ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   NELOC (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/neloc-175/)
-   -   NYPD Cracking Down on Tints (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/neloc/542434-nypd-cracking-down-on-tints.html)

lowKut 12-19-10 05:57 PM

NYPD Cracking Down on Tints

This is nothing new but it seems like the year coming to a closure the PD is greedier to make their quota.

Twice in one week (first the city, second Queens) I got pulled over for my tints and ticketed once. I have been driving with dark tints for over 10 years and never receive a summons until now.

IXI187IXI 12-20-10 04:11 AM

consider yourself lucky then. while its still a small issue to some, its still illegal.

what percentage is your tint?

aliga 12-20-10 04:56 AM

you want to ride in darkness, gotta pay the price. not nypds fault.

horent135 12-20-10 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by aliga (Post 6006883)
you want to ride in darkness, gotta pay the price. not nypds fault.

Unless you are batman, then you work for the PD

oohpapi44 12-20-10 08:23 AM

Don't think it qualifies as a crackdown and Aliga is right. If those of us with tints haven't budgeted ticket money (or a good defense) then it's poor planning on our part...

Sorry to hear about your ticket Mark...

excluesive 12-20-10 10:46 AM

word up.. planning for anything is key... if you fail to plan you plan to fail hahahaha

DaSyce 12-20-10 11:29 AM

curious to know the percentage also!

crazybuggy 12-20-10 06:18 PM

i got away once with a DEA card but that was when my 30% tints were still 30%. theyve faded greatly (cheap tints:egads:) over time.

Spyder78 12-20-10 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by lowKut (Post 6006022)
This is nothing new but it seems like the year coming to a closure the PD is greedier to make their quota.

Twice in one week (first the city, second Queens) I got pulled over for my tints and ticketed once. I have been driving with dark tints for over 10 years and never receive a summons until now.

Sorry to hear that Mark, but consider yourself lucky. I've paid over a grand in tint tickets over a period of 4 years. Unfortunately you've got to pay to play:sad:

lowKut 12-21-10 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by Spyder78 (Post 6008746)
Sorry to hear that Mark, but consider yourself lucky. I've paid over a grand in tint tickets over a period of 4 years. Unfortunately you've got to pay to play:sad:

Yes, you defiantly gotta pay to play.

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI (Post 6006856)
what percentage is your tint?

20%

Anyone know if the old trix of getting some pictures w/ the tints off and a receipt fr a shop stating tints were removed still work in Manhattan and Queens County?

oohpapi44 12-21-10 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by lowKut (Post 6009200)

20%

Anyone know if the old trix of getting some pictures w/ the tints off and a receipt fr a shop stating tints were removed still work in Manhattan and Queens County?

No pics needed, just go get a receipt dated the day after the tickets showing tint removal. You won't get it dismissed but it will be reduced. My last one was down to $10.

IXI187IXI 12-21-10 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by lowKut (Post 6009200)

20%

the legal limit in NY is 70% for the sides and any % in the back is legal. I doubt theres much you can do. it sucks but sometimes you have to just suck it up. It seems like NY are much harsher on fines than they are here in Pa so it may be cheaper to get the tint removed, show them the receipt from having it removed and then retiniting if you prefer.

LiCelsior 12-21-10 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by oohpapi44 (Post 6009331)
No pics needed, just go get a receipt dated the day after the tickets showing tint removal. You won't get it dismissed but it will be reduced. My last one was down to $10.

when i did that, the judge said it doesnt matter. u had tints on during the time of the offense so i had to pay the full amount but gonna fight that along with the driving slow ticket.

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI (Post 6009361)
the legal limit in NY is 70% for the sides and any % in the back is legal. I doubt theres much you can do. it sucks but sometimes you have to just suck it up. It seems like NY are much harsher on fines than they are here in Pa so it may be cheaper to get the tint removed, show them the receipt from having it removed and then retiniting if you prefer.

i think its illegal to have any % on the door windows now. my friend got 4 tickets, one for each window.

Mike813 12-21-10 07:32 AM

In new jersey theres a state law not allowing ANY tint period on the front 3 windows. not even one of those walmart sun shade things. they will fail you asap on your inspection and log it in their system when your time comes.

In NY they usually do not bust out the detector to rate your tints but as long as they can see you when they do a random check youre "usually" fine to go. its just a safety issue, you just never know whos behind that window aiming a weapon right at you, youre family or the officer. a crazy world we live in but its life

IXI187IXI 12-21-10 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by LiCelsior (Post 6009384)
i think its illegal to have any % on the door windows now. my friend got 4 tickets, one for each window.

wow that sucks. how can he ticket you for each window :uh:

thankfully in pa they are a little more relaxed. in the last 2yrs ive only been pulled over once and it was by a state trooper. i just got a verbal warning that its illegal.