Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

1990 LS 400 water pump/timing belt/ tune up

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-06, 10:56 PM
LSPiNoY
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1990 LS 400 water pump/timing belt/ tune up

hello everyone. i own a 1990 Lexus LS 400 with air suspension and trac control. it has around 245,000+ miles on it. and still runs strong. i would just like to get this stuff taken care of to prevent future mishaps. could someone give me a list of all the parts needed to do all of this? and if it all possible could you give me a price list?

or where to get the oem parts for the best price.

i dont mind getting all oem parts, but are there parts on the list i could get that may be less expensive than the oem parts that is just as reliable or even better?

i would greatly appreciate it. thank you in advance.

blessings

alex

by the way what is the difference between a major and minor tune up? thanks

1990 LS 400 water pump/timing belt/major tune up
Old 01-16-06, 10:47 AM
B.Diddy
Lexotic Concepts

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Contact Carson Toyota for good priced on OEM products. I just bought a starter from them for my LS
Old 01-17-06, 11:24 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Do as you wish, but....

Originally Posted by LSPiNoY
it....still runs strong. i would just like to get this stuff taken care of to prevent future mishaps.
If it is still running strong, what's to take care of? At the point you are at, you run as much of a risk of a "mishap" by doing that work as you do by just continuing to drive it.

I'm not saying don't tune it up, but spending 25% of the car's value on a timing belt / WP change at this point doesn't make much sense. You can easily inspect the condition of the belt by removing a few covers- you might be pleasantly surprised.

Even if it breaks (which is very rare- search this forum and see), the engine is not damaged- all you are out is the cost of a tow. You know how many tows you can buy for the cost of one TB/WP change?
Old 01-18-06, 08:54 AM
LSPiNoY
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PERRYinLA
If it is still running strong, what's to take care of? At the point you are at, you run as much of a risk of a "mishap" by doing that work as you do by just continuing to drive it.

I'm not saying don't tune it up, but spending 25% of the car's value on a timing belt / WP change at this point doesn't make much sense. You can easily inspect the condition of the belt by removing a few covers- you might be pleasantly surprised.

Even if it breaks (which is very rare- search this forum and see), the engine is not damaged- all you are out is the cost of a tow. You know how many tows you can buy for the cost of one TB/WP change?

well to be honest with you i have no idea when the last time the timing belt or water pump were changed. can you honestly say that you can physically look at a belt and say "oh you have 2000 more miles on it"? i don't know thats why i am asking. and i am not trying to sound argumentative at all lol. i travel to school and back home quite a few times during the semester which is a ~2 hour drive. and i dont know how much the tow would be and how long it would take for the tow truck to get there.

what i really really really am concerned with is what happens when the timing belt does in fact snap/break and you're driving 75 mph. do you lose control of the car? like power steering? brake power? if someone could share their experiences of when their timing belt broke maybe i'll feel more at ease.

i understand that the car value is low and i understand the fact that when you replace parts you increase a risk of something happening. however, i also know these car parts are built to last a long long time.

i'll get the timing belt looked at hopefully sometime soon. anyone have examples of when to change a belt? pics? links?

thanks
Old 01-18-06, 07:24 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default No offense taken. Just trying to save a student some money...

There are plenty of examples/links/pics if you want to search.
Plus, the Lextreme.com and LexLs.com sites have step-by-step instructions.

No, I can't predict when your belt will break by looking at it.
And it is not always the belt's fault- the water pump sometimes seizes up and that's what rips the belt apart.

Even with a new belt, there are factors that can make your engine stop running at any time. For example, your fuel pump or your fuel pump controller can fail, leaving you stranded. Same with your car's computer. Admittedly, these are rare (as is a belt snap), but notice that no one recommends that those components be replaced after a certain mileage to make the car more reliable.

As for your other questions I have no direct experience, but maybe someone who has will post.
Old 01-25-06, 09:29 PM
JPI Racing
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FYI,
These water pump are on B.O for 5 months. Lexus will be using the remanufacter unit.
JPI