Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

"Brake" light is on!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-02, 01:16 AM
mcnelson
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Brake" light is on!!

Ok, I have agot a cracked rim and for the time being until I can find somewhere to fix it (which is very imposssible so far) I put the stock wheel on the rear. It was fine for a couple days but now the red BRAKE light is on in my dash, and the brake pedal is very squishy. From "park" if I depress the pedal to shift into "drive" if I hold the pedal for a couple seconds in will continue to depress completely. I am almost 100% positive it normally never did that. It also seems like it takes longer to come to a stop when driving. What is wrong, and what do I need to do? Is this is a problem, or will I be ok to continue driving. I am at college so I don't drive it a ton, but I do still use it. Thanks!
Old 08-31-02, 03:09 AM
ShowGSLuVv
Lexus Test Driver

release the parking break

ShOwGS
Old 08-31-02, 03:18 AM
mcnelson
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by ShowGSLuVv
release the parking break

ShOwGS
I checked that and it is released, but that stil wouldn't explain the "squishy" brake pedal...
Old 08-31-02, 03:24 AM
ShowGSLuVv
Lexus Test Driver

then that my friend is somthing that doesn't really sound right at all, I thought that it would probably have been the parking break pressed very lightly and that would trigger the light, but if that's not the case go get it checked out, good luck

ShOwGS
Old 08-31-02, 03:32 AM
mcnelson
Lexus Test Driver

I think it has something to do with the fact that it did have 19x9 wheels with 30 series tires all the way around, and now it has those up front but the rear has got the 16" with like 55 series tires. I am not sure I can only guess that has something to do with it since that is the only change that has been made, and then this started happening.
Old 08-31-02, 10:01 AM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You will need to check you brake fluid and check for leak from the brake line. Most likely you may have one of the rubber hose by the brake caliper leak.
If there is no sign of leak. You may need to check all of the sliding pins. Sometimes those pins are rusted and not move freely. Don't go to the brake shop because they will sale you a complete caliper overhaul and the problem may be just a stuck sliding pin.
Old 08-31-02, 10:33 AM
GS400_PUSHER
Lexus Champion

If you just sit there and hold your brake and it slowly still keeps going down....you have a bad MASTER CYLINDER. Don't know how much it cost for the Lexus but it was pretty exspensive for my Acura. I had that same problem and got it replaced thats how I know. I hope this helps
Old 08-31-02, 12:42 PM
mcnelson
Lexus Test Driver

I hope it isn't the cylinder, but like I said what are the odss that this just started happening now once I switched the wheels??? Could it just be bad luck that it started at the same time I made this change?
Old 08-31-02, 01:16 PM
mcnelson
Lexus Test Driver

***** I just found a leak that looks like it is coming from the break line going to the front left brake. But it is hard to tell I can't see back there very well, and jacking up the front of my car is impossible. What the hell do I do???? I am really getting sick of dealing with all this little problems, why can't I just sell it and get a normal car that is easy to work on?