUPERB shifting quality
in all Toyota manual transmissions. So by getting a new shift lever bushing and seat and changing the gear lube over to MT-90, you'll think someone installed a brand new transmission.
the MR2 people also say the bushing is a common mod.
Old 12-22-04, 04:30 AM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Originally Posted by saber

Now this is good news, thanks alot. I actually already ahve MT-90 in my tranny, and Im getting some more for when I do my clutch (5 days away!). Could you elaborate a little more on the bushing and seat for the W58, and also whats involved in installing it? I will be doing my clutch no matter what (117000 miles on it!), so when I have the tranny out I will gladly replcae the seat and bushing. Do you happen to have the part numbers?

Thanks alot