LS - 5th Gen (2018-present) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS500 and LS460 F.

Hows the "Lane tracing assist?"

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-18, 10:01 AM
reposado2
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Hows the "Lane tracing assist?"

Anyone tried out the new lexus "codrive" on the LS?

Mainly the lane tracing assist(LTA) where its supposed to keep you in lane on highways with minimum driver input(more active vs the current lane keeping assist).
Old 03-12-18, 06:17 PM
pgiinc
Intermediate

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by reposado2
Anyone tried out the new lexus "codrive" on the LS?

Mainly the lane tracing assist(LTA) where its supposed to keep you in lane on highways with minimum driver input(more active vs the current lane keeping assist).
yes I did it seems to work like my 2016es 300h vibrates when you cross the line but it wont drive by itself has some self steer
Old 03-12-18, 07:23 PM
reposado2
Driver

Originally Posted by pgiinc
yes I did it seems to work like my 2016es 300h vibrates when you cross the line but it wont drive by itself has some self steer
hmm you sure you didn't only activate the Lane keeping assist? The lane tracing assist clearly should do more than just alert the driver when the car has drifted out of lane. Its meant to compete with Nissan propilot, Tesla autopilot, Volvo pilotassist, etc..

Last edited by reposado2; 03-12-18 at 07:26 PM.
Old 03-12-18, 07:44 PM
MJA1951
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I test drove an LS 500 a few weeks ago and on the highway let the car drift toward the other lane. I could feel the car slightly steering back into my lane.
Old 03-13-18, 07:37 AM
reposado2
Driver

Originally Posted by MJA1951
I test drove an LS 500 a few weeks ago and on the highway let the car drift toward the other lane. I could feel the car slightly steering back into my lane.
Was it something the car had to lock on to the lanes and you activate?
Old 03-13-18, 07:46 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts

If the LS500 system is similar to the one in my 2017 G90, the car has to actively be tracking both side lane markings for the system to be available. If the lane markings are clear, the car should actively steer to maintain a fairly centered position in the lane. My G90 did a really nice job of steering smoothly, even around bends in the road. The only problem was that it was so easy to use hands-free that it would set off an annoying audible warning to put my hands back on the wheel if I let it steer itself for more than 15 seconds. This annoying feature would squawk very often if I was driving with just a light touch of the wheel on long straight roads. It almost made me want to shut the whole LKA system off sometimes. I would assume the LS500 operates similarly, with a similar annoying squawk every now and then.
Old 03-14-18, 11:38 AM
reposado2
Driver

I suspect most of you only tested the LKA not the LTA.

I found this recent article that tested the LTA.

"Then, it was time to head out onto the road. The Dynamic Radar Cruise Control and Lane Tracing Assist (LTA) were the first to be tested, keeping the LS a set distance from the car in front and in the centre of the lane. Unlike the latest systems from BMW and Mercedes, the car allows for just 10 seconds of hands-free driving before it nags you to put your hands back on the wheel, rather than the usual 30 seconds. Nevertheless, the LS’ semi-autonomous driving performance worked just as well as – if not better than – other competing systems, rarely deviating from the admittedly clearly-marked lanes of Japanese roads and tracking straight and true even on the gently winding corners on the highway.

Toyota has been careful not to overpromise on its self-driving technology, such as using the word “automated” instead of “autonomous” in its communications – unlike a certain American electric vehicle maker. The greater restrictions placed on hands-free driving on the LS, then, is likely another example of this approach, rather than its lane-keeping system actually being inferior to others."

https://paultan.org/2018/03/14/drive...omment-4488696
Old 03-14-18, 11:48 AM
franklexus
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I suspect most of you only tested the LKA not the LTA.

I found this recent article that tested the LTA.

"Then, it was time to head out onto the road. The Dynamic Radar Cruise Control and Lane Tracing Assist (LTA) were the first to be tested, keeping the LS a set distance from the car in front and in the centre of the lane. Unlike the latest systems from BMW and Mercedes, the car allows for just 10 seconds of hands-free driving before it nags you to put your hands back on the wheel, rather than the usual 30 seconds. Nevertheless, the LS’ semi-autonomous driving performance worked just as well as – if not better than – other competing systems, rarely deviating from the admittedly clearly-marked lanes of Japanese roads and tracking straight and true even on the gently winding corners on the highway.

Toyota has been careful not to overpromise on its self-driving technology, such as using the word “automated” instead of “autonomous” in its communications – unlike a certain American electric vehicle maker. The greater restrictions placed on hands-free driving on the LS, then, is likely another example of this approach, rather than its lane-keeping system actually being inferior to others."

https://paultan.org/2018/03/14/drive...omment-4488696
I would think that's because relatively few vehicles have LTA. It is only included with the available Lexus Safety System +A package and not the standard + package. My vehicle doesn't have it. If LTA works similarly as LKA, then it shuts off if you take your hands off the wheel for a prolonged period of time (as the author points out above). I have tried it on clear roads and the LKA literally shuts off completely, leaving you to veer off the road. I would suspect LTA behaves the same once you take your hands off. Lexus is very careful not to turn the LS 500 into an autonomous driving car.
Old 03-27-18, 09:29 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Old 06-14-18, 03:00 AM
shinonclub
Rookie

Received 72 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by franklexus
I would think that's because relatively few vehicles have LTA. It is only included with the available Lexus Safety System +A package and not the standard + package. My vehicle doesn't have it. If LTA works similarly as LKA, then it shuts off if you take your hands off the wheel for a prolonged period of time (as the author points out above). I have tried it on clear roads and the LKA literally shuts off completely, leaving you to veer off the road. I would suspect LTA behaves the same once you take your hands off. Lexus is very careful not to turn the LS 500 into an autonomous driving car.
The LTA feature works very well, but it only activates when you turn on cruise control (and of course available with only the Safety+ Advanced package). And the car pretty much drives itself during the time period with hands-off, but then the system warns you to control the steering wheel. Otherwise, it shuts off after the warning.
The following users liked this post:
reposado2 (06-14-18)
Old 06-14-18, 07:45 AM
reposado2
Driver

Originally Posted by shinonclub
The LTA feature works very well, but it only activates when you turn on cruise control (and of course available with only the Safety+ Advanced package). And the car pretty much drives itself during the time period with hands-off, but then the system warns you to control the steering wheel. Otherwise, it shuts off after the warning.
Thanks for the info.... If you dont mind me asking for more details... how much "ping pong" did you experience during LTA? How well does it work when the lanes marking are not clear... does it really follow the car in front instead?
Old 06-14-18, 07:43 PM
JackMac
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

The lane keeping works well on highways.
The steering wheel vibrates and then does gently steer. You can overpower it. Then it centers.
All this only if it sees stripes on both sides of the car.
You can see in the heads up display if it sees two lanes or one or none.
reposado2 (06-14-18)
Old 06-16-18, 05:11 AM
Bob04
Pole Position

Received 158 Likes on 117 Posts

Toyota is adding this to the 2019 RAV4 options, so it will be working it way into more affordable cars soon.
Old 08-09-18, 05:58 PM
shinonclub
Rookie

Received 72 Likes on 26 Posts

Thanks for the info.... If you dont mind me asking for more details... how much "ping pong" did you experience during LTA? How well does it work when the lanes marking are not clear... does it really follow the car in front instead?
My experience with LKA/LTA on my LS 500 has been pretty good. No "ping pong" effect has been noticed. However, the system warns you after about 10 seconds of completely hands-free. So I usually use a finger or two to lightly tap on the steering wheel to avoid the warnings. That way, minimal effort is involved, especially during long road trips like the ones between SF and LA. The system uses not only the lane markings, but also medium textures, side/shoulder gravels, anything that differentiate the lane material and sides of road/lane. All in all, it works reasonably well as a tool during long drives.
reposado2 (08-10-18)
Old 08-09-18, 07:11 PM
reposado2
Driver

Originally Posted by shinonclub
My experience with LKA/LTA on my LS 500 has been pretty good. No "ping pong" effect has been noticed. However, the system warns you after about 10 seconds of completely hands-free. So I usually use a finger or two to lightly tap on the steering wheel to avoid the warnings. That way, minimal effort is involved, especially during long road trips like the ones between SF and LA. The system uses not only the lane markings, but also medium textures, side/shoulder gravels, anything that differentiate the lane material and sides of road/lane. All in all, it works reasonably well as a tool during long drives.
Thanks for the great info. I understand sometimes the car uses lane markings and other times it "locks on" to the car in front of you. Does it switch between the 2 modes automatically or manually?

Quick Reply: Hows the "Lane tracing assist?"