NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

clunks over cobblestone road

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-19, 05:18 AM
jsmith
Pit Crew

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts
Default clunks over cobblestone road

My new-to-me '15 nx has been pretty smooth and solid in the couple of months that i've had her. Over the weekend I was in NYC and drove over the old section in the "historic" part of the city that has cobblestone streets. I distinctly heard clunking in the left front and right rear as well. I know that cobblestones are a true torture test for suspensions. I have <22k on the ODO, how likely is it that suspension pieces - bushings, links etc, are worn to cause this? I have done a cursory search and have not seen reports of this issue. I am posting this prior to calling in and talking to a service rep, whom I kinda expect to blow me off with the relatively low mileage on my vehicle. Any help would be appreciated...

Old 03-21-19, 06:08 AM
jdt
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jsmith
My new-to-me '15 nx has been pretty smooth and solid in the couple of months that i've had her. Over the weekend I was in NYC and drove over the old section in the "historic" part of the city that has cobblestone streets. I distinctly heard clunking in the left front and right rear as well. I know that cobblestones are a true torture test for suspensions. I have <22k on the ODO, how likely is it that suspension pieces - bushings, links etc, are worn to cause this? I have done a cursory search and have not seen reports of this issue. I am posting this prior to calling in and talking to a service rep, whom I kinda expect to blow me off with the relatively low mileage on my vehicle. Any help would be appreciated...
have you done any rust proofing or undercoating on the car?
Old 03-21-19, 06:45 AM
jsmith
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by jdt
have you done any rust proofing or undercoating on the car?
I saw those posts about rust proofing causing problems with bushings. I have not applied rust proofing (nor the PO that I know) - I have checked visually and do not see spraying underneath. I was just thinking that with the higher ride height and longer wheel travel might be a factor? Has anyone driven over cobblestone streets without issue?
Old 03-21-19, 07:06 AM
no1SomeGuy
Advanced

Received 92 Likes on 70 Posts

Could be just something rolling around in your trunk or similar...I'd check interior stuff before I suspect suspension. Otherwise, I doubt you've worn out any bushings by this point, more likely would be something broken.
Old 03-21-19, 11:18 AM
jsmith
Pit Crew

I'll talk to a service advisor, see what they say.
Old 03-21-19, 01:09 PM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 228 Likes on 204 Posts

Welcome to my 2015NX. Clunks exactly in the left tire well area, roughly my knee level.
First time I brought it in, they took 10 days to figure it out. Replaced both front struts. Then placed "suspension ears" onto the car and finally simply tightened all suspension connections. "they self loosened" per advisor.
Clunk went away but returned in few weeks. I brought it in one more time, literally 2 days before my bumper to bumper expiration. They test drove it for ten miles and didn't hear anything.
I simply waved my hand on this. I have several videos of that clunk, I have spot on my way down to FWY, where it clunks 9 out of 10. I have several normal routes spots, where it always clunks, I already know those spots. I believe, it's infamous intermediate steering shaft, Toyota had issues with them, just like GM.
If something breaks now, I'll hold them liable as I warned them of that clunk. Trying to sell this car, not much worried about that clunk.
The following users liked this post:
jsmith (03-23-19)
Old 03-23-19, 07:00 AM
jsmith
Pit Crew

thanks, and of course they could not reproduce it. i DID tell them it only happened so far in NYC cobblestone streets. i was able to reproduce it while i was in the city over those streets easily. otherwise, it hasn't happened anywhere else even driving over moderately rough roads and potholes. i just wanted them to check and make sure there was nothing obviously loose or broken. i pointed out they didn't test on cobblestone streets obviously. good to know about the intermediate steering shaft will look into it further.

PS found something at this link - may just re-torque and keep an eye on it. steering knock

Last edited by jsmith; 03-23-19 at 07:07 AM.
Old 03-23-19, 06:32 PM
ukrkoz
Racer

As I said, I believe it's ISS - intermediate steering shaft knock. Been going on for years.
Old 03-23-19, 08:31 PM
no1SomeGuy
Advanced

Received 92 Likes on 70 Posts

I'm betting it's just something rattling around in the trunk under the floor.
Old 03-24-19, 05:52 AM
jsmith
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by no1SomeGuy
I'm betting it's just something rattling around in the trunk under the floor.
Nope, everything's snug in the trunk. I know because I had to top up the pressure in the donut.
Old 03-24-19, 01:10 PM
ukrkoz
Racer

Here's video of me pulling out of garage.
I park atop of scissor lift, so front wheels go up onto the 4 in platform then down. You can easily hear loud metal clunk right after wheels went down off the platform. This was actually first time, today, when this happened pulling out

https://drive.google.com/open?id=14D...obKhu3wwcq5F_h

Here's video of clunk over the imperfection in the road. There is some sort of depression in it, during left hand turn. Clunk is heard ar approximately second 6. I have clunk there 10 out of 10. Have severla videos of it happening.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1fD...iLULLOh_aI2Igb
Old 03-25-19, 01:46 AM
chezgk
Intermediate

Received 83 Likes on 61 Posts

Does the steering wheel feel vague and lost? If so, you might want to check the lower arm bushings out. The sound this makes would be similar to what you have on video, a somewhat low-pitched clunk seemingly muffled by soft parts.

Does your unit have Yamaha lateral dampers like the F-Sport's? If so, you might want to check if they loosened themselves up. Mine did, and I only found out after spending 4 digits on suspension parts. This involves removing wiper arms and taking the cowl apart. The noise pertinent to this was a mid/high-pitched metal-to-metal sound (similar to the sound a shock absorber makes when you fully compress it by hand or when you tap the butt of a screwdriver on your car's lower arms). If you don't have lateral dampers, it might still be worth checking out since there are 10 M6 bolts mounting the cowl to the vehicle body. The cowl is also sandwiched by an M10 bolt coming out of the black plate attached to each front strut ( lower half of black plate visible when you open the hood). Any one of these loose would produce annoying noises at every bit of chassis/body flex.

EDIT: GO EASY ON THE M6 BOLTS WHEN TIGHTENING. THEY ARE ZINC BOLTS AND BREAK EASILY. MINE DID. I ordered stainless steel M6 bolts and washers from Amazon to replace all of them.

Partial instructions from TRAV4.net

Photo from JP-Carparts to guide you beyond TRAV4's instructions:

Some photos from my project:

Black plate:

Dismantled cowl:

Hope this helps you.

Last edited by chezgk; 03-26-19 at 07:13 PM.
Old 03-25-19, 02:57 PM
ukrkoz
Racer

Thank you.
In my case, noise is coming from much lower area. I am 6'4'' so sitting in driver seat, if you draw a straight line from my eyes, through the left knee, and pierce the firewall, it will come from there. Also, It is often felt in steering wheel. Steering wheel has to be ever so gently turned - or a lot - but turned - to the left, for the sound to appear.
It is not dull. It is very sharp, like as if something cracked moves inside metal chamber. Like something is torn apart.
Old 03-26-19, 07:06 PM
chezgk
Intermediate

Received 83 Likes on 61 Posts

If the wheel has to be turned one direction then it might have something to do with the steering linkages. You can also get under the car and check if you can turn/swivel the tie rod assemblies by hand. You can also stand beside the vehicle with the door opened, tug the steering wheel left and right just enough to encounter resistance, and listen for the sounds you hear. Either of the above would indicate worn steering linkages. Fortunately, they're cheap to replace, and I've replaced both inner and outer tie rods on mine.

Interestingly, the loose lateral dampers I encountered made noises that seemed to come from the lower kick panel, despite them being mounted so high up.

Lastly, the above suggestions are given only in the context that you have already taken the vehicle to the dealer with no resolution. To anyone else reading this, I'd recommend taking the vehicle to the dealer first rather than go at it on your own. I only didn't take my NX in due to the presence of several aftermarket suspension bits.
Old 03-27-19, 12:09 PM
ukrkoz
Racer

It's been at dealer twice. Read my previous posts on this. I also said several times - it's ISS, which is "steering linkage". Maybe. As it does this also with wheel straight. I really don't care anymore, it's for sale. Entire suspenmsion starts going unhinged at 37K miles. Not a solid commuting vehicle for ****ty roads around here.