NELOC Home of the North East Lexus Owners Club

NYPD Cracking Down on Tints

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-11, 05:28 PM
NYCIS350
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got a tint ticket today....damn nyc, cant roll in style. Time to take them off.....
Old 01-25-11, 09:22 PM
lowKut
NELOC Moderator

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by NYCIS350
I got a tint ticket today....damn nyc, cant roll in style. Time to take them off.....
Sorry to hear. Where did you get the ticket and percent tint do you have?
Did you get a ticket for each window?
Old 01-26-11, 08:23 AM
NYCIS350
Driver

i got it on astoria blvd, 8 in the morning near the N train....20% front and rear.....
Old 02-09-11, 07:01 AM
lowKut
NELOC Moderator

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Here is a quick update on my summons for my two front tinted windows which I just came back from the hearing.

I presented the judge with my receipt of the removal of the tints which was dated 1/30/11 (ticket was issued 12/19/2010) and apologize for being ignorant of the law as I just purchased the vehicle 2 weeks prior.

Judge indicated I waited too long to get them taken off which I had to pay a $5 fine plus $50 surcharge.

Anyone know the normal fee for illegal tints in NYS?

Last edited by lowKut; 02-09-11 at 07:06 AM.
Old 02-09-11, 07:18 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lowKut
Here is a quick update on my summons for my two front tinted windows which I just came back from the hearing.

I presented the judge with my receipt of the removal of the tints which was dated 1/30/11 (ticket was issued 12/19/2010) and apologize for being ignorant of the law as I just purchased the vehicle 2 weeks prior.

Judge indicated I waited too long to get them taken off which I had to pay a $5 fine plus $50 surcharge.

Anyone know the normal fee for illegal tints in NYS?
Exactly, that's why you have the shop post date the receipt for the day after you receive the ticket. When you get tints installed, it's a good idea to ask whether they would be willing to do that for you if you ever get a ticket.

Most good shops offer a lifetime warranty I believe and it doesn't cost them anything to write you the receipt (even though I wouldn't mind paying a $5 surcharge or something like that for the receipt) and they should be willing to do that to keep your business or have you provide a recommendation.

I wanna say the ticket is $90 but I've never been able to find it in writing anywhere. I paid $10 the last time I got a ticket (pre-shield/PBA) and no surcharges with the 'day after' receipt and an apology.

That's sucks but if $90 was the amount, its still a savings. lol, a half a tank of gas worth
Old 02-12-11, 10:18 AM
ErseOne
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
Exactly, that's why you have the shop post date the receipt for the day after you receive the ticket. When you get tints installed, it's a good idea to ask whether they would be willing to do that for you if you ever get a ticket.

Most good shops offer a lifetime warranty I believe and it doesn't cost them anything to write you the receipt (even though I wouldn't mind paying a $5 surcharge or something like that for the receipt) and they should be willing to do that to keep your business or have you provide a recommendation.

I wanna say the ticket is $90 but I've never been able to find it in writing anywhere. I paid $10 the last time I got a ticket (pre-shield/PBA) and no surcharges with the 'day after' receipt and an apology.

That's sucks but if $90 was the amount, its still a savings. lol, a half a tank of gas worth

What's the point of getting a reciept written up if you're gonna keep the same tints on and most likely get pulled over again? I believe it is all entered into their database, so if they pull up your info they can see you were summoned for tints already and "supposedly had it removed".

I think tints fall under "equipment" on the back of the ticket which is $90.
Old 02-12-11, 11:29 AM
8TREYLOC
Driver School Candidate

funny thing is that they give us tickets for tints but u should c some of the officers personal cars lol smh . They enforce the law but turns around and brake it them self. SMH
Old 02-12-11, 02:39 PM
Sash
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 8TREYLOC
funny thing is that they give us tickets for tints but u should c some of the officers personal cars lol smh . They enforce the law but turns around and brake it them self. SMH
Everyone's different. Most of the guy's who have tints on their personal vehicles, rarely ever give out tint tickets to others.
Old 02-14-11, 11:19 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ErseOne
What's the point of getting a reciept written up if you're gonna keep the same tints on and most likely get pulled over again? I believe it is all entered into their database, so if they pull up your info they can see you were summoned for tints already and "supposedly had it removed".

I think tints fall under "equipment" on the back of the ticket which is $90.
Wasn't claiming it to be a 'ride for free' solution. Obviously if you live in an area where you've gotten multiple tickets for tints, then common sense should tell you to take it off. But if you need to beat one or two every few years or so, it's an option.
Old 02-15-11, 06:59 PM
uz07lex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ever since ive been living in queens ive seen how having tints are a cop magnet. Best thing to do is just take them off unless you want to help NYC become richer.
Old 02-16-11, 07:12 AM
ErseOne
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
Wasn't claiming it to be a 'ride for free' solution. Obviously if you live in an area where you've gotten multiple tickets for tints, then common sense should tell you to take it off. But if you need to beat one or two every few years or so, it's an option.

You're right
Sometimes common sense isn't so common!
Old 05-04-11, 11:44 AM
mr3gs300
Lexus Test Driver

yea in ny it all depends the cop dat pulls you over, and if they have the tint meter too, but its just part of life your gonna run across some ******* shmuck who thinks hes hot **** cause hes a cop or is just jealous of the fact youre driving a nicer car than they drive. so its just the luck of the draw
Old 05-10-11, 02:22 AM
PR FIEBRU
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I believe a car must have 75% viability. The funny thing is that most car glass have 20-25% tint. Meaning u can only add 0-5% before it becomes illegal. From what I've been told only station wagons and suburban may have darker Windows only on the rear passenger and rear glass. Any other sedan or coupe has to obey the 75% rule. :-/
We all know they are illegal as well as other custom things we do to our cars. But we still do it. Price we pay. Some get hit more than others, but eventually get hit.
Old 05-16-11, 06:57 PM
Imnutz4jdm
Lexus Test Driver

I am from CT
and i drove into the city from the westside and at the toll booth a cop stopped me
looked around my car ... said i was too low... gtfoh
then looks through my records
then he comes back and tells me if i wanna drive around ny i gotta make my front windsheild tint 6inchs from top
hahah!!!
no ticket!!
WINNING!!!
Old 09-28-11, 01:09 PM
RBL250
Driver School Candidate

i did 5% all around n ride around with my volunteer badge yay lol

Quick Reply: NYPD Cracking Down on Tints