Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Fuel Line Woes

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-05, 06:54 PM
Spitfire86
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Line Woes

So.. I do most the work on my car myself and decided yesterday to replace the fuel filter! Oh, how easy i thought, two nuts filter in/filter out.

I stripped the nut connecting the fuel line from the tank to the filter! Ok then i got the nut off and tried putting it back on, apparently when i stripped it, it broke the seal too...I started my car up and gas began leaking everywhere.

So, I'm thinking I basically need to replace the fuel line from my gas tank to the fuel filter. Does someone have a part number or a more economical way to solve this problem? Can I replace the whole pipe with a standard copper 3/8'' one made for plumbing from any hardware store?

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 06-30-05, 06:58 PM
inovashn
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

dude that sucks big time. sounds like some of my luck. good luck with it and i hope someone replies with some help.
Old 06-30-05, 07:56 PM
abdul10000
Driver

Originally Posted by Spitfire86
So, I'm thinking I basically need to replace the fuel line from my gas tank to the fuel filter. Does someone have a part number or a more economical way to solve this problem? Can I replace the whole pipe with a standard copper 3/8'' one made for plumbing from any hardware store?

This is a guess but hopefully a logical one. Hardware store lines will not work because you will not be able to seal them to the emissions standard. When your car is tested for fuel pressure it will fail.

Therefore, the best solution is to buy that piece form a junk yard. I know you can find those lines in a good conditions because of your location. If no junk yard offers them. just drive to one of them and show them the piece and offer taking it out of their salveged car your self. Some will like that arrangement.
Old 07-01-05, 04:17 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,255 Likes on 997 Posts

Yeah, I was talking to one the the shop formans at my Lexus dealer the other day. I told him I was about to change my fuel filter. His strong advise was " don't do it " you'll strip the lines taking out the old one. said it happens everytime they do one. I said comon you got to repalace the fuel filter sometimes he said " we stopped doing them Lexus does not even require it.
Anyway I did not do it. He been right about everyuthing else. He did metion that there is a Stripped line fuel filter fix Kit. You should call a Lex dealership that know whats going on and get one to fix it. Hope this helps
Old 07-01-05, 04:30 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Ahhhhh man, that sucks. The fuel filter was the ONE thing I wish I had brought my car to a mechanic to (even after doing my clutch/rear main seal/million other things). Advice to anyone looking to do it: DONT PLEASE. Check out my thread

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122080
Old 07-01-05, 11:49 PM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

I too can attest to this as I took my car to my mechanic last week I needed to flush my tranny and wanted to replace the fuel filter. Mechanic said Lexus from the factory tightened the nut too much and when he loosened one of the bolts, the other one nut would not come off. If he forced it, it would of either stripped it or broken it. He then told me the only way to replace it would be to get a new fuel line and that would not be cheap. Replacing the fuel filter will increase gas mileage, but it isn't significant, its more of for responsiveness when accelerating.
Old 07-05-05, 07:15 PM
Spitfire86
Pole Position

well, I fixed it today! After three days of fooling with different options one of them finally worked!

I used a 3/8inch rubber fuel line from OSH ($1.44 a foot!) and a hose clamp with a barbed 3/8inch to 1/4inch compression joint and walla! Everything actually worked together and no leaks. (This was about my third-fourth setup while I was meddling with this)

but yeah, turns out I didn't even use my new fuel filter b/c in the process of experiment with different setups I stripped the threads in the output side so i reused my old filter. The hell with it I say, the old one didn't look too bad anyhow (it still had the toyota number on it!)

well that ordeal is finally over with and i can drive my car again. If i had to do it over again....I'd say I wish I had patience....also remember $.99 teflon tape can go along way in keeping leaks at bay from trying to overtighten!
Old 07-05-05, 08:08 PM
Jeff@Longo
Driver School Candidate

Your solution saved you a nice lump of cash! Just in case anyone looks for the OEM part, it's

LEX 90923-01388 Hose, Fuel Delivery Pipe - $122.24