LS - 5th Gen (2018-present) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS500 and LS460 F.

Sport S Mode Really Makes A Difference!

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-18, 06:24 AM
Ravill
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Sport S Mode Really Makes A Difference!

I was apprehensive about driving around in the sport modes as I didn’t want the engine to stay in higher gear/revs all the time, but I tried Sport S mode (not S+) and it made a world of difference!

The car pulled hard from a start, the throttle response was nice and peppy and over all, the car felt more alive!

This is is where my car is going to live at from now on. The only thing is that every time I start the car I have to move the sport switch to on every time. I will see if I can have it stay on all the time or make it a custom setting.

I recommend you try it too!
Old 11-27-18, 07:04 AM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Ravill

I was apprehensive about driving around in the sport modes as I didn’t want the engine to stay in higher gear/revs all the time, but I tried Sport S mode (not S+) and it made a world of difference!

The car pulled hard from a start, the throttle response was nice and peppy and over all, the car felt more alive!

This is is where my car is going to live at from now on. The only thing is that every time I start the car I have to move the sport switch to on every time. I will see if I can have it stay on all the time or make it a custom setting.

I recommend you try it too!
Sadly it wont stay in that position, Its just like the GS really wish it was. I'm always in Sport + mode and love it.
Old 11-27-18, 07:39 AM
john341
Pole Position

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by bigblack06
Sadly it wont stay in that position, Its just like the GS really wish it was. I'm always in Sport + mode and love it.
Its a mandated rule by the Government. Also just Curious, what exactly does Sport + mode do compared to Sport? Is int it only adding in Enhanced engine sound, or is there other differences?
Old 11-27-18, 11:50 AM
Ravill
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks like I will have to make it a "custom" mode. I believe I read in the owner's manual that the car will remember "custom".
Old 11-27-18, 11:57 AM
bigblack06

Sport + mode changes spring rate and engine mapping. I believe that's all it does aside from engine noise.
Old 11-27-18, 01:35 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Sport + mode changes spring rate and engine mapping. I believe that's all it does aside from engine noise.
Then what does regular Sport S Mode do?

In my GS, Sport S changes the engine/transmission/throttle response. Sport S+ adds in the steering changes and tightens up the suspension.
Old 11-28-18, 08:24 AM
bigblack06

Originally Posted by JDR76
Then what does regular Sport S Mode do?

In my GS, Sport S changes the engine/transmission/throttle response. Sport S+ adds in the steering changes and tightens up the suspension.
So I did not know you could customize it, I will try this today. Your right I think it also changes steering as well, usually Sport S was just steering and noise on GS.

Old 11-28-18, 02:35 PM
dsc07
Pole Position

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by john341
Its a mandated rule by the Government. Also just Curious, what exactly does Sport + mode do compared to Sport? Is int it only adding in Enhanced engine sound, or is there other differences?
It's actually not a government mandate. It's the manufacturer's choice of allowing the default powertrain settings to be customized. Where it does come into play in the manufacturer's decision is in the EPA MPG calculations. If the manufacture allows the user to customize this setting, then all powertrain modes need to be included into the MPG calculation. This results in the lowest possible MPG rating for the car. To bump up the mileage a bit, many manufacturers do what Lexus did on the LS500. Only allow Normal/Compfort/ECO modes be set as default. By eliminating the Sport/Sport+ modes, you get a higher MPG rating. The point is, it's the manufacturers choice, not a government mandate.
The following users liked this post:
john341 (11-28-18)
Old 11-28-18, 07:53 PM
500fsport
Driver School Candidate

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

I only drive mine in sport s and s+. Wish it would just stay in those modes every time I turn the car on. Keep going back to normal. But not a big deal....
Old 11-29-18, 04:38 PM
franklexus
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

So I did not know you could customize it, I will try this today. Your right I think it also changes steering as well, usually Sport S was just steering and noise on GS.

This is a really helpful table! I always thought the powertrain was more subdued in Comfort mode but apparently it is only the suspension which is changed. Just how I like it.
Old 11-29-18, 04:46 PM
dsc07
Pole Position

Originally Posted by franklexus
This is a really helpful table! I always thought the powertrain was more subdued in Comfort mode but apparently it is only the suspension which is changed. Just how I like it.
You're right, the powertrain isn't adjusted in comfort mode, but it's still only the same as normal. I've found the best setting to be a custom setting: Comfort suspension, sport power, and normal climate. That's the only way I drive, except when I forget to push the bloody button to select custom mode.
Old 11-30-18, 06:07 AM
franklexus
Driver

Originally Posted by dsc07
You're right, the powertrain isn't adjusted in comfort mode, but it's still only the same as normal. I've found the best setting to be a custom setting: Comfort suspension, sport power, and normal climate. That's the only way I drive, except when I forget to push the bloody button to select custom mode.
Thanks, I shall try that today! One thing I don't particularly care for in Sports mode is the artificially piped sound. From the table, that shouldn't occur when I select "Sports" powertrain in Custom mode.
Old 11-30-18, 12:14 PM
franklexus
Driver

Originally Posted by dsc07
Enjoyed the best of both worlds today! Responsive acceleration and comfortable suspension with no sports mode growl!
Old 11-30-18, 12:31 PM
dsc07
Pole Position

Originally Posted by franklexus
Enjoyed the best of both worlds today! Responsive acceleration and comfortable suspension with no sports mode growl!
Now if we could just get them to enable setting custom mode as default, we'd be all set.