Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Telluride vs Palisade...

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-19, 05:00 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts
Default Telluride vs Palisade...

Lots of talk (and ads i notice) for the Kia Teluride, but not as much it seems for cousin Hyundai Palisade.

just saw this article though comparing the two and to me the Palisade looks WAY better (not trying to be off road tough looking) and has a WAY nicer interior.

https://www.cars.com/articles/whats-...1420757095946/

Palisade
Old 05-06-19, 05:39 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I saw the new Hyundai at the Auto Show. It is nice, so far it does looks nicer than the HL.
Old 05-06-19, 06:11 AM
weezer
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Telluride is a bit bigger inside with slightly more legroom then the Palisade but nothing that would really change your decision between the two. Personally I like the interior of the Palisade more while enjoying the rugged looks of the Telluride exterior over the Palisade. Telluride def missed in a few areas that Kia could have gotten ahead of. Rather strange to me that the trims top out at SX, while the Optima and Sorento have SXL trims. Looks like features(Full 12.3 digital dash, 3rd row power folding seats etc) will be reserved for top spec Palisade. My guess is these will be available on the Telluride(possibly in SXL trim in MY 2021 or 2022(kind of like how they held back on 360 Camera, wireless charging, heated rear seats on MY 2018 Stinger(which were later added into the MY 2019 GT2). Also seems odd the color choices are so limited on the Telluride, especially the lack of any blue shade however two black shades(Ebony and Copper Black with copper being the only unique color for the SX) and white, silver, sangria(which looks like black copper in certain lighting) green, and grey. Only my opinion but it appears that Kia is in a similar spot to the Toyota / Lexus relationship - they leave off a few key features to keep from losing sales to Hyundai(and Hyundai is doing the same with Genesis). Hyundai is going for the Luxury angle(and even more so with Genesis) and Kia is going for the Sport / rugged angle. Usually I love the Kia offerings over the Hyundai counterparts for many reasons, but this one is more of a toss up. With all that being said I just put a deposit on the Telluride(best in class right now, blown away by it actually - as are every single reviewer I have seen online). They lease out really nice and IMO in most categories smokes the Atlas(features are there, but the interior for a 50k vehicle is laughable and the exterior design is lazy), Pathfinder, Pilot, and Ascent. Also test drove the soon to be redesigned MDX and wow the Telluride just blew it out of the water. Almost identical exterior dimensions yet the interior space was so different I almost couldn't believe it(132.7 vs 178.1 cu inch). I'll have a few review once it's in my hands... the demand on these especially in SX/Prestige trim is unreal. Most people having to wait 8-10 weeks... thankfully my dealer(who I probably refer 12 deals a year to) is getting me their first inbound SX/Prestige Model due in May 23rd. Super excited, and its going to fit right in next to my GT2 . The Telluride would look absolutely sick in the Ceramic Silver(Ghost Grey) exterior of my Stinger. The pics below are of my Stinger, but of someone else's Telluride from another dealer.

Old 05-06-19, 06:42 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Im the exact opposite. I too seen the Palisade at the autoshow and think its absolutely brutal to look at. The interior layout is nice, but dont think its a huge difference from the Telluride. I may be slightly biased, but I'd go Kia here.
Old 05-06-19, 07:37 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Lots of talk (and ads i notice) for the Kia Teluride, but not as much it seems for cousin Hyundai Palisade.

just saw this article though comparing the two and to me the Palisade looks WAY better (not trying to be off road tough looking) and has a WAY nicer interior.

https://www.cars.com/articles/whats-...1420757095946/

Palisade
I saw both at the Philly Auto Show; I liked the Hyundai better. I think it's really going to come down to personal preferences as to which one any person likes better.
Old 05-06-19, 10:48 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by weezer
... With all that being said I just put a deposit on the Telluride(best in class right now, blown away by it actually - as are every single reviewer I have seen online). They lease out really nice and IMO in most categories smokes the Atlas(features are there, but the interior for a 50k vehicle is laughable and the exterior design is lazy), Pathfinder, Pilot, and Ascent. Also test drove the soon to be redesigned MDX and wow the Telluride just blew it out of the water.
first off congrats on ordering a telluride! i'll fix the thread title because i didn't know it was two "l's.

did you compare it to a highlander by any chance? about the mdx i believe current model is a refresh of a now very old platform/design?

mdx kinda reminds me of current (old) explorer... huge vehicle with not great space inside.
Old 05-06-19, 10:51 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GFerg
Im the exact opposite. I too seen the Palisade at the autoshow and think its absolutely brutal to look at. The interior layout is nice, but dont think its a huge difference from the Telluride. I may be slightly biased, but I'd go Kia here.
lol i'm sure hyundai doesn't care if people pick the palisade or telluride as long as they pick one of them.

the other thing i'm excited about is if these are the 'mainstream' offerings then the genesis version could be pretty awesome, but may be on a completely different platform (rwd?).
Old 05-06-19, 12:00 PM
Propulsion
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

I’ll take the Palisade’s luxo interior and the Telluride’s masculine exterior.
Old 05-06-19, 03:00 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Palisade is almost ugly up front. Telluride looks way better. Hyundai needs to rethink this latest grill shape of theirs. All Kia's look better than the Hyundai counterparts.
Old 05-06-19, 05:15 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Big hate on the Palisade is the push button shifter
Old 05-06-19, 05:45 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

The Palisade & Teluride twins are very nice, well engineered & BIG. That’s where it stops. The 3.8 V-6 they use is anemic at best. It’s too big of a vehicle to do well on a wimpy V-6. It needs a turbo to wake it up for towing or fully loaded with people & gear. Maybe they will boost it up for next year’s model...
Old 05-06-19, 05:48 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by gadgetman1
The Palisade & Teluride twins are very nice, well engineered & BIG. That’s where it stops. The 3.8 V-6 they use is anemic at best. It’s too big of a vehicle to do well on a wimpy V-6. It needs a turbo to wake it up for towing or fully loaded with people & gear. Maybe they will boost it up for next year’s model...
They are no bigger than half the segment which have similar power numbers.
Old 05-06-19, 06:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Big hate on the Palisade is the push button shifter
With all due respect, I see nothing wrong with bush-button shifters. I first learned to drive with them...on 1960s vintage Chrysler products. Today, GMC and Lincoln are (successfully) using them on a number of their products. IMO it sure beats the rotary-shifters we see on today's Fords, Chryslers, and Jaguars.
Old 05-06-19, 06:37 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by gadgetman1
Early test numbers indicate that the performance is in the same area as an RX350 even though these "twins" are much larger. Remember that these are mid-priced crossovers, not luxury or heavy duty off-roaders. Expect the turbo engine in the Genesis SUV.
Old 05-06-19, 06:40 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

That's because Telluride is at dealers (although the SX, especially with Prestige Package) is nearly nowhere to be found for most states still. Palisade should start retailing within the next few months, expect a flurry of marketing support once they're available.

Quick Reply: Telluride vs Palisade...