LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Cel VSC lights P0022 code

Old 04-15-19, 04:36 PM
Jetmtx
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Cel VSC lights P0022 code

Hey y’all. I have an 08 LS 460. The CEL along with VSC came on. Runs fine. I checked the codes and the code P0022 came up. Left bank retard of camshaft timing. Would this be the OCV oil control valve? Any help would be appreciated.
The following users liked this post:
CamelKool (10-31-20)
Old 04-15-19, 06:42 PM
ALK
Advanced

Received 133 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Jetmtx
Hey y’all. I have an 08 LS 460. The CEL along with VSC came on. Runs fine. I checked the codes and the code P0022 came up. Left bank retard of camshaft timing. Would this be the OCV oil control valve? Any help would be appreciated.
P0022 Camshaft Position "A" - Timing Over-Retarded (Bank 2) . passenger side EDM. check attachment
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
P0022.pdf (289.1 KB, 537 views)
Jetmtx (04-15-19)
Old 04-15-19, 06:57 PM
Jetmtx
Driver School Candidate

Wow thanks! Looks like I’ll be busy tomorrow. ��
Old 09-15-21, 05:37 AM
Tnguyen528
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ALK
P0022 Camshaft Position "A" - Timing Over-Retarded (Bank 2) . passenger side EDM. check attachment
Hi everyone. This is my first time commenting or posting anything here. I've done alot of reading but now I'm in a big jam. Dont know if anyone here has seen or heard of thjs happening but here I go. 2007 ls460l with 123k miles. One day it started misfiring. I checked the codes and it just keeps coming up multiple misfires, and misfires in 5 and 7. Did the usual spark plug swap and got new coils. Didnt solve the problem, changed the vvt solenoids, valve cover gaskets, spark plug gaskets and still not fixed. Took it to a lexus dealership and they had it for a week. After paying $2600 they couldn't find the problem and wanted anothe$1800 to dig around some more. I stopped it right there and found another motor and did a motor swap. All is good of course. Drove it for about 6 months to this day. All of a sudden this engine is doing the same thing as the old one. I've done everything I can to fix it but still nothing. I get misfires in 3 5 and 7. Im stumped again with the same symptoms as the first engine. Dont want to take it to the dealership to pay for them to toy with it for another week without fixing the problem. I got the timing code pop up and went away but still getting misfires. Changed everything I can think of. Please help if possible. I don't want to go hunting for another motor. Thanks to everyone in advance.
Old 09-15-21, 06:14 AM
Anfanger
Pole Position

Received 857 Likes on 630 Posts

It seems only one bank is experiencing the issue. Have you tried replacing the injector driver?
Tnguyen528 (09-15-21)
Old 09-15-21, 02:27 PM
Tnguyen528
Driver School Candidate

Injector driver? I'm sorry but what does the injector driver do and where is it located? At this point I'll try changing anything and thanks for the suggestions. Going to look it up and see what I can do. Got to get her back on the road.
Old 09-15-21, 04:23 PM
Anfanger
Pole Position

There are 2 of them - one for the left bank and one for the right bank; see below.

* https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...moval-diy.html
Old 09-15-21, 07:49 PM
Tnguyen528
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Anfanger
There are 2 of them - one for the left bank and one for the right bank; see below.

* https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...moval-diy.html
thanks a bunch. I looked it up earlier and when I swapped the two around the misfire just went away for bit and came back but not as bad and i only got the random misfire code. Not the specific 5,and 7. Luckily I have an extra engine with the two units still there. I have to go get it but I think this will fix the problem. Thanks to all that help. Thanks a bunch.
Old 09-16-21, 07:55 AM
Anfanger
Pole Position

Have you replaced any of the injectors on the same bank where you having issues? If so, have you replaced any of injector seals?
Old 09-16-21, 10:44 AM
Tnguyen528
Driver School Candidate

Have you replaced any of the injectors on the same bank where you having issues? If so, have you replaced any of injector seals?
I have replaced the injectors on that same bank and yes I replaced the seals also. They are those little o rings. They are like $8 each. I've swapped out the two driver injectors and im still getting misfires in 5 and 7. It work for a bit but now misfires again. Im stumped. I really don't want to get rid of this car but its leading down that road. The road to trading it in for another car.

Also the misfires are on 5 and 7 so I check the plugs and there is a little bit of oil on the plugs. Not the top but the bottom of the plugs. Do you think the spark cylinder seal is faulty or is there even a seal on it?

Last edited by Tnguyen528; 09-16-21 at 11:50 AM.
Old 09-16-21, 11:34 AM
Anfanger
Pole Position

I might know what the problem is. How did you replace the seals? They are made of Teflon and you need a special tool to install those. If you stretch one of those just a little bit, it is going to cause misfire. If you can swap injector 2 and 3 and see if misfire moves to the cylinder #2 that would prove my point to an extend.
Old 09-17-21, 03:26 AM
Tnguyen528
Driver School Candidate

I might know what the problem is. How did you replace the seals? They are made of Teflon and you need a special tool to install those. If you stretch one of those just a little bit, it is going to cause misfire. If you can swap injector 2 and 3 and see if misfire moves to the cylinder #2 that would prove my point to an extend.
Ok so I swapped injectors 4 and 5 and im still getting misfires on 5 and 7. I also swapped out the coils 4 and 5 and still same misfires. So I opened up the valve cover and checked everything once more making sure my o rings are in place and nothing funny was going on under neath. Put it all back together and still same outcome. So far heres what I did,

(Misfires in 5 and 7)

Change all 8 spark plugs
Replaced valve cover gasket seal
Replaced spark plug tube seals
Replaced fuel injectors and injector o rings
Swapped out the two injector drivers
replaced the 2 camshaft timing control motors
Replaced the vvt solenoids
change the oil
Cleared all the codes with a factory reset

Don't know what else to do besides throw in the towel.. is there a reset or something i have to do once i start swapping injector drivers? I really need some help here. Once again the only codes im getting are misfires on 5 and 7. I cant drive the car at all unlike other cars where you can still drive and it just won't make a big difference. Ill try anything.
Old 09-17-21, 04:05 AM
Anfanger
Pole Position

There are 2 injectors per cylinder, did you check all them?

After you swapped injectors, did you reset the error codes?

Last edited by Anfanger; 09-17-21 at 05:08 AM.
Old 09-17-21, 07:10 AM
Tnguyen528
Driver School Candidate

There are 2 injectors per cylinder, did you check all them?

After you swapped injectors, did you reset the error codes?
so how do I access the other 8 injectors and yes i did reset the error codes..
Old 09-17-21, 07:13 AM
Anfanger
Pole Position

You will have to remove the intake manifold. Did you replace the port or direct injectors?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cel VSC lights P0022 code