LS - 5th Gen (2018-present) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS500 and LS460 F.

This doesn't Make Sense

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-18, 03:17 PM
PCW
Pit Crew

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
Angry This doesn't Make Sense

Was at my local Northern VA dealer today speaking with the Sales Mgr who does the custom ordering. I explained to him that I am looking at custom ordering a new LS- F-Sport around January. I explained that I wanted a rear wheel drive with the ML audio and the Panoramic View camera which I currently have on my 2016 RX350. He said that currently Lexus will not accept a custom build with the Panoramic View Camera ($800) without the addition of the $1500 Air Suspension and the $9700 Performance Pkg. So in another words in order to get the $800 camera one must spend an additional $11,200 on options that I do not want! I just don't understand why Lexus would require this! Maybe it will change in 6-9 months but I doubt it. Very discouraging!

Last edited by PCW; 06-21-18 at 07:06 PM.
Old 06-21-18, 07:28 AM
dsc07
Pole Position

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by PCW
Was at my local Northern VA dealer today speaking with the Sales Mgr who does the custom ordering. I explained to him that I am looking at customer ordering a new LS- F-Sport around January. I explained that I wanted a rear wheel drive with the ML audio and the Panoramic View camera which I currently have on my 2016 RX350. He said that currently Lexus will not accept a custom build with the Panoramic View Camera ($800) without the addition of the $1500 Air Suspension and the $9700 Performance Pkg. So another words in order to get the $800 camera one must spend an additional $11,200 on options that I do not want! I just don't understand why Lexus would require this! Maybe it will change in 6-9 months but I doubt it. Very discouraging!
Try another dealership because that info. is definitely not correct. What the Panoramic view monitor does require is the $3000 Safety System A+ package. The reason I was given is that the Safety A+ system includes some of the cameras that the Panoramic view monitor uses to render its images. Also, try building it on the Lexus website to confirm.
Old 06-21-18, 09:19 AM
reposado2
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by PCW
Was at my local Northern VA dealer today speaking with the Sales Mgr who does the custom ordering. I explained to him that I am looking at customer ordering a new LS- F-Sport around January. I explained that I wanted a rear wheel drive with the ML audio and the Panoramic View camera which I currently have on my 2016 RX350. He said that currently Lexus will not accept a custom build with the Panoramic View Camera ($800) without the addition of the $1500 Air Suspension and the $9700 Performance Pkg. So another words in order to get the $800 camera one must spend an additional $11,200 on options that I do not want! I just don't understand why Lexus would require this! Maybe it will change in 6-9 months but I doubt it. Very discouraging!
If it can be done with the online build on the Lexus website, it can be done. They are likely trying to pad their sales.

I do have a question for you if you dont mind... how much off the MSRP are they offering for a custom LS order?
Old 06-21-18, 01:03 PM
PCW
Pit Crew

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

I did not request a price yet as I will not be in a position to purchase until January. Also I did try a "build" online and I got the same extra requirements.
Old 06-21-18, 01:05 PM
reposado2
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by PCW
I did try a "build" online and I got the same extra requirements.
Then what the dealer is telling you is probably legit.
Old 06-22-18, 07:02 AM
Robb92914
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah i noticed that when I did the build on the site. It doesn't make sense to me either.
Old 06-22-18, 12:58 PM
dsc07
Pole Position

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by PCW
I did not request a price yet as I will not be in a position to purchase until January. Also I did try a "build" online and I got the same extra requirements.
You're right. Odd that the F-Sport has different requirements than the standard.
Old 06-22-18, 01:46 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

nothing new for US spec cars. in japan you can customize pretty much everything, but for US spec cars a lot of times they bundle things together so they force you to get bunch of useless stuff.
Old 06-25-18, 11:26 AM
scubadvr1
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
nothing new for US spec cars. in japan you can customize pretty much everything, but for US spec cars a lot of times they bundle things together so they force you to get bunch of useless stuff.
I agree. Each region in the US determines what options must be bundled together when they put in their build orders with the factory. But if you're trying to build a custom car, you should be able to pick and choose exactly what you want. When you "build" your car on the Lexus website you are not truly building a custom car; you're merely choosing amongst the pre-determined option combinations that your sales region has already agreed to.
Old 06-25-18, 06:24 PM
Nospinzone

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

Last week in preparation for my test drive of a LS 500, I did a build on the website. I found that some options required you to order other options. In some cases the additional option didn't make sense as a requirement. I particularly didn't like that almost any option required you to order the air suspension, which I refuse to order.

As an aside, I found the Lexus build site extremely cumbersome. We ordered a 2018 Porsche Panamera for my wife and their build site is unbelievably good and light years ahead of the Lexus site. It was very easy to select options, and each time you added an option there was an exact model of your car with the option you just added. There were 5 photos, 3 of the exterior and 2 of the interior. So if you changed from a walnut wood interior to an anthracite wood, the photo of the interior would immediately change to what you selected. Choose a different wheel and the car changed to your new wheel selection. Now some options required you to order certain options, but nothing that didn't make any sense, unlike the Lexus site.

When I built my 2007 online it was a much easier and straightforward process. The current process is very off putting.
The following users liked this post:
PCW (06-26-18)