Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

All fluids flushed & changed?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-02, 08:00 PM
jahummer
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default All fluids flushed & changed?

Thought I would start this thread since I just had the dealer flush all fluids and refill on my LS: brake, differential, transmission, steering, cooling, oil. Any reason from you seasoned experts out there why these should or should not be done (or unnecessary) at 60K miles??
Old 01-04-02, 10:48 PM
D.K.
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much did the dealership charge for this service?
Old 01-05-02, 05:44 AM
jahummer
Pole Position

It's part of the 30K & 60K pricing 515 & 1100 respectively.
Old 01-05-02, 07:30 PM
Erfan
Lexus Test Driver

You paid $1100.00 to do fluid flushes:eek:
Old 01-06-02, 06:54 AM
jahummer
Pole Position

No that was part of the 60K service. Dearler highly recommended that I have all fluids flushed and changed. I know in the past brake fluid could break down from heat or get contaminated over time, same for transmission fluid. Just looking for feedback from others as to their ideas or opinions.

Last edited by jahummer; 01-06-02 at 11:58 AM.
Old 01-06-02, 09:01 AM
Erfan
Lexus Test Driver

Oh Okay, Well, the fluid changes is a smart thing todo. It will help your new Lexus perform like a champ and last a long long time for you. Please tell me everything they did under the 60K service, and which lex dealer did you take it to and how long did it take?

Thanks

Erfan
Old 01-06-02, 09:14 AM
jahummer
Pole Position

Well, dropped the car off at 8:30 am last Thursday, had a new RX waiting for me. Besides the 60K service ( I drive 20K per year) I had a list of warranty issues such a power antenna going up half way, passenger side mirror vibrating, rattle in ceiling, hood struts worn out, etc. Service rep called me five hours latter to tell me the vehicle was done but would need new front brake pads. Fine. But less than five hours to do all of the other work such as the fluids, new belts, plugs, valve adjust, filters, etc? Doesn't sound right to me. Anyhow, rep called me back on Friday to inform me that the tech had scratched my tint while changing the mirror. Promissed to me by this coming Monday. Very pleased with their replacing all defective parts, don't mind that they haven't finished, but am very concerned about the amount of time it took them to perform the 60K service! We'll see tomorrow, I hope.

Oh and this was Lexus of Clearwater. Vey large dealership and service department, at least a few acres compared to other dealerships I've been to in California, Texas, Nevada, etc.

Last edited by jahummer; 01-06-02 at 09:16 AM.
Old 01-06-02, 09:21 AM
Erfan
Lexus Test Driver

Which dealerships have you been to in the dallas area?
Old 01-06-02, 09:22 AM
wwest
Lead Lap

Default fluid changes

At 60k why didn't you just drop a $1100 check off at your dealer's and drive away with a certain confidence that you had avoided have your Lexus be worked on by a bunch of gofers.

You needed your fourth oil and filter change, everything else went directly into the dealer's kids college fund. Do you have kids?
Old 01-06-02, 09:45 AM
Erfan
Lexus Test Driver

Wwest,

Please explain your side of Fluid changes to this gentleman
Old 01-06-02, 11:56 AM
jahummer
Pole Position

Ever since I started driving premium cars, Infiniti Q45 in '94 and now the LS, I have never had the confidence to take them apart and service them myself. In the "old" days it was a different story but with the wonderful warranties these companies offer now, I think it is a small price to pay to have your car kept up to spec (I hope anyhow).

My only question was what did other Lexus owners have experience with especially the DIYs out there.

I think the answer lies in how you drive and for how long at a time and your climate. It is certainly not going to damage the tranny to change it's fluid, nor any of the others.
Old 01-06-02, 12:08 PM
jahummer
Pole Position

The dealer in Dallas I believe was near Harry Hines. It was a few years back.
Old 01-06-02, 02:24 PM
wwest
Lead Lap

Default no harm

Anytime you take "something apart" for a needless/useless reason you are taking the chance, increasing the odds, of someone making a needless mistake.

Everyone will be glad to inform you that the ONLY reason to change your engine oil and filter is NOT BECAUSE THE OIL WEARS OUT, IT DOES NOT, but because it does become contaminated with the by-products of combustion and dirt particles that get through the engine's air filtering systems.

So, if OIL doesn't wear out, why would anyone change it out other than for some other reason?

The clutch plates in your automatic transmission will wear over time resulting in clutch surface particles being deposited in the sump. But that is exactly what the sump is there for.

Anti-freeze: buy a tester at any automotive shop and don't change it out until about 5 years have elapsed. With 75K miles my 92 LS is stilling running with original batch of factory ant-freeze, it still good to -20F and its clarity and "color" indicate it isn't contaminated. It has not been back to Lexus since the very first scheduled oil change when their gofer installed the Mobil 1 I supplied without first draining the sump. The next morning when I checked I discovered I had almost 12 quarts of oil in a 5 quart engine.

I just can't imagine any worse thing to do than to have some complete stranger, however qualified, changing out my brake fluid. The probability that he will somehow screw up and get me killed is so astronomically higher than the probability of brake failure due to poor brake fluid condition that to me this, changing out brake fluid as preventative maintenance, should be a criminal act.

Can someone please step in here and give me a good logical reason for changing out the rear diff'l fluid?

My 92 will probably go in for a new timing belt at 90K, just as originally recommended, but it will probably get done by my independent Porsche mechanic who I have known, and trusted, for over 20 years.

Last edited by wwest; 01-06-02 at 02:32 PM.
Old 01-06-02, 05:15 PM
jahummer
Pole Position

Thanks for your repsonse. I do agree with you somewhat but I must say that you are wrong regarding coolant. Actually, the tap water used with the antifreeze does get 'gunky' and can cause sediment and mineral buildup that can only be removed by flushing it out and if you have the transmission adjusted, the fluid must be removed anyway. And if the tech screws anything up, the car is under warranty. Now as far as a car out of warranty goes, I would rarely take it to the dealer.

Last edited by jahummer; 01-07-02 at 05:05 AM.
Old 01-06-02, 09:01 PM
Erfan
Lexus Test Driver

I hope that everything works out for you. thanks for the tip Wwest We always appreciate your feedback.

Quick Reply: All fluids flushed & changed?