Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Timing Belt

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-02, 01:51 AM
slowtan
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing Belt

It is getting near that time where I need to replace my timing belt. I was wondering if there is anything else I need to purchase besides the belt?? ex . gaskets , seals , special tools ??
Old 05-06-02, 08:20 AM
ChrisK
Lead Lap

Yes,

There are many more parts that you could replace at the same time to save the labor cost. Please use the search functionality and you should find a lot of info in it.
Old 05-06-02, 07:16 PM
slowtan
Driver

I understand that when you get into it that it is simple to replace the water pump and other things.

I have a theory if it ain't broke then don't fix it but I believe in preventive maintaince.

I believe flushing my coolant every 30k miles and changing the thermostat/gasket the same time will extend the live of the water pump.

I just want to know what else do I need besides the timing belt. Is there any gaskets , special tools , or anything different I need to look for.
Old 05-08-02, 07:23 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Serpentine belt , two idlers, cam seals, water pump, water filler gasket (an aluminum ring), two gallons of antifreeze (Toyota red).
Caps & Rotors, sparkplug wires, sparkplugs.
Do you a a tool to loosen the pulley bolt?
Do you have the repair manual?

Should take you about 4-6 hours to replace all the above.

Good Luck
Old 05-09-02, 02:48 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Question Are you sure you need to replace it?

Not to be argumentive, but going by the posts on this web page and edmunds.com, I have yet to come across anyone whose belt has worn to the point it broke on its own, but I have come across many posts of original belts lasting over 150,000 miles- and they might have lasted longer, if they were not changed (see the LS forum for details).

They are very solid belts that last far beyond the recommended change interval. One Lexus dealer mechanic has only seen two break in 10 years- that's pretty slim odds. I'm not sure about the six, but on the V8 you can inspect the condition of the belt by removing a few covers.

This probably won't change your mind since you don't seem like the type to take the chance, but I am- I rarely drive outside of the city and the price of a tow, in the VERY unlikely event of a belt failure, is a lot less than a belt replacement. And if you belong to AAA, the tow is free, anyway! Just my two cents...
Old 05-09-02, 02:54 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't let it break. We have interference belts at least on the earlier SC400s. Last thing you want is to start ruining valves. If you do change the belt here are some things to get done also.

1. Thermostat-with gasket
2. Waterpump, needs the O-rings
3. Idler - may not be necessary but what the heck you have the car open anyways
4. Caps, Rotors, plugs, wires - plugs will require a little more work
5. Radiator flush- they have to drain it anyway
Old 05-09-02, 02:56 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Also, lets not repeat these posts. There are at least 2 other posts on this topic. Do a search first then ask.
Old 05-09-02, 03:58 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Like I said, I'm not trying to be argumentive....

....but pre-97 (or so) V8s are non-interference, meaning no damage to the engine if the belt breaks- just disablement. Once the HP of the SC400 went to 290 (in 1997, I believe), they went to variable valve timing. And while I'm not positive about the sixes, I've never seen a post that says the 300's are interference engines, either. Honda/Acura has those sort of engines, and I agree a broken belt on such an engine will bash the valves.

If there was a chance of engine damage, I'd never have recommended slowtan stick with his current belt. I was just asking him why he thinks his belt needs changing. It sounds like he is gonna tackle it himself, so except for his time, it is not that great an expense.

It IS a big expense for my non-interference V8, though- I think the Bev Hills dealer (Jim Faulk Lexus) charges $800. I'll pass, thanks. All I am risking (and it is one slight risk) is the price of a tow job.

To me, it's just like buying a $400 stereo at Circuit City. As the clerk rings you up, he says "How about an extended warranty program for $80?"

If you knew that the chances of the stereo breaking were 1 in 100, would you buy that extended warranty?

If you are the type of person that wants to pay extra for the peace of mind that warranty gives you, you buy it. But I am the type of person that knows statistically, I'll come out ahead if I decline.

Last edited by PERRYinLA; 05-09-02 at 05:13 PM.
Old 05-10-02, 05:48 AM
kreativ
Advanced

Fully agree with PERRYinLA, as far as the non-intereference Lexus V8s are concerned.
Old 05-10-02, 09:21 AM
hyperopt
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have read conflicting posts as to whether or not Lexus engines (specifically the 1st gen V8) are interference-free. Does anyone have a definite and verifiable answer as to whether or not the 1st gen V8 is non-interference and why? This person said this, and that person said that isn't going to cut it.

Last edited by hyperopt; 05-10-02 at 09:21 AM.
Old 05-14-02, 03:56 PM
Murph
Pole Position

I had a 92 LS400 and changed the belt because the dealer told me that it should be done at 90K mile intervals. They admitted that they had never seen one break, but....if it goes, it does major engine damage and would be HUGE $$'s. Since I'm on the road alot and being stranded is not an option, I changed it.

Murph
Old 05-14-02, 08:34 PM
kreativ
Advanced

EDIT: my bad, your '92 LS has an intereference engine. Hmm, guess I won't be going back to that mechanic. I looked it up myself and found this '97 post:

Here are the Toyota's that ARE interference engines:

the new 3.4L V6 in the Tacoma/T100/4Runner (I wonder why, the old engine
is not?)
the 3.0L V6 in the Avalon
the 1.5L in the 80-88 Corolla/Tercel
the 2.0L in the RAV4
the 1.5L in the 88-93 Tercel
the 4.0L V8 in the 90-93 SC400 AND LS400
the 3.0L in the 92-93 SC300

The good news is no MR2 has an interference engine. Also, no Celica or
Supra either. Only the Toyotas listed above are interference.
Interesting how only a few years of the Lexus are interference and the newer ones are not.

Last edited by kreativ; 05-15-02 at 01:21 PM.
Old 05-15-02, 08:46 AM
hyperopt
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How did you come to the conclusion that...
Originally posted by kreativ
it would not damage your '92 LS' engine?

Last edited by hyperopt; 05-15-02 at 08:47 AM.
Old 05-15-02, 12:40 PM
Murph
Pole Position

Yup, dealer told me that if I didn't change the belt and it broke I'd cause catastrophic damage to my engine. It did the trick for me and I paid. Don't remember how much but I do remember it wasn't cheap.

Murph
Old 05-15-02, 12:43 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by hyperopt
How did you come to the conclusion that...
It WILL damage your vehicle. They are interference.

Quick Reply: Timing Belt