Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Alcohol Injection... Yeah Baby!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-01, 02:34 PM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Turbo nuts, check this out.

http://www.webdynamics-nj.com/OnlyGoodStuff/alky.htm

I was just on the phone with Lance at Toyomoto and he's suggesting I take a look at alcohol injection. I've found this $319 kit on-line. Runs your car at around 5-6psi over what you can run on pump gas. Its far cheaper than NOS with many of the same benefits. 91% Isopropyl mixed 50%-50% with water in this tank. A pressure switch set at the pre-determined level starts the mixture flowing.

I wonder if I could set up an extra injection controller to progressively add the mixture? That way I could spray through an ordinary injector. Lance says you can drive around for a couple weeks without filling the tank depending on usage. When you have to fill up the tank, go to Walgreens, put in 2 quarts of 91% Isopropyl for a couple of bucks, remainder water....

There must be a reason more people aren't doing this.
The Regal GN boys are using this system quite a bit.
Old 08-29-01, 09:58 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

damn thats awsome

something else i will consider
Old 09-05-01, 10:23 PM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Hmmm....this sounds promising! Keep us posted, I'm interested in it!

BTW, F-Max supposedly comes with hardpipes...or so they said?

SR
Old 09-06-01, 05:09 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I've heard of water injection before, but not alcohol injection; unless its the same thing but with a new twist.

Water injection is used to drop intake temps and allow higher boost levels by aiding the intercooler and reducing detonation. It was a very tricky upgrade, so be careful (not for the daily driver- it was a upgrade for "Big Mod" kinda cars. Plus I believe they still used a CAM-2 gas. I knew some people who used water injection on their RX-7's, so I'll see if I can hunt down some old posts and e-mails.

Keith

Old 04-30-03, 11:15 PM
97LS400
Rookie

Alchohol injection is the same as water injection and has all the same benefits. You can hook up a basic water injection system using the windshield washer reservoir and simply start using one of the winter brand windshield cleaners that contain alchohol to keep from freezing. Might not be 50/50 but it will certainly do the trick.

All that is required is an adjustable vacuum switch and a quality w/w pump. I spliced mine into the w/w line so had to add a solenoid valve to prevent water injection when washing the windshield. I also added an LED to help me through the adjustment phase (you only want water to inject during acceleration.)
Old 04-30-03, 11:58 PM
Dimcorner
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

most of the reason why people don't do it is cuz is not a plug and play kit.
second reason i can think of is that you have to keep your eye on the water level.
third reason is prolly cuz not that many people have turbos on their sc's yet.
Old 05-01-03, 02:40 AM
Camshaft
Lead Lap

We used to run that on our IMCA modified. Lowers the temperature and decreases detonation, but I do not think that unless you only drive the car once a month for less than a few hours, than it is not worth it. Great just for a track car. Just a PITA to run down with the truck to the fuel dump and buy a 55 gallon drum of race alcohol once every few weeks.

Just want to state that we did not use alcohol injection, and it was on a standard small block 350 with a Holley 4 brl. Did the conversion strictly to keep temperatures down.

Last edited by Camshaft; 05-01-03 at 02:43 AM.
Old 05-01-03, 07:21 AM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Camshaft... Perhaps you don't understand the system. It injects alcohol only when the engine is boosting above a threshold that you set. For instance on a stock compression engine, you may have it start squirting at 7 psi.

The alcohol is injected in very small quantites through a separate nozzle (like NOS). In no way is it diluted in the normal fuel supply. It is only used when the engine is under heavy boost. Therefore just a little dab will do ya. The supply tank under the hood is about the size of a washer fluid reservoir. It lasts anywhere from a week (If you beat the snot out of it) up to a month depending on how often you go over that limit that you set. Since the tank is only about a gallon and can accept normal isopropyl / distilled water mix, the cost is very minimal. When you run out, just stop by walgreens and dump in some 79 cent containers of isopropyl -- doesn't take that much... Probably fill it for a few dollars. That's the beauty---the stuff is cheap - far cheaper than running 116 octane, and very available. An indicator light alerts to a low fluid condition. Performance wise, its like running 116, but with regular 93 octane. Some guys run some water in the mix, some don't.
Old 05-01-03, 07:55 AM
Lvangundy

Ask Lextreme (David) about methanol injection.

I think he's using something similar on his TT LS400.
Old 05-01-03, 08:07 AM
Camshaft
Lead Lap

Ok, I thought you meant actually running alcohol on a fuel injected engine. Interesting theory though. Are there any chemical after-effects?
Old 05-01-03, 11:12 AM
Dimcorner
Pole Position

yeah, your engine is cleaner.
Old 05-02-03, 03:05 PM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

Word of warning. Dont use alcohol with those cheap plastic hose or fluid container. Its very dangerous running alcohol or methanol with those cheap Home Depot 1/4" tubes. I have a kit for SC400, but i am sure will work SC300. I got good hp with alcohol injection. Check it out.
http://www.lextreme.com/methanol.htm

As for water, been there done that. Water injection will slow you down. Either Methanol or Alcohol will give good HP. However, Denature Alcohol is about $10 per gallon and Methanol is about $2.49 per gallon. The problem with Methanol is that you have to purchase it 50 gallon drum.

I have done some comparison but too many variables. I achieved 324.5 rwhp with 8 psi non-intercooled. Root style supercharged system from Australia only making mid 200 rwhp with 6-7 psi. I dont think the methanol system will replace NOS. They are totally different systems
Old 05-02-03, 03:35 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Lextreme
Word of warning. Dont use alcohol with those cheap plastic hose or fluid container. Its very dangerous running alcohol or methanol with those cheap Home Depot 1/4" tubes. I have a kit for SC400, but i am sure will work SC300. I got good hp with alcohol injection. Check it out.

As for water, been there done that. Water injection will slow you down. Either Methanol or Alcohol will give good HP. However, Denature Alcohol is about $10 per gallon and Methanol is about $2.49 per gallon. The problem with Methanol is that you have to purchase it 50 gallon drum.

I have done some comparison but too many variables. I achieved 324.5 rwhp with 8 psi non-intercooled. Root style supercharged system from Australia only making mid 200 rwhp with 6-7 psi. I dont think the methanol system will replace NOS. They are totally different systems
i'm pretty sure you can buy methanol by the quart; its also known as 'Heet'
Old 05-02-03, 04:17 PM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Originally posted by Lextreme
I see you list your kit for the SC400 as well. What benefit does this have for a N/A engine, what type of gain could you expect?

Overclocker
Old 05-02-03, 04:40 PM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

Very Simple. Cooler air will be more dense and more dense air means more power. How much, I dont know. I have never sold one. Secondly, this system would not work on N/A SC400 because you will have difficulties fitting it. If you have Andy's Supercharger or turbo system, it will work great. The location of the air box is the location of the container.