Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

No Crank No start when car is hot

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-19, 04:57 PM
DCMCAggie
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Crank No start when car is hot

Hello,
I have been having a starting issue with my 2011 IS250. The car always starts normally after it has been sitting for a few hours, but if I drive it for as little as 10 minutes more, often than not the car will not start (No Crank either). When I try and start the car, I can hear my fuel pump running to prime the engine, and all visual gauges act normal. It will crank and start without issue if someone jumps my car. I have already changed the starter, alternator, and battery. The new alternator puts out about 13.3V (so did the original alternator). Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-27-19, 09:21 PM
tarm
Rookie

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Sounds like a loose connetion or the starter solenoid. Do you hear the click of the starter solenoid? You may need the windows open. Also listen for the starter spinning like a whirring sound but not cranking. Almost always where there is a no crank situation but fuel pump is on etc its something with the starter system. If for instance it was a voltage issue the cars ecm would be preventing starting and it would not give power to the fuel pump. Check the voltage going to the soleniod and starter when its not starting to see its getting power then check the out going power from the solenoid to starter motor. But if you do not do the mech work on your car its a trip to the mechanic then. You could check for any codes as there might be soft codes that do not produce a cel that have been logged. At the very least you can clear any if there and then see if they reoccur. But usually starter issues do not throw codes on most manf systems I have seen that are not hybrids.