Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Aristo Front Clip Compared to TT Supra Clip.

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-05, 11:59 PM
Sil.n.Ex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC300 Swap. Aristo Front Clip Compared to TT Supra Clip.

Did a search here and on SF...so I hope that someone can clarify this in one post. Planning to do the 2jzgte swap over the summer in my project sc300. What I'm wondering is what kind of differences would I expect to see (and ultimately) have to buy for an aristo clip in order to drop it into an sc? These clips can be had cheaper than the supra's so I just wanted to weigh my options.

One thing I heard was the location of the oil pan, but that's not terribly bad. Something about drilling another hole for another oil line. Anything else?

The only other part that will need to be purchase no matter which clip I go with (that comes to mind) is the USDM/MAP ECU.

Last edited by Sil.n.Ex; 03-18-05 at 01:29 AM.
Old 03-18-05, 03:39 AM
Scooter99
Driver School Candidate

I know that you will need the US Supra power steering resivoir. And a supra cooling fan. Also a few sensors do not plug into the US Supra harness(One of the water temp sensors in the neck) . You use your SC300 oil pan and there is a place to drill one big hole and two small holes. The small holes you tap and get a supra tt oil return Y. Something with the oil filter adapter (Aristo will not work)and something with the power steering pump(Aristos will not work). You can not use the Aristo side mount intercooler set up. You can not use the down pipe. Accually you have to custom make a flange and down pipe for the Aristo twins. It WILL NOT fit a US Supra down pipe, because the outlet from the turbos is so much smaller. You also have to get a Supra dipstick and tube , because the Aristo one will not fit in the SC300 pan and the SC300 one runs into the tt intake manifold. When you get the USDM Supra ECU it is set up for larger high impedence injectors, so you will need a resistor pack and injectors. Remember that you also have a smaller exhaust camshaft and turbo's. If you are going to stick with the auto, you will have a fun time trying to mount the rear trans mount. Also you will need a sc400 output flange, and driveshaft. If you can find a used one (good luck) you will also want to purchase the front and rear driveshaft doughtnuts. There is a bunch more stuff. If you have any questions I will be more than happy to answer them.
Old 03-18-05, 10:56 AM
Sil.n.Ex
Driver School Candidate

Default jdm 2jz might be the best way to go for sc300.

(This post is assuming that I have to go jdm 2jz due to the higher price and low availability of a usdm)

power steering resoivoir - is there any other option than going with the tt supra?

cooling fan - I might just get an electric since this needs to be purchased anyways.

sensors - Yup...I must admit that there no way around this. I jsut hope I can get a hold of the correct wiring diagrams.

oil pan - this isn't so bad and it's just as i presumed

exhaust system - been wondering this. Say I stay stock with a jdm 2jz. All I heard is that I need to remove the pre-cat to make the exhaust setup less restrictive to the turbos. Is this true? Would you recommend still getting a larger diameter downpipe/midpipe?

intercooler - I'm sure any smic fmic will do, but what about the ic piping? I heard you have to go custom, but could I just get the piping off a tt supra and be done with it?

supra ecu - This I explained more below, but basically for the cost to get an ecu, resistor pack, and bigger injectors, it seems you might as well go standalone. What do most people go with? The AEM is pretty good I hear as well is the PowerFC.

tranny - I havn't purchased my sc300 yet. I'm looking for a 5-speed, but I don't think I'll pass up an autp if I find one in great condition and within budget. My plan is to go 6-speed anyways later on so in either case, the tranny is gunna go. I explained this better below (basically wondering what makes an auto engine different than the 6-speed engine).

output flange / driveshage - How come I need one from an sc400? Why isn't the stock one on the sc300 good enough?

What other additional stuff would yoube referring to?

Wow, I had no idea that there was that much stuff in addtion that one needed for the conversion. I guess the conclusion we can make is to not go for the aristo clip for the sc as it's not cost efficient since alot of the parts will not be used? I will try my hardest to find a usdm 2jz, but I have a feeling that for the price (and since I'm staying stock engine at first) I will be going jdm 2jz. As for the ecu, since I have to get the stock 550 injectors and a resistor back to boot, it might be worth while just to upgrade to a standalone now as I am going to go big power later on so might as well run a stock (slightly detuned) usdm tt supra map.

Conclusion...aristo only came in auto and i'm planning to go 6-speed probably (although not at first) so that's another consideration. Will the R154 or V160 bolt up to the aristo engine? Better yet, I've seen jdm 2jz's be offered in both auto and 6-speed and I've been wondering what the physical diferences between the engines are as the 6-speed version is more money. So what's your ultimate conclusion for swap?
Old 03-18-05, 12:14 PM
Scooter99
Driver School Candidate

I can honestly say that getting a USDM Supra that has been wrecked, etc for 10k or less will be the same cost in the end if not less than trying to use the Aristo. When I get more time later on in the day I will go ahead and answer all of the questions you had.
Old 03-18-05, 04:22 PM
BigManne
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

im curious about how hard it is to use a usdm 2jz gte with auto trans in a sc300. thats what i want to do in the long run. i dont want a 6 speed. i want auto. i have noticed that all the gte swaps are 6 speeds. does anyone have an auto in a sc300?
Old 03-18-05, 08:42 PM
Scooter99
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BigManne
im curious about how hard it is to use a usdm 2jz gte with auto trans in a sc300. thats what i want to do in the long run. i dont want a 6 speed. i want auto. i have noticed that all the gte swaps are 6 speeds. does anyone have an auto in a sc300?
Yes there is one here in Chicago. It works flawlessly. You just have to purchase an auto ecu and harness. And like I said in the other post, the flange and driveshaft. It is simpler than the 6spd (no transmission tunnel modifications).
Old 03-18-05, 08:45 PM
Scooter99
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Sil.n.Ex
(This post is assuming that I have to go jdm 2jz due to the higher price and low availability of a usdm)

power steering resoivoir - is there any other option than going with the tt supra?

cooling fan - I might just get an electric since this needs to be purchased anyways.

sensors - Yup...I must admit that there no way around this. I jsut hope I can get a hold of the correct wiring diagrams.

oil pan - this isn't so bad and it's just as i presumed

exhaust system - been wondering this. Say I stay stock with a jdm 2jz. All I heard is that I need to remove the pre-cat to make the exhaust setup less restrictive to the turbos. Is this true? Would you recommend still getting a larger diameter downpipe/midpipe?

intercooler - I'm sure any smic fmic will do, but what about the ic piping? I heard you have to go custom, but could I just get the piping off a tt supra and be done with it?

supra ecu - This I explained more below, but basically for the cost to get an ecu, resistor pack, and bigger injectors, it seems you might as well go standalone. What do most people go with? The AEM is pretty good I hear as well is the PowerFC.

tranny - I havn't purchased my sc300 yet. I'm looking for a 5-speed, but I don't think I'll pass up an autp if I find one in great condition and within budget. My plan is to go 6-speed anyways later on so in either case, the tranny is gunna go. I explained this better below (basically wondering what makes an auto engine different than the 6-speed engine).

output flange / driveshage - How come I need one from an sc400? Why isn't the stock one on the sc300 good enough?

What other additional stuff would yoube referring to?

Wow, I had no idea that there was that much stuff in addtion that one needed for the conversion. I guess the conclusion we can make is to not go for the aristo clip for the sc as it's not cost efficient since alot of the parts will not be used? I will try my hardest to find a usdm 2jz, but I have a feeling that for the price (and since I'm staying stock engine at first) I will be going jdm 2jz. As for the ecu, since I have to get the stock 550 injectors and a resistor back to boot, it might be worth while just to upgrade to a standalone now as I am going to go big power later on so might as well run a stock (slightly detuned) usdm tt supra map.

Conclusion...aristo only came in auto and i'm planning to go 6-speed probably (although not at first) so that's another consideration. Will the R154 or V160 bolt up to the aristo engine? Better yet, I've seen jdm 2jz's be offered in both auto and 6-speed and I've been wondering what the physical diferences between the engines are as the 6-speed version is more money. So what's your ultimate conclusion for swap?
Ok I decided that it would be easier to beable to help you out via PM's or email, when you are really ready to do the swap. P.S. Get a Supra doner. LOL
Old 03-18-05, 11:22 PM
BigManne
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooter99
Yes there is one here in Chicago. It works flawlessly. You just have to purchase an auto ecu and harness. And like I said in the other post, the flange and driveshaft. It is simpler than the 6spd (no transmission tunnel modifications).
gangsta