LS - 5th Gen (2018-present) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS500 and LS460 F.

Finally test drove the LS500...

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-18, 04:42 PM
dsc07
Pole Position

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Kennyr44
So they spent so much time before and after the test drive trying to schmooze and keep me there, bouncing me to a manager on my way out and telling me about how customer service and satisfaction is their top priority. Just let me drive and get to try and enjoy the car and it will sell itself. I'm not there to make friends or get hard sold on what great people you are. I was in the car such a short period of time the whole experience was meaningless. Almost every other time I have test driven new cars they try to keep me driving the car to get used to it so I will want to buy it. The customer goes out of his way to come to your lot, pulls in in his LS460 which they all saw and they offer you a 5 minute test drive after 20 minutes of booking your information. Really!
Wow, such a different experience from my dealership. I went on 3 different test drives before I ordered. One was a 30 minute drive to my house to make sure the car had enough clearance to make it down my driveway.
Old 05-01-18, 05:37 AM
mgauss7
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree 100%. They are different cars. If I were a consultant to lexus, I'd tell them to keep the LS460, let the 460 and 500 find their way to the buyers.

The LS460 reached perfection for what it was, for that Lexus feel: it feels like the Enterprise leaving the dock, steady as a battleship, full of confidence and power. It handles well like the Enterprise in action, but it is no Millennial Falcon.

Sure the LS500 lost the steadiness. It handles great in tight turns, but it feels nervous.

The GS handles better in turns, and it is not nervous. The GS feels smaller, though.

Inside the LS500 you do hear the engine, you feel the shifting, it is not confident, serene. It is nervous and louder than the LS460.

They really have different markets.
Old 05-01-18, 05:03 PM
lpdc1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disappointed

I have been waiting anxiously for the LS500. I have watched endless You tube docs and read many reviews. I finally got to drive one last week. I was disappointed to see the small cab after they made the car bigger. The info system is a real pain. The sales men could not figure out how to adjust the back of my seat thru the info system. I can not believe Lexus moved some of the seat adjustments off the seat and into the info system. This system reminds me of the old BMW's when they came out with their first info system. You could buy those cars second hand very cheap.
Another thing that bothers me is the font size of the buttons on the steering wheel. They have moved the clock back under the dash where you can hardly see it.
The Cruise and lane assist is nothing special compared to other cars. My friend let me drive his Audi 7. What a difference. You push a few buttons and the car takes you where you want to go.
In summary I am very disappointed in the LS500. I currently own a 2013 GS350. I wanted a larger car but I might just get another GS350 or an Audi.
Old 03-05-24, 09:55 AM
slightreturn
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I realize this is an old thread, but I wholeheartedly agree. I have an '05 430. I was at the dealership getting some fluids changed (I always do that at the dealer because I think OEM fluids are the way to go), and they had an nice-looking silver LS500 in stock and they let me test drive it. There's really no reason to sell the 430 because it works fine; you can't help being curious though. Anyhow, the 500 is a very very nice car. Couple of observations from my quick test drive:

1. I couldn't drive one regularly because at 6'2, there's essentially no headroom (maybe you could order one with no sunroof; didn't ask). The roof also comes down in front of your eyes quite far -- almost like the car's wearing a baseball cap. Kinda like my old 4Runner in that sense.
2. The car is huuuuuge. 3" wider, 10' longer, and half a ton heavier than an LS430. Whoa! The length alone would make it pretty tough in city traffic. The turning radius is surprisingly good for such a long-wheelbase car, but it's not doubletake-inducing tight like a 430. It's like driving a nice-looking aircraft carrier.
3. Absolutely smooth and quiet, similar to the 430 except even smoother. Zero wallowing, zero unwanted body motions.
4. Not much room in the trunk; maybe half the volume of the 430's.
5. Handles insanely well for such a heavy car. The CG is probabably a lot lower in a 500. Much more sporty than a 430, although I realize that's not saying much.
6. Notable turbo lag. This is so sad. Toyota/Lexus had _mastered_ naturally aspirated V8s, and no they go to a turbo 6? Newsflash: nobody buying this car is all that likely to care about a few mpg. "LS" and "big beefy silky smooth V8" used to be synonomous.
7. Nav/radio interface is finally sorted out; you don't have to use that weird mouse thing any more. I think that's new to the 2024 models. Works great and is now super easy.
8. The interior is truly a work of art, with a couple of minor exceptions. E.g., the seatbelt-height things that are electrically powered in a 430 (which is needless, but pretty cool!) are just hard plastic and require manual adjustment ... oh the hardship!!!
9. Steering is extremely light. Over the years, Lexus has lightened the LS steering feel quite a bit. Personally I like it a bit stiffer but opinions vary.
10. Windshield & rear window are extremely, extremely raked and there's not much rear visibility.
11. Sound system is _superb_.
12. Braking is nothing short of perfection.

Anyhow these things apparently aren't selling well at all. Not too surprising. A 430 had a handsome but totally forgettable design but that is part of the charm ... it just looks like a generic car until you look a little closer. Immense presence and understated good taste. I think that for the next LS, Lexus should take the facelifted 430, give it a few updates such as safety stuff, updated nav/stereo, a mild overhaul of the interior, and a big honkin' V8 ... maybe a similar unit to the one used in a Land Cruiser (but not like the hybrid direct injection setup they used in the 460). They would sell like hotcakes. A 430 is about the same size/weight as a modern E Class Merc or 5-series BMW and that's just a perfect size for most places in the USA.

Originally Posted by Bob04
I own a 430 and I'm just surprised how far they have gone away from that formula. I desperately wanted them to reverse course and make a "new" 430. Big, roomy, conservative but elegant, smooth, ultra-quiet and comfortable. Just with updated safety features and electronic toys. Seems like the G90 is going with that formula. Maybe Lexus sees something in the market that everyone else doesn't see. Sales numbers will tell the story. Can't wait to read some reviews from owners.
Old 03-07-24, 06:27 AM
Nalod
Advanced

Received 285 Likes on 175 Posts

Luxury sedans don't sell well and the luxury market has gone to bigger and expensive trucks/Suv's. Friend of mine picked me up in his platinum Ford 150 that was tricked up to about 90k cost. It was impressive and its a truck that can do all kinds of things. He drives a lot for work and no need for a truck. No need for the wonderful butch looking tires and wheels. He wanted big, wanted safety, and being a macho dude wants that feeling of respect that comes with hit.

I like your assessment of your 14 year old car vs. the 2024. I'd say turbo lag might be new car learning its driver and a 10 speed transmission looking for the right combination? I hardly notice the lag anymore. I bought a 2019 with 28k miles on it 14 months. I won't comment on the 430 trunk being double the size. That might be a stretch.

In a perfect world perhaps I'd be down with a non turbo v8 but thats not what I wanted. Im smitten with this LS500. one can customize a driving preference or just use the two modes of "sport" which will tighten up the steering. I agree its lighter than preferred but at some point you get used to it all and roll with it. Perhaps at 100k one wants it all? Thats reasonable. At about half that (used) one looks at "for the money" aspect.

Your spot on that this car at its lofty weight does quite well. My non F-sport brakes do quite well for spirited driving and she moves very well for her size. Its not "a blast" as the car is muted in silence but the seat of my pants does convey the acceleration goodness.

I'd like to drive a 430 or 460 now and compare.
The following users liked this post:
sajack (03-07-24)
Old 03-07-24, 05:05 PM
sajack
Intermediate

Received 101 Likes on 71 Posts
Default 430 vs 500

I have both and agree with most of what has been said.
The biggest, most noticeable difference btwn. my two cars is visibility/ glass area. The 430 has plenty of it. The 500 is more like a cocoon. I drive with the seat all the way back and the 500’s big B pillar obstructs vision when attempting to pull out into traffic.
I love the openness of the 430’s interior, its low waistline and big windows. Door windows on the 430 are 3” taller than those on the 500. My 5’-1” wife can’t see out of the 500.
Yes the V8 is smoother, but it can’t compare to the 500’s turbo power and acceleration.
Handling is much better in the 500 even though it has an 8” longer wheelbase and is 9” longer overall.
My 430 has 16” wheels and plenty of rubber btwn. The rim and the road, so yes it rides smoother.
Paint, fit and finish are comparable.
I suppose if the 430 had all of the 500’s tech and safety features+ a pair of turbos I would pick it.
However I love my LS500, its styling, handling, gorgeous interior, and power.
It’s nice to have both.

Last edited by sajack; 03-07-24 at 05:29 PM.
Old 03-10-24, 05:47 PM
Lingus
Pit Crew

Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by slightreturn
I realize this is an old thread, but I wholeheartedly agree. I have an '05 430. I was at the dealership getting some fluids changed (I always do that at the dealer because I think OEM fluids are the way to go), and they had an nice-looking silver LS500 in stock and they let me test drive it. There's really no reason to sell the 430 because it works fine; you can't help being curious though. Anyhow, the 500 is a very very nice car. Couple of observations from my quick test drive:

1. I couldn't drive one regularly because at 6'2, there's essentially no headroom (maybe you could order one with no sunroof; didn't ask). The roof also comes down in front of your eyes quite far -- almost like the car's wearing a baseball cap. Kinda like my old 4Runner in that sense.
2. The car is huuuuuge. 3" wider, 10' longer, and half a ton heavier than an LS430. Whoa! The length alone would make it pretty tough in city traffic. The turning radius is surprisingly good for such a long-wheelbase car, but it's not doubletake-inducing tight like a 430. It's like driving a nice-looking aircraft carrier.
3. Absolutely smooth and quiet, similar to the 430 except even smoother. Zero wallowing, zero unwanted body motions.
4. Not much room in the trunk; maybe half the volume of the 430's.
5. Handles insanely well for such a heavy car. The CG is probabably a lot lower in a 500. Much more sporty than a 430, although I realize that's not saying much.
6. Notable turbo lag. This is so sad. Toyota/Lexus had _mastered_ naturally aspirated V8s, and no they go to a turbo 6? Newsflash: nobody buying this car is all that likely to care about a few mpg. "LS" and "big beefy silky smooth V8" used to be synonomous.
7. Nav/radio interface is finally sorted out; you don't have to use that weird mouse thing any more. I think that's new to the 2024 models. Works great and is now super easy.
8. The interior is truly a work of art, with a couple of minor exceptions. E.g., the seatbelt-height things that are electrically powered in a 430 (which is needless, but pretty cool!) are just hard plastic and require manual adjustment ... oh the hardship!!!
9. Steering is extremely light. Over the years, Lexus has lightened the LS steering feel quite a bit. Personally I like it a bit stiffer but opinions vary.
10. Windshield & rear window are extremely, extremely raked and there's not much rear visibility.
11. Sound system is _superb_.
12. Braking is nothing short of perfection.

Anyhow these things apparently aren't selling well at all. Not too surprising. A 430 had a handsome but totally forgettable design but that is part of the charm ... it just looks like a generic car until you look a little closer. Immense presence and understated good taste. I think that for the next LS, Lexus should take the facelifted 430, give it a few updates such as safety stuff, updated nav/stereo, a mild overhaul of the interior, and a big honkin' V8 ... maybe a similar unit to the one used in a Land Cruiser (but not like the hybrid direct injection setup they used in the 460). They would sell like hotcakes. A 430 is about the same size/weight as a modern E Class Merc or 5-series BMW and that's just a perfect size for most places in the USA.
Excellent and fair comparison. Thank you.

Old 03-11-24, 04:56 AM
sajack
Intermediate

Received 101 Likes on 71 Posts
Default Trunk Capacity

To be fair, there is only 3 cubic feet more trunk space in the LS430 than the LS500. Strangest thing is the 430 has room for a spare tire in the bottom of the trunk. LS500 has a big battery in that location and I don’t see any place they could have mounted it under the hood.
Yes, the LS430 was the perfect big sedan in its day, but it might not sell in today’s market. People have peculiar ideas about styling.
An SUV based on the LS430 might have been an interesting concept.
After all these years the thing that still most amazes me about the LS430 is the tight turning circle, less than many smaller FWD cars.

Last edited by sajack; 03-11-24 at 05:02 AM.