GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Changed bad alternator, now car wont crack

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-19, 01:20 PM
Suntcity
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changed bad alternator, now car wont crack

Hi everyone,

Recently my car failed due to a bad alternator. Bought new battery and installed to get home. started up fine next day. changed the alternator and now car will not crank. checked fusible link - good, starter relay good. starter cut relay good. test with power probe to starter and received slight sound but nothing close to a winding sound you suppose to get from a starter. lights on dash all work. push start switch from amber to green when stepping on brake. What else is there to check before i decide to change the Starter. Please help!!
Old 05-09-19, 02:49 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

When you probed the starter it tried winding up but the solenoid didnt engage? Have you checked if theres starter signal on the starter, by having someone press the ignition button while you checked the voltage?
Old 05-10-19, 07:30 AM
Suntcity
Driver School Candidate

I didnt get a change to get to the starter because of the location. I did probe it with another person pressing start. I also reconnected the relay on the starter cut and ran a little wire out with the power probe on that which shows 12+ volts when button is pushed. I appreciate your response.
Old 05-10-19, 08:06 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

If youre getting a good 12v at the main lug on the starter, with a good ground, and the little wire/trigger switch is getting power when the button is pressed then your starter is bad. If youre are not getting 12v on that little signal wire then you have another issue you need to trace. Also I would check the obvious aswell, like battery terminals making sure there not broken internal.
Old 05-10-19, 11:28 AM
Dean2
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Double check all connections to the alternator to make sure you didn't miss something. Does Battery put out 12.6 volts or more at the terminals. Do you have 12 volts at the starter solenoid and is the solenoid clicking closed when the start button is hit. If yes to both then starter is pooched.
Old 05-10-19, 11:41 AM
adrock265
Rookie

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

try this homie

Ive had this happen on my car while its been down for awhile when im working on it. If you get in the car press the ignition so the cars dash lights come one then push the power button again to turn off the dash lights or "power down" the car then get out and clost the door. Fully open and close the door three times. Then get in the car and start it.
Also if you need to charge the battery take it out of the car and charge it, otherwise it will . get stuck in a loop trying to charge but the cars comp will kick in and stop the battery charging from continuing to charge. Fully charge the battery outside of the car, reinstall and follow the procedure i typed and you should be good.
The following users liked this post:
LexNYC83 (05-18-19)
Old 05-10-19, 11:52 AM
Suntcity
Driver School Candidate

Thank you all for the replies. It has been raining past couple days so i haven't had a chance to get to checking connections on starter. would anyone happen to have a picture of the location as the removal job consist of removing the exhaust manifold. I want to know if i can get to the connections without removing the manifold. Thanks all.
Old 05-10-19, 12:11 PM
Dean2
Driver

Had one other thought. IS the FOB opening and locking the doors. It may just be that the car is not recognizing the FOB. Have you tried starting the car using the Key instead of the start button?
Old 05-10-19, 01:16 PM
Suntcity
Driver School Candidate

fob works with no issues, just the car wont crank.
Old 05-10-19, 02:40 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

When you try to crank it, does the fans kick on at full blast?
Old 05-10-19, 02:46 PM
Dean2
Driver

Originally Posted by Suntcity
fob works with no issues, just the car wont crank.

That is good but I repeat, have you tried starting the car with the Key rather than the start button? Don't want to pull the starter out if that isn't the problem.
Old 05-10-19, 07:40 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Post #7 https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...n-t-start.html

There is a connector that engages the starter. my car had sporadic starting issues after replacing the alternator as well. I giggled the wires, the car started and I got it to the shop so they could secure the wires
Old 05-11-19, 05:07 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RXGS
Post #7 https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...n-t-start.html

There is a connector that engages the starter. my car had sporadic starting issues after replacing the alternator as well. I giggled the wires, the car started and I got it to the shop so they could secure the wires
post #2 I told him to check that wire the starter signal, he said he hadnt. Did you have to creep under the car to reach it on the starter or is it in a loom that goes to the starter?
Old 05-13-19, 10:09 AM
Suntcity
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ibidu1
post #2 I told him to check that wire the starter signal, he said he hadnt. Did you have to creep under the car to reach it on the starter or is it in a loom that goes to the starter?
Still waiting for weather to clear up. Hopefully I can take some pictures.
Old 05-14-19, 07:56 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Just giggle the harness that you see attached to the alternator, it is slightly to the towards the back of the car, and the wire goes up behind the exhaust maniforld. You can do this from looking downwards at it with the hood up. At the very least, it my help confirm its a contact issue.

Quick Reply: Changed bad alternator, now car wont crack