Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Brake pedal clicks when pressed down

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-02, 12:31 PM
Mateo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Brake pedal clicks when pressed down

In my 98GS400 I can hear a single "click" noise when the brake pedal is pressed all the way down. It happens in all gears and is not the noise coming from the shift lock release in the gear box. The noise seems to be coming from somewhere down by the brake pedal itself. Sounds like a switch or something? Very annoying. Just started to notice it recently, and want it to go away.

Has anybody come across this "click"?

Ideas on how to fix?
Old 05-06-02, 04:58 PM
zz231
Pole Position

i haven't noticed any clicking noises when i press my brakes but it's possible that it's the brake light switch which is located under the brake pedal and makes your brake lights come on when you step on the brakes. maybe the switch is just old and wearing out and replacing it might solve your problem. but if the clicking noise is not too loud then i think it's normal. just my opinion but i could be wrong.
Old 05-06-02, 09:07 PM
Mateo
Driver School Candidate

When I get a chance I will take a look under the dash with a flash light and see if I can identify what is making the "click" noise. I think it may indeed be the switch that activates the brake lights.

Would you try putting your Lex in park while the engine is running and slowly depressing the brake pedal until it is all the way down? I hear the click right as it reaches the bottom of the range of travel.

Thanks for your input ZZ.
Old 05-07-02, 05:21 AM
mumbles
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Mateo
Would you try putting your Lex in park while the engine is running and slowly depressing the brake pedal until it is all the way down? I hear the click right as it reaches the bottom of the range of travel.

Thanks for your input ZZ.
You might try it with the car off... if it only make the sound when the car is running, it's probably electrical... maybe the relay for the brake light chattering?
Old 05-08-02, 05:43 AM
futuregs
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I get it too, i drive a 99 gs 400, i think all it is is the switch to activate the brake lights. I dont hear itmuch with my music blasting tho =]
Old 05-08-02, 09:36 AM
Mateo
Driver School Candidate

Default futuregs

Have you had your 99gs400 since it was new? If so, did you notice this click when you first got the car, or is it something that you have noticed more recently? I would think about replacing this switch if a new one would be less noisy. I think it is one of those things that once you notice it is hard to ignore. It is driving me nuts!!
Old 05-13-02, 08:12 PM
BADGS400
Driver

i have the exact same problem....weird
Old 05-16-02, 04:09 PM
Murph
Pole Position

I noticed on my GS400 that I get a "whir and a click" especially in stop and go traffic when I press the brake. Lexus service said that's normal. It 's the vacuum for the ABS doing its' thing when the pressure changes. Seems mighty strange a $50K+ car should make whirs and clicks but I guess that's what it does.

Murph
Old 01-13-12, 02:54 PM
billb14
Driver School Candidate

clicking noise is coming from near gear shift lever....and only when car is on and is in PARK....2000 gs 300...just started after I finished changing front rotors...
Old 01-13-12, 02:57 PM
billb14
Driver School Candidate

additional info ......clicks each time I depress the brake....
Old 01-16-12, 05:04 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Mateo
In my 98GS400 I can hear a single "click" noise when the brake pedal is pressed all the way down. It happens in all gears and is not the noise coming from the shift lock release in the gear box. The noise seems to be coming from somewhere down by the brake pedal itself. Sounds like a switch or something? Very annoying. Just started to notice it recently, and want it to go away.

Has anybody come across this "click"?

Ideas on how to fix?
The clicking you are hearing is the brake light switch. You press the pedal, it closes the circuit and allows electricity to light up your bulbs.

As the switch ages and wears out, it will become louder. If it bothers you much you can replace it, they should not be more than $30-$50 and it should take less than an hour to change it yourself. Its literally a matter of unplugging, unscrewing, plugging in the new one and re-securing it.
Old 01-16-12, 08:12 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by billb14
clicking noise is coming from near gear shift lever....and only when car is on and is in PARK....2000 gs 300...just started after I finished changing front rotors...
and your noise is coming from the shift interlock... perfectly normal, been there the whole time, you just never noticed (or its gotten louder recently)...