NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Retrofit homelink mirror?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-15, 01:03 PM
filippos
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Retrofit homelink mirror?

Does anyone know if i could retrofit the mirror with homelink ? if yes is there a part number ?

thanks,
Old 04-02-15, 06:41 PM
ALE81
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know about retrofitting the mirror in the NX specifically but I've retrofit several Homelink mirrors in other vehicles. They were a very easy install. The mirror manufacturer is Gentex with many models available. Below is a link to one available on ebay that is similar to the NX. The mirror normally attaches to the same window button and I pull power from the sunroof. Most of the time there is a spare connector so it's plug and play. As always, your method may vary....http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-GENTEX-GENK41-REAR-VIEW-MIRROR-KIT-AUTO-DIMMING-HOMELINK-/251901319225?hash=item3aa67d1839&vxp=mtr
Old 04-03-15, 01:57 AM
filippos
Driver School Candidate

thank you for your answer i will have a look into that, although i would prefer the original homelink mirror, if anyone else knows anything about it, it would be appreciated. I have talked with our dealer and there is no part number in my country for the mirror, so i am trying to see if i can order it online from another country and fit it here ..

Last edited by filippos; 04-03-15 at 02:20 AM.
Old 04-03-15, 09:27 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by filippos
thank you for your answer i will have a look into that, although i would prefer the original homelink mirror, if anyone else knows anything about it, it would be appreciated. I have talked with our dealer and there is no part number in my country for the mirror, so i am trying to see if i can order it online from another country and fit it here ..
A lot of the OEM are made by Gentek. Get one with Homelilnk and compass from them, instead of over paying for the "OEM"
Old 04-04-15, 02:24 AM
adamsmith
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default DIY homelink mirror

I was opting for one of this mirrors, but since I change often from places I decided to buy some adhesive Velcro and fix the remote I use most to the back of the mirror.
You can't see it from inside, and you barely notice it from outside. It's comfortable and much cheaper than a homelink mirror.
Maybe I'm missing some features?
Old 04-04-15, 03:07 AM
filippos
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by My0gr81
A lot of the OEM are made by Gentek. Get one with Homelilnk and compass from them, instead of over paying for the "OEM"
thanks, i will look it up... i think its Gentex not Gentek ...
Old 04-04-15, 01:36 PM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by adamsmith
I was opting for one of this mirrors, but since I change often from places I decided to buy some adhesive Velcro and fix the remote I use most to the back of the mirror.
You can't see it from inside, and you barely notice it from outside. It's comfortable and much cheaper than a homelink mirror.
Maybe I'm missing some features?
I have homelink on my IS and NX, don't use it on the IS. I keep the remote clipped to side door pocket. I hate it that the homelink is powered even when the car is off. If I leave the car on the driveway, I take the remote with me. The NX never stays on driveway, so I set that up.
Old 04-04-15, 04:51 PM
typocl
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

ok, I didn't know HomeLink is still active when engine and everything is off.
Old 04-09-15, 07:35 AM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Let us know what you went with when it's all done.
Old 04-09-15, 10:36 AM
filippos
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RX469
Let us know what you went with when it's all done.
well, i was thinking of buying the mirror but i have a very small garage remote, so i leave it in the car above the cd player ... on a small shelve ... its very comfortable .. i just press the button without having to take the remote out... so basically its like part of the console ...
Old 04-09-15, 10:55 AM
typocl
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by filippos
well, i was thinking of buying the mirror but i have a very small garage remote, so i leave it in the car above the cd player ... on a small shelve ... its very comfortable .. i just press the button without having to take the remote out... so basically its like part of the console ...
make sure it's not visible when you're elsewhere. I'm sure you have registration papers somewhere with your address in the car. Having the remote out in the open is the same as having a key to the house. Don't want someone to smash the window and grab your address and the remote.
Old 04-09-15, 01:41 PM
filippos
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by typocl
make sure it's not visible when you're elsewhere. I'm sure you have registration papers somewhere with your address in the car. Having the remote out in the open is the same as having a key to the house. Don't want someone to smash the window and grab your address and the remote.
no no, its not visible from anywhere out or in the car.. look over the cd player.. there is a very thin small shelve .. mine fits in there very well.. and there is space to place my finger on top of the remote without taking it out of the shelve... the registration has the address of a company that this car never visits... so no trace to my garage...
Old 08-27-15, 03:04 PM
kunju
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have retro fitted my base NX with HomeLink Auto Dimming mirror for about $45. Base NX comes with Auto Dimming Gentex 533 mirror. I bought a Gentex 536 with Auto Dimming and HomeLink, thinking that it would be a direct swap.

Turns out that, even though these have same connectors the pins are not compatible. I got a custom harness made by Bob and everything working great.

Bought Hyundai/Kia OEM Gentex 536 Auto Dimming mirror from http://www.ebay.com/usr/hawjodadam?_...p2047675.l2559

Contact Bob at http://www.bobsmirrors.com/ and request a invoice for a harness

BTW, these two are extremely professional and ships the item quickly.

Please mention you saw this on Club Lexus forum and Bob should know which Harness are we talking about as I have sent him the pictures of all connectors.

Hope this helps
Old 09-17-15, 12:34 PM
jtb200t
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kunju
I have retro fitted my base NX with HomeLink Auto Dimming mirror for about $45. Base NX comes with Auto Dimming Gentex 533 mirror. I bought a Gentex 536 with Auto Dimming and HomeLink, thinking that it would be a direct swap.

Turns out that, even though these have same connectors the pins are not compatible. I got a custom harness made by Bob and everything working great.

Bought Hyundai/Kia OEM Gentex 536 Auto Dimming mirror from http://www.ebay.com/usr/hawjodadam?_...p2047675.l2559

Contact Bob at http://www.bobsmirrors.com/ and request a invoice for a harness

BTW, these two are extremely professional and ships the item quickly.

Please mention you saw this on Club Lexus forum and Bob should know which Harness are we talking about as I have sent him the pictures of all connectors.

Hope this helps
I mentioned your post to Bob and he didn't give me the option of a custom harness..

We can provide a harness for these mirrors, not a problem there. However, it is not a plug & play harness; rather just a universal harness, so you will have to make the ignition, battery & ground connections on your own. While we do have various plug & play harnesses available for some vehicles, the only Lexus vehicle we currently have in our plug & play offering are the IS models from the mid-2000's.

So if you would like to purchase the harness, they are $26, and they are long enough to reach the bottom of the dash if needed, although most vehicles nowadays have enough wiring at the overhead console that you may very well be able to tap into one of those wires and not have to run the wires all the way to the bottom of the dash. The kit includes T-taps & zip ties too.
Old 09-25-15, 11:13 AM
kunju
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear that he was not helpful. Thank you and I think I should take my post down!

Quick Reply: Retrofit homelink mirror?