LS - 5th Gen (2018-present) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS500 and LS460 F.

Hows the "Lane tracing assist?"

Old 08-09-18, 10:08 PM
shinonclub
Rookie

Received 72 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by reposado2

Thanks for the great info. I understand sometimes the car uses lane markings and other times it "locks on" to the car in front of you. Does it switch between the 2 modes automatically or manually?
The system automatically switches between the different modes based on the lane marking conditions. So it's a breeze to use.
The following users liked this post:
reposado2 (08-10-18)
Old 04-04-19, 08:03 PM
Lexi Ldy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by reposado2
hmm you sure you didn't only activate the Lane keeping assist? The lane tracing assist clearly should do more than just alert the driver when the car has drifted out of lane. Its meant to compete with Nissan propilot, Tesla autopilot, Volvo pilotassist, etc..

I have a 2018 LS 500 with lane tracking assist. I also have the vibration feature turned on for the steering wheel. The lane tracking assist works fine ( a little overbearing) but I cannot get the steering wheel to vibrate. I have purposely gone over the line with no vibrating. I checked the option and it is turned on. When I turn the feature on the steering wheel vibrates in my hands, but when I cross over the line it does nothing. I must admit, this is my 11th Lexus, mostly LS's and it is so complicated I really wish I had not purchased it.
Old 04-05-19, 05:52 AM
nsaldanh
Lead Lap

Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

Do you have the HUD system? If so, you can see if the car is sensing that you are straying outside the lines. I have this turned on and each time I get close to the lines the car will steer me back and the steering wheel vibrates.
Old 04-05-19, 03:18 PM
Damage
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I definitely see the bouncing in the lanes effect. If it creeps onto one side of the road, it'll move you slowly back towards center but then it's like it stops tracking the lane lines to KEEP you centered. It literally to assist you getting back to center but then relies on you to STAY centered. If you don't provide input to the steering wheel, the car will travel wherever the system last thought was the center and had the steering wheel aligned to that centerline. So what ends up happening on a non perfectly straight road is you'll eventually bounce to the other side of the lane and then it's rinse and repeat.

This is why it's lane keep "assist", not lane keep "maintain".
Old 04-06-19, 06:19 AM
nsaldanh
Lead Lap

Damage: This is exactly what happens. If the road is straight it will track it really well. If it's not then it will attempt to keep it centered by constantly providing steering input to counter the curve.
Old 04-18-19, 11:50 AM
Ravill
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I get tons of ping ponging. It gets kind of annoying when it's really bad.
Old 04-19-19, 06:10 AM
nsaldanh
Lead Lap

This was a novelty in the beginning. Now I just drive as I always have -- paying attention to the road and providing steering input as needed to keep the car centered. LTA just keeps an eye out for me if I am getting too close to one of the lines.
Old 05-28-19, 12:55 PM
Damage
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just realized on a roadtrip that the lane assist is MILES better when you're using it as part of cruise control rather than just normal driving. It actually maintains me centered in the lane. HUGE difference. When in cruise control mode with the lane assist on, the HUD displays thicker side lines overlaid over the lane markers.
Old 05-29-19, 07:59 AM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 185 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Damage
I just realized on a roadtrip that the lane assist is MILES better when you're using it as part of cruise control rather than just normal driving. It actually maintains me centered in the lane. HUGE difference. When in cruise control mode with the lane assist on, the HUD displays thicker side lines overlaid over the lane markers.
That's the only time I use it.
Old 05-31-19, 07:52 AM
Ravill
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

My drive got WAY better when I turned off lane centering.

Way less ping-ponging in the lanes.