Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Oh Man, Lexus Delivered Me A Dud

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-04, 06:43 AM
XYZLexus1
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

In Texas, I have no idea about other states on new car purchases you have 3 days to give the vehicle back and they must refund your money after that you have to negotiate with the dealer.

As far as Toyatal quality is it really that good? My buddies 2000 4 runner has had the ignition switch replaced, passenger side door window actuator, front brake rotors and the car has less than 40K miles.

On my Lexus GS300 the headlight assemblies has been replaced, the accesory belt squeked and was replaced and has numerous noises (sunroof shade etc) and has less than 25K miles. For icing on the cake the volume control on the radio is very hard to turn.

My wifes 2002 GMC Envoy which not only turns the windshield wipers on automatically but vary th speeds according to the amount of rain. They work perfectly along with a ton of other gadgets which work perfectly and the SUV has never seen the dealer in 30K miles and does not have the first squeak or rattle and for icing on the cake the BOSE radio is superior to the Lexus radio. I was skeptical when I purchased the Envoy so I got the 7 year / 100K warranty for a whole $1300 a far cry from the $2200 for the same coverage on the Lexus.

I have told my wife numerous times I will trade her anytime, her reply was she liked the acceleration of the 4400 lb Envoy which requires 87 octane more than the 3800 lb Lexus which calls for premium.

The majority of people feel Japanese cars are better than American. Do you realize Ford sold 850,000 F150 last year alone!!!! It took Mazda 10 YEARS to sell 500,000 Miatas. In the same time it took Mazda to sell 500,000 miatas Ford sold over 8 MILLION F150, is it any wonder you hear more problems about Fords than Miatas, look at the sells number. I have owned many cars and the only one the dealer was required to replace the engine under warranty was my Miata because of a bad thrust bearing (this has plagued many 99 Miatas do not purchase that year)!!!!

OK I am done complaining sorry for the rant.
Old 05-18-04, 04:53 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Granted these issues are annoying. In a perfect scenario, the car would be trouble free yet this isn't that scenario. Lexus should be willing to work this issue out and possibly compensate in some way for your time: detail, oil changes, blah-blah.

Toyota IMO has a good track record for producing a quality car and I think once these break-in gremlins are cured, you'll be down the road for many-many miles. Chin up.
Old 05-18-04, 09:39 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by XYZLexus1

My wifes 2002 GMC Envoy which not only turns the windshield wipers on automatically but vary th speeds according to the amount of rain. They work perfectly along with a ton of other gadgets which work perfectly and the SUV has never seen the dealer in 30K miles and does not have the first squeak or rattle and for icing on the cake the BOSE radio is superior to the Lexus radio. I was skeptical when I purchased the Envoy so I got the 7 year / 100K warranty for a whole $1300 a far cry from the $2200 for the same coverage on the Lexus.
Are you aware that the GMC Envoy has had a whopping 6 recalls? You should see your dealer soon to get your wife's SUV fixed.

Personal experience may vary. I'd go by the Consumer Reports survey, which rates vehicle reliability based on the *percentage* of owners reporting problems, not by *number* of owners.

Based on your post, you have perhaps the most reliable Envoy on the road. The Envoy is rated among the least reliable SUVs according to CR. (pg 78, April 2004 issue)
Old 05-20-04, 06:21 AM
XYZLexus1
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I subscribe to Alldata.com and the only recall I know of is the Shift interlock mechanism. They feel it is to easy to pop the shift benzel up and manually overide the lock mechanism. With Lexus you do not have to even pop of the shift benzel you just pop up the a little plastic plug and push the button.

A buddy at works has an Envoy with 30K miles not a problem, neighbor has Trailblazer 25K no problems, and my Father has an Envoy no problems. I am seriously considering getting a refund for my extended warranty the truck is bullit proof.

All of the Envoy and Trailblazers I have been in are rattle, and snap, crackle pop free. I have been in 5 GS300, 2 ES 300 and 1 LS 430 and they cannot even come close to being rattle free or should I say snap, crack, pop free. The Envoy transmission also downshifts much better than the GS's.

The Lexus are good cars, I would not say great, for what I paid for mine a 2001 with 21K miles I am happy, I could not digest paying 40K plus for a new one with the minor issues it has with noises, realative poor gas mileage. The noises I speak of are the sunshade backing out and clicking in your ear, the AC vents snap crackle and popping as the temperature in the car equalizes, the delayed downshifts, be it very very minor but unacceptable in a 40K car, acceptable in a 27K car.
Old 05-20-04, 04:19 PM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

XYZ, I understand your concerns, though I add that I have had this '03 for 12k with no issues requiring return to dealer, pretty good for any car imo, notwithstanding some body/wind issues I agree shouldn't be present with today's technologies, imo.