Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Hiccup when accel in SC400

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-05, 10:13 AM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Hiccup when accel in SC400

every now and then when I accelerate in my SC400 it gets up to like 1,500-2,000RPMs then goes down to like 500RPMs then shoots back up when i accelerate lightly... It feels like a little hiccup in the power but it does not ever feel like its gonna die.. any ideas on what it might be? thanks!
Old 07-16-05, 07:35 PM
koolaidman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TRD_Power
every now and then when I accelerate in my SC400 it gets up to like 1,500-2,000RPMs then goes down to like 500RPMs then shoots back up when i accelerate lightly... It feels like a little hiccup in the power but it does not ever feel like its gonna die.. any ideas on what it might be? thanks!
i need data. otherwise right now it sounds like a maff or a hole in ur tps
Old 07-17-05, 08:20 AM
cal9126
Pole Position

i have the same problem mang.....

i dont think anyone will evver find out the problem....

when accelerating sometimes from a stop the car will hesitate and buck badly, it wont do it tho when you really get on the pedal,only when you give it small amount of gas from a stop it will do it.....i also have the 40mph hour shudder..... it has been happening alot more lately, ive noticed that it does it more pronounced after driving the car hard and then starting from a stop it will make the car hesitation and buck pretty badly.....this is the only problem that my car has and i want to get rid of it....

someone said that its the EGR, i think it has something to do with the transmission.......
Old 07-17-05, 10:16 AM
koolaidman
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by cal9126
i have the same problem mang.....

i dont think anyone will evver find out the problem....

when accelerating sometimes from a stop the car will hesitate and buck badly, it wont do it tho when you really get on the pedal,only when you give it small amount of gas from a stop it will do it.....i also have the 40mph hour shudder..... it has been happening alot more lately, ive noticed that it does it more pronounced after driving the car hard and then starting from a stop it will make the car hesitation and buck pretty badly.....this is the only problem that my car has and i want to get rid of it....

someone said that its the EGR, i think it has something to do with the transmission.......
need to know when ur driving. is it at the same poing on the accelerator. if your tps is going bad (they are known to do that) its going to feel like what u guys are describing
Old 07-17-05, 08:26 PM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by koolaidman
need to know when ur driving. is it at the same poing on the accelerator. if your tps is going bad (they are known to do that) its going to feel like what u guys are describing
how much would it cost to replace the tps?
Old 07-17-05, 08:43 PM
FCguy
Driver School Candidate

try a tune up. plugs, wires, rotor cap, oil change, tranny flush and filter, fuel filter, and air filter. I used to work at a shop as a GS and this solved 60% of minor hesitations. Matter of fact my very first car would heasitate from a stop in small sputter fashion. It had the orginal plugs with 130k miles (bought it from my brother.... almost shot him when I found out he never put new plugs in) the gap was so huge on the plugs it couldnt spark. Did a tuneup and it ran like new. Try that (cuz it probably needs it anyway... even if your early) first because it doesnt cost a hell of alot and it could fix it.
Old 07-18-05, 07:40 PM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by FCguy
try a tune up. plugs, wires, rotor cap, oil change, tranny flush and filter, fuel filter, and air filter. I used to work at a shop as a GS and this solved 60% of minor hesitations. Matter of fact my very first car would heasitate from a stop in small sputter fashion. It had the orginal plugs with 130k miles (bought it from my brother.... almost shot him when I found out he never put new plugs in) the gap was so huge on the plugs it couldnt spark. Did a tuneup and it ran like new. Try that (cuz it probably needs it anyway... even if your early) first because it doesnt cost a hell of alot and it could fix it.
my car JUST had the massive 90k service done and had everythign flushed, new fluids, etc. so I dont think that would help.
Old 07-18-05, 09:36 PM
koolaidman
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TRD_Power
how much would it cost to replace the tps?
i dunno but there is a special procedure on changing the tps. i think the tps goes for arround 150 oem