Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Oh Man, Lexus Delivered Me A Dud

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-04, 04:42 PM
Maurice1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

....My RX300 had alignment problem right from the start...
Interesting... So did mine. I wore through the front tires in under 20K miles. The dealership said it was normal wear and tear or that I hit something initially but threw in a free alignment and some small % off a new set of tires. I pointed out the perfect rims without scratches and perfect sidewalls on the tires that wouldn' t be so perfect if I had hit something hard enough to knock it out of alignment. I got mine in early 99 so I don't know if it was a problem with early models or not.
Old 05-11-04, 04:50 PM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maurice, we had a March 99 and no alignment problems, all tires were about perfect at 50k when traded, with 10-20k left to go.
Old 05-12-04, 10:01 AM
Maurice1
Driver School Candidate

After the alignment, I have put on almost 35K miles and the tires look brand new still. That and a sqeaky drivers side window are the only problems I have had. I have had the drivers side window looked at 6 times. It still sqeaks but I have come to love it as I have given up on trying to have it fixed.
Old 05-12-04, 04:07 PM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maurice, swap you 2 weeks in Jersey so I can check out the terrain in Hawaii, maybe you need to try mainland roads for a few weeks just to make sure everything is OK!
Old 05-12-04, 10:00 PM
flossn
Lead Lap

You have to realize, new cars do sit on the lot a bit before they are eventually sold. It's very possible they were giving a test drive and someone's stupid kid probably hit a interior light button. Enough to drain the batt. I've seen them start a few times after this, but if you don't drive it for a while, the battery can't fully recharge and this happens. Demanding a brand new one seems a bit extreme, but If you don't know how cars work I guess that's what will make you happy.

On a side note, Lexus dealers are by far the best with service and accomodations. If they can't accomodate you, I don't know who can.....
Old 05-12-04, 11:53 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

I'd feel the same.
Give them a chance to fix it, like pooters, any components that are going to die will do so early on. Granted this is not acceptable yet it does occur. Anyway, once you get it back, enjoy.
Old 05-13-04, 05:33 AM
factrans
Driver School Candidate

Default UPDATE

UPDATE:

So, last night I tried to open the rear lift gate, and sure enough, it wouldn't open. So I went into the car, started it up, and then tried the keyfob, and it opened. I dunno, I've never owned a Lexus before, I've always driven BMW, or American (Ford) cars. Of all the vehicles I've owned, I've never had this many problems with a new car. Maybe it's just bad luck, or I was due, but it seems like something's amiss here. Thanks for all the advice so far.

I just spoke to the dealer as I was writing this, they told me to bring it in. I'm going to bring it in, this will be the 2nd time, meanwhile I JSUT got the car.

This is DEFINITELY the LAST lexus I'll buy.
Old 05-13-04, 06:46 AM
XYZLexus1
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You guys must be on crack. It stalls, so give him a new car? You live in a fantasy land if you think a manufacturer will give you a new car or extended warranty because the car would not start ONCE. I have a GS300 and nobody is as big a ***** as I am when it comes to my car not meeting MY expectations, I could care less about Lexus expectations. As far as Lexus service departments they are not better and probably worse than most dealerships because they are legends in their own mind. I will give some examples:

1) Overfilled my transmission by 10 oz when they replaced it.
2) Took in for squeking accesory belt and they put belt dressing on a 43K car, what a used car trick, well 3 weeks later than got to replace the belt and wash my car again.
3) Replaced headlight assembly due to condesation, but forgot to put the fender skirt bolts back in.
4) Scracthed my center console trim, they got to replace that also.

Cars have problems, once you get one that runs well keep it forever!!!
Old 05-13-04, 12:06 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default car issues...

Gentleman, if I may interject: As a paying customer and driver of a brand new 2004 model car he has EVERY RIGHT to demand a new car. Perhaps not now, but he did when the problems started, and he should have demanded a new car as evidenced by the continuing problems he's having to date. Some may side with the dealer and say that's not practical, that car's have issues, and to bear with them. Keep in mind that you didn't go to "Joe's used car lot", you went to a Lexus dealer. If you wanted to deal with potential problems you wouldn't have gone to an established luxury car dealership and spent that amount of money. I find this totally unacceptable...they had no problems with your check so you shouldn't have any problems with their car. Again, this IS NOT a used car we're discussing here folks...it's a brand new 2004 model!!!...I wouldn't stand for even the smallest problem here. Money talks, and you walked in with hard earned money and deserve a car that's right from the start, not somebody's lemon. I'd demand a new car or I'd demand the deal nullified, I'd guess they give you a new car. Who the hell wants to go back and forth to a dealer for repairs on a BRAND NEW CAR?!????! I work hard for my money and when I spend it I expect to get what I pay for, that's only fair.

Last edited by mikeloc24; 05-13-04 at 12:14 PM.
Old 05-13-04, 12:35 PM
XYZLexus1
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I do not think this guy has a Lemon. They fixed the stalling problem, and now it may or may not have a taligate problem. I may not remember the number exactly but in initial quality survey from JD Power I beleive Lexus had 59 complaints per 100 vehicles during the first 100 days of ownership, Hummer had 179. So some of your guys feel Lexus should exchange 59 out of every 100 cars if they have a problem in the fisrt 100 days. If that is the case the price of your car is going to triple.
Old 05-14-04, 08:37 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by Stryke
When I said service I should have been more specific. I didn't mean service as in repairs, but rather service as in customer service.
I see. I consider both linked. If the service tech can't get my car right, I won't be happy even if the customer service lady gives me a Swedish massage.
Old 05-16-04, 02:57 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: UPDATE

Originally posted by factrans
UPDATE:

So, last night I tried to open the rear lift gate, and sure enough, it wouldn't open. So I went into the car, started it up, and then tried the keyfob, and it opened. I dunno, I've never owned a Lexus before, I've always driven BMW, or American (Ford) cars. Of all the vehicles I've owned, I've never had this many problems with a new car. Maybe it's just bad luck, or I was due, but it seems like something's amiss here. Thanks for all the advice so far.

I just spoke to the dealer as I was writing this, they told me to bring it in. I'm going to bring it in, this will be the 2nd time, meanwhile I JSUT got the car.

This is DEFINITELY the LAST lexus I'll buy.
All the doors have to be in unlock positon to open lift gate. If you hit the unlock once, it will unlock only driver door. You have to hit the unlock twice to unlock all doors and then you can open lift gate with your remote or the push bottom at the gate. It's in the owner's manual.
Old 05-16-04, 11:22 PM
LexFather

In every car forum I read, people are having alignment problems. Why? B/C noobs driving 14 and 15" tires all their life are now dealing with lower profile 17 and 18" inch (and larger) factory wheels. WHich makes them more prone to get out of alignement. And the tires will wear quicker. Just something to keep in mind.
Old 05-17-04, 02:25 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by XYZLexus1
So some of your guys feel Lexus should exchange 59 out of every 100 cars if they have a problem in the fisrt 100 days. If that is the case the price of your car is going to triple.
If I go into a luxury car dealership and plunk down my hard earned cash for one of their overpriced vehicles I expect it to perform like a brand new car and NOT give me major problems on the first day I take it home (I would consider not being able to drive the brand new car a major problem, others may not). I'd demand it be replaced, if they won't replace the vehicle then I'd demand the deal be cancelled immediately and I'd take my business elsewhere. I don't concern myself with those numbers that you've posted because I don't view myself as one customer out of 1000, that's the dealer's mentality, not the consumer's. If demanding a replacement vehicle seems a bit much then they should at least cover the car for any and all maintenance needs for an extended period of time along with providing a loaner for free. For that amount of money you deserve better, period.

Last edited by mikeloc24; 05-17-04 at 02:27 PM.
Old 05-17-04, 10:33 PM
damon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Lemon?

My first thought woiuld be that there is some kind of ground problem given the symptons. As for the car being an overall lemon, I have my doubts. Hard to beleive there was any "collusion" between the engine assembly folks and the people working an assembly line at Denso or whomever else OEMs the various list of accessories that hang from a Toyota engine conspired to make one substandard vehicle. This was not insuated in previous text, just trying to make a point, that from a manufacturing perspective it would be impossible.

Are you entitlled to new? Different argument , but If I were in the market for an RX and new the history of your vehicle I would negotiate like a demon to get that same vehicle at a reduced cost & fix the problem and never give it a second thought. I think Toyota quality control is that good.

Good luck & yes you are entilted to some financial relief for your hassle.

damon

Last edited by damon; 05-17-04 at 10:55 PM.

Quick Reply: Oh Man, Lexus Delivered Me A Dud