LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

Tilting Mirrors don't untilt

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-05, 03:07 PM
DD558
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tilting Mirrors don't untilt

On my '99 LX470, the tilting mirrors don't return to the "normal" position after moving the gear selector out of reverse. They tilt back up (most of the time) but they do not return to the normal driving position. The dealer replaced the mirrors and I believe the controller which cured the problem for a day before it returned. They seem to be stumped. Anyone out there experience this problem?

Alan Williams
San Diego, CA
Old 12-28-05, 03:47 PM
wETcOASTER
Driver School Candidate

Default just

leave the switch in the middle and the mirrors wont tilt every time you
put it in reverse. It wont fix the mirrors but it will stop the mirrors from tilting
so you dont have to adjust them anymore. I dont find the feature all that useful
anyways. If you really like the feature and you dealer cant fix it than try
ih8mud.com and ask or search over on that board. This board is relatively useless
regarding tech question because no one really knows anything expect for bling related
topics. Sorry but its so true.
Old 12-28-05, 03:57 PM
DD558
Driver School Candidate

Thanks. I already figured out the "leave the switch in neutral" bit but when the Lexus dealer offered to fix the problem for free i thought I had it made in the shade. The tilt down feature can be helpful when parallel parking or when backout out of a parking space next to a vehicle wider on the bottom, ie, with running boards, than on top. Besides, it is always nice to have everything that is supposed to work working. i learned of this site a few days ago when I got an "Error 3" on my Namaguchi in-dash CD changer. Although "doomed" came to mind when reading the posts on that problem, it did lead me to a place in San Diego that repairs the problem and has parts in stock. Thanks for the quick reply.
Old 12-28-05, 04:05 PM
Doc C
Lead Lap

I had the same problem on my 2000 LX and they replaced the mirror. That seemed to fix it. Could it be related to the memory seat position switch?? Does the mirror go back into position if you push the memory position 1 or 2?? It sounds like the mirror forgets where it's supposed to go back to, not that it has a mechanical problem keeping it from moving there. It just seems wierd the two mirrors would go bad at the exact same time, and then 2 more mirrors at the exact same time. I know nothing about this other than how to ask stupid questions. Hope you find a solution. Please post it if you do. Take care.
Old 12-28-05, 04:37 PM
DD558
Driver School Candidate

Interesting suggestion. i tend to change the seat and mirror positions when I am on a road trip but don't reset the seat memory. i always thought the mirrors returned to the last position set. I will try that when I get home. [The LX usually stays in front of the house during the week as it gets 11-12 MPG in the city while my other vehicle gets 22]. By the way, I bought the LX in July so I don't have too much experience with the bells and whistles.
Old 01-03-06, 11:12 PM
ToyLexmods
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by wETcOASTER
leave the switch in the middle and the mirrors wont tilt every time you
put it in reverse. It wont fix the mirrors but it will stop the mirrors from tilting
so you dont have to adjust them anymore. I dont find the feature all that useful
anyways. If you really like the feature and you dealer cant fix it than try
ih8mud.com and ask or search over on that board. This board is relatively useless
regarding tech question because no one really knows anything expect for bling related
topics. Sorry but its so true.
Doh! +1

Nice plug for ih8mud. Good info over there.
Old 01-03-06, 11:17 PM
ToyLexmods
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ToyLexmods
Doh! +1

Nice plug for ih8mud. Good info over there.
Ok, I will add some technical comment to this thread.

Our 99LX does the exact same thing. It was Lexus Certified and I would not take it to my local dealer. What does that tell you about Lexus service?? Heck, I wont even take it in for the recall on the running lights.

The ps side mirror does not return all the way up every time. Big deal. Not worth my time or headache dealing with the service mistakes over at the local Lexus shop. Leave it in the middle and forget about it. Cheers!