LS - 5th Gen (2018-present) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS500 and LS460 F.

LS500 Base

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-18, 11:13 AM
COOLIS
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
Default LS500 Base

Up until now, it seems all the photos I've seen of the LS500 have been higher end models along with the one I saw in person. I checked autotrader this morning, and the LS500 has arrived at dealers. I'm shocked at how bad the base model looks both exterior and interior! The rims are horrible, the interior loses a lot its finesse and I think this might detour some people. I know Lexus isn't trying to be a budget player, but if I was looking for a luxury sedan in the $75k range, I would opt for the G90 V8 vs. the LS500 base. It looks that much different from the higher end trims. The silver one below looks more like an Altima or Mazda 6 than a Lexus IMO.

Old 02-16-18, 12:39 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 792 Likes on 685 Posts

I agree on the wheels, they are out of porportion with the rest of the car. They're too small for the body and are not pretty to look at either. With that being said about most of the older LS wheels aswell.

The fsport and the chrome wheels are the only decent ones for this new LS
Old 02-16-18, 12:58 PM
COOLIS
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by ibidu1
I agree on the wheels, they are out of porportion with the rest of the car. They're too small for the body and are not pretty to look at either. With that being said about most of the older LS wheels aswell.

The fsport and the chrome wheels are the only decent ones for this new LS
These base wheels are way off proportion! This is akin to the 2001-2003 base model LS - the wheels were ugly. They fixed this in 2004 and beyond. The base wheels on the 07-17 were fine.
Old 02-16-18, 01:21 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 792 Likes on 685 Posts

Thank God for Vossen
Old 02-16-18, 01:30 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Wheels look great ��
Old 02-18-18, 01:12 PM
xfea
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

That is disappointing.
LEXUS knows it can't compete with the top European brands and chooses to play second instead of going head to head.
F Sport for the LS is little more than a trim package... Mercedes AMG? BMW M? Audi S?
Lexus offers nothing for the performance driver.

Top of the line LS for luxury?
Can't hold a candle to top Mercedes / Audi / BMW / Porsche - the specs are laughably inadequate.

They are making strides with the LC - soon to have a convertible and F Sport version with serious hp...but what about LS?
I SURE hope that LEXUS will make some drivetrain and trim changes SOON.
A REAL LS F-Sport 550+ hp, serious Lux (that info center stack belongs in a ... was going to say Hyundai but even a Sonata has a better Sat / Nav..)

Face it - we're pegged as the boring fuddy duddies that like dependable cars...
LEXUS won't be able to get conquest sales from top European brands until they step it up.

And what about the LX - I have a 2015 - love it - but it's a dozen year old platform - I'm waiting to test drive a 2018 Lincoln Navigator and very likely trade....uugghh

LEXUS - you're letting me down

Till then.....

Last edited by xfea; 02-18-18 at 01:24 PM.
Old 02-18-18, 02:47 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by xfea
That is disappointing.
LEXUS knows it can't compete with the top European brands and chooses to play second instead of going head to head.
F Sport for the LS is little more than a trim package... Mercedes AMG? BMW M? Audi S?
Lexus offers nothing for the performance driver.

Top of the line LS for luxury?
Can't hold a candle to top Mercedes / Audi / BMW / Porsche - the specs are laughably inadequate.

They are making strides with the LC - soon to have a convertible and F Sport version with serious hp...but what about LS?
I SURE hope that LEXUS will make some drivetrain and trim changes SOON.
A REAL LS F-Sport 550+ hp, serious Lux (that info center stack belongs in a ... was going to say Hyundai but even a Sonata has a better Sat / Nav..)

Face it - we're pegged as the boring fuddy duddies that like dependable cars...
LEXUS won't be able to get conquest sales from top European brands until they step it up.

And what about the LX - I have a 2015 - love it - but it's a dozen year old platform - I'm waiting to test drive a 2018 Lincoln Navigator and very likely trade....uugghh

LEXUS - you're letting me down

Till then.....
yeah that old platform and V8 engine and drivetrain built to last 25+ years in a Third World country never break down on you leave you stranded but doesn’t have all the latest Day gadgets that the millennial‘s like actually millennial‘s don’t even like cars They like computers good luck with all the other brands of SUVs I’ll stick with the best made the most reliable platform
Old 02-18-18, 02:56 PM
xfea
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Max707

yeah that old platform and V8 engine and drivetrain built to last 25+ years in a Third World country never break down on you leave you stranded but doesn’t have all the latest Day gadgets that the millennial‘s like actually millennial‘s don’t even like cars They like computers good luck with all the other brands of SUVs I’ll stick with the best made the most reliable platform

Spoken like a fuddy duddy senior that like 'em dependable.

(Third world country? Seriously? Have you ever left your home state?)

I do too - that's why I own them - but something needs to change.
You mean Android Auto and Apple Play are 'Gadgets'?
Sorry to say - it should be standard equipment.

And as much as I like my LX - it has serious shortcomings .

Last edited by xfea; 02-18-18 at 03:04 PM.