Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

2003 IS300 Power Steering fluid is yellow!

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-11, 02:38 PM
phillipin
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 IS300 Power Steering fluid is yellow!

I just picked up an IS sportcross with 70k on the odometer. I am going through and changing fluids that were never done at the dealer. The previous owner had every single 5k maintenance done at a dealer but the PS is yellow and the Tranny fluid is brown/red so that needs to get swapped.

My question is why the heck is my PS fluid yellow, it looks like a yellow mineral oil. Is it safe to swap it out with ATF at this point? The steering is fine on the car but I was a little worried someone put off the shelf power steering fluid in the car at some point instead of having it replaced with dex3 ATF.

How should I proceed?
Old 02-26-11, 05:22 PM
snowmaker
Driver

Never seen that.. Use a nice synthetic ATF in the PS and be done with it. I use Amsoil in my tranny and Ps...smells mint and always red..unlike the Toyo t4 junk.
Old 02-26-11, 08:01 PM
phillipin
Driver

So you don't run the Toyota Type 4 in your Tranny? If its not not necessary I can totally swap out my tranny fluid tomorrow, of course I would need to run something close/compatible that I can buy at autozone etc...

I bought this amazing hand pump, 3200 psi and it sucks up about a quart in less than 1 second. It was the same price as the generic hand pump at pep boys.

I swapped in almost a quart of dex3 so far for power steering. Its already looking more red than yellow now.

On a different note I did find that my IS has an LSD rear.
Old 02-27-11, 10:16 AM
snowmaker
Driver

Originally Posted by phillipin
So you don't run the Toyota Type 4 in your Tranny? If its not not necessary I can totally swap out my tranny fluid tomorrow, of course I would need to run something close/compatible that I can buy at autozone etc...

I bought this amazing hand pump, 3200 psi and it sucks up about a quart in less than 1 second. It was the same price as the generic hand pump at pep boys.

I swapped in almost a quart of dex3 so far for power steering. Its already looking more red than yellow now.

On a different note I did find that my IS has an LSD rear.
No on the T4 in my ES's. Overpriced for non-synthetic. You can use anything that is good for T4 fluid spec..I just like Amsoil since it performs well. I am sure redline and some other select others are just as good. I just use what works well for me and my analysis results.

I do not know if anything on autozone, pep boys etc is as good. You would have to read the label.
Old 03-01-11, 04:37 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Take a look and try MaxLife ATF for your tranny if you want to pick something up from the store. It should be relatively inexpensive compared to other products.

It will list Toyota T-IV on the back.
Be sure whatever you do get has T-IV on the label if that's what your car calls for. Many oils now have that spec on their label (as compared to years ago).

The factory fill powersteering fluid could be clear-I would be more worried if it was brown/burnt...

Last edited by raytseng; 03-01-11 at 04:41 PM.
Old 03-05-11, 02:24 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Yellow cause it's Original. Just flush it out with ATF Dexron III a few times and you are good.
Old 03-18-11, 08:41 PM
gemigniani
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Yellow because the factory fill is undyed Dexron auto trans fluid. Nothing to worry about
Old 03-19-11, 07:06 PM
snowmaker
Driver

Originally Posted by gemigniani
Yellow because the factory fill is undyed Dexron auto trans fluid. Nothing to worry about
OKay, but after this many miles/times it was not changed????? Sad, since I do not know what else to say...
Old 04-07-11, 10:53 PM
gemigniani
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by snowmaker
I use Amsoil in my tranny and Ps...smells mint and always red..unlike the Toyo t4 junk.
Mobil actually admits Toyota T4 is better than its own Mobil 1 synthetic ATF.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...smissions.aspx

Mobil says:

"Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF and Mobil Multi-Vehicle ATF are suitable for use in Toyota applications where Toyota T-IV type product is recommended. However, the Toyota/Lexus ATF is specifically designed for those vehicles and will provide optimum performance."
Old 04-08-11, 05:31 PM
snowmaker
Driver

Originally Posted by gemigniani
Mobil actually admits Toyota T4 is better than its own Mobil 1 synthetic ATF.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...smissions.aspx

Mobil says:

"Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF and Mobil Multi-Vehicle ATF are suitable for use in Toyota applications where Toyota T-IV type product is recommended. However, the Toyota/Lexus ATF is specifically designed for those vehicles and will provide optimum performance."
Mobil, ya, they are the ones that HAD a 25K drain and then backed down in the low 80's...

OKay, have you called Mobil CS? They suck and are rude. Sorry T4 is poor and I change it out in my 06. You want pix since it was black after 50K with a lifetime fill (per the dipstick). I put in Amsoil and was cheaper and WAY smoother...Just saying...YMMV