Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

My kind of cop!! CHP officer issues driver ticket for driving too slowly

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-18, 10:56 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts
Default My kind of cop!! CHP officer issues driver ticket for driving too slowly

https://abc7.com/amp/traffic/chp-off...-lane/4041955/

really more for impeding traffic in the slow lane, but nevertheless it is illegal and i'm happy to see this getting enforced for a change. pretty short "article" but here's the content:

CHICO, Calif. - A California Highway Patrol officer is receiving a lot of "likes" on Facebook after giving a driver a ticket for going too slow in the fast lane and clogging up traffic.

The CHP Chico Office posted a photo on the department's Facebook page. It shows the citation issued to the driver for going 45 miles an hour and impeding traffic.

Twenty cars were backed up behind the driver in the fast lane of Skyway in Chico, according to the CHP.

"Just a friendly reminder for those who may not be aware of California Vehicle Code Section 21654," the post said. "If vehicles are passing you on the right, you are in the incorrect lane. Please use the right lane for driving and the left lane for passing."

The CHP said moving over and allowing vehicles to pass will help limit unnecessary congestion and reduce the potential for an accident.
Old 08-30-18, 12:39 AM
theory816
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Huh? Why is this news?
Old 08-30-18, 05:05 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Funny I've been watching season 1 of CHiPs. I had a boss once that said she had an Erik Estrada poster and a crush on him. 1977 looks like a fascinating time.

Calif. is no joke, you can be ticketed for jaywalking, and for not yielding to a ped, both ways. Where else would people go to a **** store, and buy a blow up doll to ride the carpool lane, and even get busted? And they used to have $540 red light camera violations (I don't condone running lights and am pro RLC, but the fine was a bit steep even still). Or, you get an expensive violation for not curbing your front wheels, when a grade is x%? In Phila., it could be a very steep hill, and wheels are straight ahead (dumb). People abuse carpool lanes in NJ and the Staten Island Expressway day in, day out, lack of enforcement.

Although the one I love is crossing to NYC or SI and paying $6.50 with my wife and son, carpool rate verified by a person. Normal rate $12.50 E-ZPass, or $15 cash.

edit: CA is a place where many rules/laws are strictly enforced

Last edited by Johnhav430; 08-30-18 at 05:10 AM.
Old 08-30-18, 08:09 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Funny I've been watching season 1 of CHiPs. I had a boss once that said she had an Erik Estrada poster and a crush on him. 1977 looks like a fascinating time.

Calif. is no joke, you can be ticketed for jaywalking, and for not yielding to a ped, both ways. Where else would people go to a **** store, and buy a blow up doll to ride the carpool lane, and even get busted? And they used to have $540 red light camera violations (I don't condone running lights and am pro RLC, but the fine was a bit steep even still). Or, you get an expensive violation for not curbing your front wheels, when a grade is x%? In Phila., it could be a very steep hill, and wheels are straight ahead (dumb). People abuse carpool lanes in NJ and the Staten Island Expressway day in, day out, lack of enforcement.

Although the one I love is crossing to NYC or SI and paying $6.50 with my wife and son, carpool rate verified by a person. Normal rate $12.50 E-ZPass, or $15 cash.

edit: CA is a place where many rules/laws are strictly enforced
I saw in a movie where the cop pulled a guy over in California because his low gas light was on, wonder if that is a violation in California too, would not be surprised if it is.
Old 08-30-18, 08:14 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
I saw in a movie where the cop pulled a guy over in California because his low gas light was on, wonder if that is a violation in California too, would not be surprised if it is.
It was probably that in conjunction with an unidentified piece of fruit, likely an orange, that may have been smuggled in from Arizona...a fake Sunkist label often gives it away...

I love how in 1977, it's like all the people are fit, and good-looking...the cars are really something, like seeing those too....

(I for whatever reason prefer SoCal to NorCal, but it has been at least 3 yrs. since I went there for work, was going to LA for a while 2011-12 and loving my Sonata rentals)
Old 08-30-18, 09:16 AM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by theory816
Huh? Why is this news?
idk this cop seemed like the kind of guy who brings innovation to everything they do
Old 08-30-18, 09:41 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts

The hero we need
Old 08-30-18, 02:40 PM
theory816
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
idk this cop seemed like the kind of guy who brings innovation to everything they do
lol why u do dis
Old 08-30-18, 03:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Where else would people go to a **** store, and buy a blow up doll to ride the carpool lane, and even get busted?

And they used to have $540 red light camera violations.
Yeah, here, in the VA suburbs, a red-light-camera-zap is only $50. And that old trick of using mannequins to imitate passengers in the HOV lanes is not limited to CA by any means, either....people here have done it on I-66 for decades.

This may sound like heresy, but I actually wish there were MORE enforcement in this area, like what is described in CA. Every day, from stop lights to speed limits to No-U-Turns to illegal cut-throughs in parking-lots to illegal parking to expired license-plates/inspection stickers to endless cellphone use/texting to you-name-it, I see too many drivers, breaking too many laws, and making too many excuses for doing do.

Old 08-30-18, 03:06 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

I see nothing wrong with cop doing that was stuck behind a slow car on 495 around dc this week in left lane doing 60mph and swerving when I went around the person had their phone with both hands on top of steering wheel texting. I was tempted to brake check them but kept moving about 5 other cars ended up going around before I lost sight.
Old 08-30-18, 03:11 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by theory816
Huh? Why is this news?
because in CA for the most part there is no "left lane for passing" law. There is an "impeding traffic, move to the right" law, however it only applies to Rural areas (which Chico is considered),

The voters in CA have tried multiple times in the past 20 years to get a measure on the ballot that would make the law apply to Urban areas as well.

Old 08-30-18, 11:43 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,216 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by mjeds
because in CA for the most part there is no "left lane for passing" law. There is an "impeding traffic, move to the right" law, however it only applies to Rural areas (which Chico is considered),

The voters in CA have tried multiple times in the past 20 years to get a measure on the ballot that would make the law apply to Urban areas as well.
Thank you for mentioning this: yes, there is no law is on the books that requires someone to treat the left lane the passing lane in California. I've found that quite a lot of CA drivers are actually courteous about this but there are a great number who are not and do not care to move over when they have a good and safe opportunity when someone comes up behind them to pass. No law to enforce this commonly accepted code of driver conduct just makes the negligence problem worse and it only reinforces the additional trend of people passing in any lane they can on CA's multi-lane highways.

It's a problem everywhere of course but if CA were to define the left lane as the passing lane officially as in most other states it would be a good thing.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 08-30-18 at 11:47 PM.
Old 08-31-18, 02:04 AM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

you honk the slowpokes in the fast lane, and they still don't move over.
They're deaf.
Old 08-31-18, 06:33 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 204 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
Well played, sir.
Old 08-31-18, 09:15 AM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by geko29
Well played, sir.
lmao i told him that was an amazing line

Quick Reply: My kind of cop!! CHP officer issues driver ticket for driving too slowly