Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Daizen sways on Ortega Highway

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-06, 08:33 PM
Lvangundy

Default Daizen sways on Ortega Highway

I did about 80 miles today on Ortega Hwy..back and forth 4 times, sometimes waiting for slow traffic..chasing other cars..

The handling aspects are much improved over stock. Street driving doesn't seem to be greatly different, but tight turns and highspeed manuvering are much better. I could hit high teens through swooping corners (~70mph.) There is much less traction loss (no squealing.) I'm still trying to find something that makes this car handle better, but it seems to be a chassis limitation. I wish the sways corrected about 15% more of the roll because it's still there. I guess wheels (255 all around maybe..) would be the next step.

I made a friend up there, a guy with a 04' Yamaha (something) 1000. We met at the end and chatted it up about cars/bikes and went back up for a few more runs. I went to the end and saw him in the dirt. Apparently he had crashed chasing another guy on a bike and went into a ditch. He and the bike were OK though.
Old 04-16-06, 09:58 PM
FutureGS400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure what other suspension mods you have, but I changed out the Daizen sways for the TRD blue sways for a bit more roll stiffness. With the other mods I have (Tom's braces, Tein CS) and the staggered wheel/tire setup I feel that the car is about the best handling vs. ride compromise I could get considering it is not a sports car but a fairly large, heavy 4 door luxury sedan. The only thing left I want to do is the Tom's 6 piece rear links.
All the different pieces work together so the trick is to find the right combination for your style of driving. Ortega hwy is great!
EDIT: OK, I read your other post and now I see your other susp. mods! So you had stock sways and sounds like stock size tires and wheels?
Originally Posted by Lvangundy
I did about 80 miles today on Ortega Hwy..back and forth 4 times, sometimes waiting for slow traffic..chasing other cars..

The handling aspects are much improved over stock. Street driving doesn't seem to be greatly different, but tight turns and highspeed manuvering are much better. I could hit high teens through swooping corners (~70mph.) There is much less traction loss (no squealing.) I'm still trying to find something that makes this car handle better, but it seems to be a chassis limitation. I wish the sways corrected about 15% more of the roll because it's still there. I guess wheels (255 all around maybe..) would be the next step.

I made a friend up there, a guy with a 04' Yamaha (something) 1000. We met at the end and chatted it up about cars/bikes and went back up for a few more runs. I went to the end and saw him in the dirt. Apparently he had crashed chasing another guy on a bike and went into a ditch. He and the bike were OK though.

Last edited by FutureGS400; 04-17-06 at 08:56 AM.
Old 04-16-06, 11:22 PM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like you had way too much fun up and down that canyon....
Old 04-17-06, 12:49 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by FutureGS400
Not sure what other suspension mods you have, but I changed out the Daizen sways for the TRD blue sways for a bit more roll stiffness. With the other mods I have (Tom's braces, Tein CS) and the staggered wheel/tire setup I feel that the car is about the best handling vs. ride compromise I could get considering it is not a sports car but a fairly large, heavy 4 door luxury sedan. The only thing left I want to do is the Tom's 6 piece rear links.
All the different pieces work together so the trick is to find the right combination for your style of driving. Ortega hwy is great!
EDIT: OK, I read your other post and now I see your other susp. mods! So you had stock sways and sounds like stock size tires and wheels?

Since you are almost up to the level of suspension mods I have. It will be interesting to see your thoughts on adding just the 6 link at this point.

When it comes to all the braces that Tom's sells plus all other chassis mods available, the remarks people give on a certain mod have varied partially because of the order in which they were installed.

In the end it is a very simple concept to say the more chassis stiffening, the better the car will feel / react in that area of improvement. At the same time, the ride harshness will increase accordingly. This never ends.

We all have our different limits on handling versus ride.

So it will be interesting to see what you feel about the 6 link mod since you appear to have most of the other ones done already.
Old 04-17-06, 07:02 PM
FutureGS400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RMMGS4
Since you are almost up to the level of suspension mods I have. It will be interesting to see your thoughts on adding just the 6 link at this point.

When it comes to all the braces that Tom's sells plus all other chassis mods available, the remarks people give on a certain mod have varied partially because of the order in which they were installed.

In the end it is a very simple concept to say the more chassis stiffening, the better the car will feel / react in that area of improvement. At the same time, the ride harshness will increase accordingly. This never ends.

We all have our different limits on handling versus ride.

So it will be interesting to see what you feel about the 6 link mod since you appear to have most of the other ones done already.
Agreed!
I would add that we also get used to the changes we make and any increased ride harshness as time goes on. I have been very pleased with the handling improvement and ride harshness trade-off so far. I am curious as to the change the 6 link will make.
Should find out pretty soon!
My point to Lvangundy was that although we can make out cars handle VERY well, we can't change the laws of physics (obviously) and besides, we bought a Lexus for more than the ultimate cornering capability.
It would be fun to get a CL drive down Ortega Hwy sometime-it's been many years since I've done it...
Old 04-17-06, 11:42 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by FutureGS400
Agreed!
I would add that we also get used to the changes we make and any increased ride harshness as time goes on. I have been very pleased with the handling improvement and ride harshness trade-off so far. I am curious as to the change the 6 link will make.
Should find out pretty soon!
My point to Lvangundy was that although we can make out cars handle VERY well, we can't change the laws of physics (obviously) and besides, we bought a Lexus for more than the ultimate cornering capability.
It would be fun to get a CL drive down Ortega Hwy sometime-it's been many years since I've done it...

I paced a Subaru WRX up a local twisty mountain road last week, late at night.

I kept up with him in the turns (which I coluld tell that he knew the road well, I didn't) then I caught up to him on the short straights with all the torque we have. I kept it in 2nd or 3rd gear most of the way. Glad I had a tranny cooler for this occaision.

Since I didn't know the road I never could have kept his speed if I led the way. I had his lights as a guide. For about 10 min I would catch him, then lay back a little and catch up again. I didn't push him cuz I wasn't trying to pass and I knew I couldn't lead as fast as he was going.

Lot of fun to keep up with the wrx. My car felt so stable and controlled the whole way. I knew there was a lot of handling left over and the car just took the turns with no drama. I felt like I was driving a video game.

So you are right, if we wanted to tear up the streets, a Porsche or other sports car is a better starting point. Nevertheless, I would of wanted to see the wrx guys face when we reached the fork in the road with a stop sign and as he turned to go the opposite way I was headed, I know he was looking back to see what was following him.

I'm sure seeing a big 4 door luxo car was not what he expected to be keeping up with him.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 04-17-06 at 11:46 PM.
Old 04-18-06, 06:28 AM
Lvangundy

I've chased my friends WRX through Topanga and Las Flores in Malibu..I'll just say I didn't really have a chance through 80% of the trip. In 2004, My IS300 was able to keep up in the corners but fell behind in the straights.

After going up and down Ortega I realzied the 'handling' is much better but I still don't think the GS would be able to keep up with the WRX in it's current form. I personally could really care less about ride quality when my goal is to have the boat GS carve canyons.

Most of the time I'll be in 2nd or 3rd at peak in 2nd @ 5,000RPM using the engine as a brake and also to get out in the power range which is below 5KRPM..I've driven pretty insane through Malibu, dangerously..If I get really daring I'll take off TRAC. heh.

I'm always down for canyon runs, but still would love to track the car (legally! hah)
Old 04-18-06, 09:35 AM
FutureGS400
Lexus Test Driver

I've chased my friends WRX through Topanga and Las Flores in Malibu..I'll just say I didn't really have a chance through 80% of the trip. In 2004, My IS300 was able to keep up in the corners but fell behind in the straights.

After going up and down Ortega I realzied the 'handling' is much better but I still don't think the GS would be able to keep up with the WRX in it's current form. I personally could really care less about ride quality when my goal is to have the boat GS carve canyons.

Most of the time I'll be in 2nd or 3rd at peak in 2nd @ 5,000RPM using the engine as a brake and also to get out in the power range which is below 5KRPM..I've driven pretty insane through Malibu, dangerously..If I get really daring I'll take off TRAC. heh.

I'm always down for canyon runs, but still would love to track the car (legally! hah)
What kind of tire/wheel setup are you running? All the suspension mods in the world won't do the job without max. performance rubber in the right size...
BTW, having fun in the canyons is fine, but driving "insane" or "dangerously" can quickly turn into a tragedy-for you or innocent motorists! I have seen more than my share and it is NOT WORTH IT! No "undo" button in real life... "This has been a public service announcement"
Old 04-18-06, 11:25 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What wheels and tires are on your car right now? These will also make a difference. If you take a curve and the tires want to give out, it does not matter that the car can go harder.

I personally could really care less about ride quality when my goal is to have the boat GS carve canyons.
If you truly could care less about the ride quality, here are a few more tweaks:
- Get it aligned at a shop that can and has done race tuning. This will include corner balancing of your coilovers.
- Swap out the CS for the Flex or one of the stiffer ones (HA, SS, ...)
- Swap out the Daizens for TRD blues. This will give you a tiny bit more.

All this will probably get you as close as physics will allow. The GS will always be a heavy 4 door sedan.
Old 04-18-06, 01:14 PM
Lvangundy

Stock 17" GS wheels..tires are..Kumho Ecsta X2 or something?

I want 18" SSR Type-C (Competitions) with 255 up front and 275/285 in the rear. Of course I'd really want 355s in the back..but uh .. they don't really fit.

Thx for the recommendations Neo!