Cargo size measurement for NX

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-15, 02:14 PM
davepdc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cargo size measurement for NX

Hi guys-
I currently own an Acura RDX and am interested in the NX but believe the cargo area might be a non-starter based on reviews, but wanted to double check. Can anyone provide a couple measurements for me? I need to fit a dog crate into the back. It's a special crate for SUVs, I took a photo of this for reference:
https://i.imgur.com/8mu8qfj.jpg

The crate has a base of 36" W x 30" L/D x 26" H. It actually tapers toward the top (to help fit in with sloping rear seats/lift gate) so the top dimensions are 36" W x 17" L/D x 26" H.

There's obviously some guess work without trying to put this in the vehicle, so the three main questions are:

1. Is the floor, with seats up, at least 36"W x 30" L/D ?
2. Is the height of the opening height at least 26" ?
3. Is the distance from the top of the seat to the back of ~ closed gate 17" ?

Thanks for any help! I went to the nearest dealership here today but they didn't have one for me to look at, so trying to avoid an hour drive to the next one.

David
Old 02-08-15, 02:26 PM
jimp
Driver School Candidate

page 11 post #151 of the specs thread has the measurments
Old 02-08-15, 02:51 PM
davepdc
Driver School Candidate

Ah thank you for that! Ok so it's going to be close. It looks like what I really need is the length of the piece that holds the shelf. That will give me a better idea of the severity of slope of seats/door.

I've marked the measurement I need if anyone has an NX they could pull the measurement from. Thank you!

Old 02-08-15, 03:49 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

The measurement you're asking shows for a more than adequate amount of room. However, you need further measurements since apart from the sloping rear glass, the roof curves on the inside from left to right decreasing the height from 26 1/4" in the middle to about 25 1/4". The span to this lower point across the opening is ~30". It's going to be close. See pics.

To be more certain, you'll need to take these exact measurements (your pic below), then I can double-check for you.
Attached Thumbnails Cargo size measurement for NX-nx_depth.jpg   Cargo size measurement for NX-nx_depth1.jpg   Cargo size measurement for NX-nx_depth2.jpg   Cargo size measurement for NX-rdx_dog.jpg  
Old 02-08-15, 07:28 PM
davepdc
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
To be more certain, you'll need to take these exact measurements (your pic below), then I can double-check for you.
First, thank you taking such great photos. I tried to take a few photos for measurement in the dark and they're not great; but here's what I've got:

It's kind of awkward shape but I think I've gotten all the key dimensions down. I appreciate the help!
Old 02-08-15, 07:40 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

^^^ That's good info. Image is chopped but assuming the height is 25.5" ?
Old 02-08-15, 09:12 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

It's tight... With the rear seats at a normal incline, I don't see the dog crate fitting (pic below) and the unfortunate thing is we're talking a quarter or half an inch where the 17" dimension of the crate would hit the rear glass. If the seat is reclined more upright, it creates about an additional 1/2" at the floor allowing you to push the crate further inward making the crate possibly fit (not hitting the rear glass). Also, the 28" across on center ends at a point in the ceiling where it's just over 25.5" blocking the seat belt opening for the middle passenger but it does fit here (barely).

If the crate is a make-or-break decision for the NX, I would strongly suggest making the trip to the dealer and testing it out. You may also want to test it without any carpet to save another 1/8"-3/16". (My measurements were with the Lexus cargo mat)

Good luck and keep us posted!
Attached Thumbnails Cargo size measurement for NX-nx_crate1.jpg  
Old 02-08-15, 10:27 PM
davepdc
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
If the crate is a make-or-break decision for the NX, I would strongly suggest making the trip to the dealer and testing it out. You may also want to test it without any carpet to save another 1/8"-3/16". (My measurements were with the Lexus cargo mat)

Good luck and keep us posted!
Thanks again for doing all that work. More than I could possibly have hoped for. I feel like it's close enough just to break my heart when it doesn't fit by a quarter inch. But, it's also close enough to make a trip out to double check. I'll try this upcoming weekend and post an update.

thanks again!
Old 02-09-15, 07:54 AM
typocl
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

Am I the only one who wants to see a picture of his dog? That cage looks like it can hold bigfoot...
Old 02-09-15, 07:58 AM
Lexinator
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by typocl
Am I the only one who wants to see a picture of his dog? That cage looks like it can hold bigfoot...

Me too! Would like to see that pup
Old 02-12-15, 08:03 AM
Jetstar
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Comparing cargo capacities

I compared dimensions of the NX300h with the RX450h on the Lexus site. Most interior dimensions were similar; leg room, shoulder, hip, etc. However, the cargo room behind rear seats really surprised me. It's 16.7 cu ft for the NX300h, and it's 40.0 cu ft for the RX450h. Can it really be 140% more for the RX?
Old 02-12-15, 06:48 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Based on my RX ownership and MEASUREMENTS HERE, the RX does not add up to be almost 3x the size of the NX. The only logical conclusion I have come up with is the full cargo space volume is closer to the high 20s cu ft while the 17 cu ft cargo is based on the volume underneath the rigid tonneau cover. This is also consistent with the 450-500L measurement of the NX from the European standard which measures beneath the tonneau cover.

Another case in point . A Honda Fit is rated at 16.6 cu ft, same as the NX??? Again, common sense prevails here showing the NX clearly much larger in volume.

It's too bad Lexus USA and Canada are not advertising the true cargo volume behind the seats like the rest of the competition does where their figures are between 26-32 cu ft. People who shop based on stats alone where cargo is a priority, will quickly dismiss the NX.
Attached Thumbnails Cargo size measurement for NX-nx_fit.jpg  

Last edited by corradoMR2; 02-23-15 at 05:34 PM.
Old 02-15-15, 05:30 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 108 Likes on 79 Posts

corradoMR2 your posts are always so useful... pictures tell full story here.
Old 02-15-15, 07:10 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Thanks spwolf. In fact, I've contacted Lexus Canada and they're looking into it.
Old 03-08-15, 12:17 AM
KJL
Driver School Candidate

Default Maximum trunk load? how many suitcases?

hey guys

Just wondering how many suitcases can you fit in NX's trunk? (without the top cover) is the trunk deep enough to keep the suitcases standing up? anyone got maximum loading pic?

thanks!

Quick Reply: Cargo size measurement for NX