LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H
View Poll Results: Which of these fun flats would you choose
Michelin Primacy 3 Run Flat
50.00%
Pirelli Cinturato P7 Run Flat
50.00%
Pirelli Pzero Run Flat
0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Help me pick summer run flat tyres !

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-19, 03:49 AM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Received 211 Likes on 189 Posts
Default Help me pick summer run flat tyres !

Figured we will have some fun submitting some opinions. Ignore price.

Thing to consider:
How long do they last.
Are they noisy
Do they provide a comfortable ride etc
And of course the usual handling and what not.

THANKS !!
Old 04-11-19, 06:54 AM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Received 426 Likes on 318 Posts

jdanielca

The last thing you want to put on your LS is run flats. The ride is terrible, they are noisy. Go over on the SC 430 forum and read about run flats. The SC 430 came with run flats and no spare and almost to a person everyone hates them. I just installed the spare tire conversion kit on my SC so now I have a real spare tire and can get rid of the run flats on my 2006 SC 430. I have the Pirelli P-Zero-Nero run flats and I hate them. I believe your LS will ride like crap if you install them IMO

Dennis
The following users liked this post:
NotFasty (04-11-19)
Old 04-11-19, 09:24 AM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DJWLDW
jdanielca

The last thing you want to put on your LS is run flats. The ride is terrible, they are noisy. Go over on the SC 430 forum and read about run flats. The SC 430 came with run flats and no spare and almost to a person everyone hates them. I just installed the spare tire conversion kit on my SC so now I have a real spare tire and can get rid of the run flats on my 2006 SC 430. I have the Pirelli P-Zero-Nero run flats and I hate them. I believe your LS will ride like crap if you install them IMO

Dennis
i read about Pirelli after I posted the poll I’m not surprised for me it’s more about not losing control at the high speeds here in Europe. A normal tire will totally lose its form and you are more likely to get into an accident.
Old 04-11-19, 12:15 PM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Originally Posted by FunFact
You better tell Bugatti that, they apparently need to do their research on those 250+ mph runs.
what are you on about now?
Old 04-11-19, 04:18 PM
RandyV
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by jdanielca
Which of these fun flats would you choose
Fun Flats - srsly?

Run flats are awful!

Just run good performance tires with a AAA membership!
NotFasty (04-12-19)
Old 04-11-19, 06:22 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

I honestly buy the cheapest Chinese tire I can find and I notice no difference at all

Ive had Pirelli, Michelin, goodyear , bridgestone , toyo, yokohama and many others, and ive noticed NO difference

I can get a brand new set for $400 installed and balanced , people are paying 4 times that for a "name brand"
Old 04-11-19, 06:51 PM
jkittlesen
Pole Position

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Run flats,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,really you seem some what obsessed with this vehicle ?

Just drive the car and try not to get to obsessive about the car!
NotFasty (04-12-19)
Old 04-11-19, 08:57 PM
PwrdbyM
Driver

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

I refuse to vote since none isn't an option. Run flat tires in theory sound great however they ride terribly and in most cases lead to wheel damage due to the stiff sidewall transmitting impacts into the wheel. Cars with run flat tires typically have vibrations at speed due to bent or cracked wheels. Further, you can't repair a run flat if you get a puncture, most tire stores don't stock them if you need a quick replacement and they cost significantly more. My vote is get a nice set of go-flats and change a tire if needed.
Old 04-12-19, 02:53 AM
Kee318
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by DJWLDW
jdanielca

Dennis
Run flat tires are not good. I have them on my Ls460 F sport and the ride is terrible. I can feel every bump and crack on the road. I average 18 mile a gallon on eco mode. The tires are heavier and it wear out quicker. I switched to Pirelli p zero all season tires and now I get around 22.4 mile. It ride smoother and quieter. Tire size are 245/45 ZR 19
Old 04-12-19, 07:17 AM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jkittlesen
Run flats,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,really you seem some what obsessed with this vehicle ?

im having fun, if you are not go do something else
Old 04-12-19, 07:20 AM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Kee318
Run flat tires are not good. I have them on my Ls460 F sport and the ride is terrible. I can feel every bump and crack on the road. I average 18 mile a gallon on eco mode. The tires are heavier and it wear out quicker. I switched to Pirelli p zero all season tires and now I get around 22.4 mile. It ride smoother and quieter. Tire size are 245/45 ZR 19
what make of run flats did you have
Old 04-12-19, 07:21 AM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RandyV
Fun Flats - srsly?

Run flats are awful!

Just run good performance tires with a AAA membership!
ever heard on a iPhone and the stuff it does when you type ?
Old 04-12-19, 07:24 AM
NotFasty
Pole Position

Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by jkittlesen

Right on.

Run flats are horrible. I've owned a few cars that either had them or had them new... in all cases, either the original owner replaced them and/or people on the forums despised them.

I blew out a run-flat on a car and it trashed the tire & the replacement cost was ~ $400 (for a 19") wheel.
Old 04-12-19, 07:25 AM
jdanielca
Pole Position

i read about Pirelli after I posted the poll I’m not surprised for me it’s more about not losing control at the high speeds here in Europe. A normal tire will totally lose its form and you are more likely to get into an accident.
you guys did not read that huh? It’s not about carrying a spare or changing tires or anything like that. But if you have a rapid loss of pressure or a blow out on the autobahn or highway to Kyiv going 170kmph... and you are not on run flats so you can’t maintain control and slow down etc you are basically dead.. THATS WHY I WANT RUN FLATS. If I lived in the US or Canada with CAA or AA and max you can do is what 60-70 miles then no, that’s useless.
Old 04-12-19, 10:00 AM
fwhomeboy
Racer

Received 211 Likes on 177 Posts

you guys did not read that huh? It’s not about carrying a spare or changing tires or anything like that. But if you have a rapid loss of pressure or a blow out on the autobahn or highway to Kyiv going 170kmph... and you are not on run flats so you can’t maintain control and slow down etc you are basically dead.. THATS WHY I WANT RUN FLATS. If I lived in the US or Canada with CAA or AA and max you can do is what 60-70 miles then no, that’s useless.
Every LS460 owner drives the normal cruising speed of 80+ MPH on the highways here in the US. No matter what the speed limit sign says. LOL
The following 2 users liked this post by fwhomeboy:
DedBirdDog (04-12-19), NotFasty (04-15-19)

Quick Reply: Help me pick summer run flat tyres !