ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-4th-gen-2007-2017-178/)
-   -   Help me pick summer run flat tyres ! (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-4th-gen-2007-2017/916055-help-me-pick-summer-run-flat-tyres.html)

jdanielca 04-11-19 03:49 AM

Help me pick summer run flat tyres !

Figured we will have some fun submitting some opinions. Ignore price.

Thing to consider:
How long do they last.
Are they noisy
Do they provide a comfortable ride etc
And of course the usual handling and what not.

THANKS !!

DJWLDW 04-11-19 06:54 AM

jdanielca

The last thing you want to put on your LS is run flats. The ride is terrible, they are noisy. Go over on the SC 430 forum and read about run flats. The SC 430 came with run flats and no spare and almost to a person everyone hates them. I just installed the spare tire conversion kit on my SC so now I have a real spare tire and can get rid of the run flats on my 2006 SC 430. I have the Pirelli P-Zero-Nero run flats and I hate them. I believe your LS will ride like crap if you install them IMO

Dennis

jdanielca 04-11-19 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by DJWLDW (Post 10490008)
jdanielca

The last thing you want to put on your LS is run flats. The ride is terrible, they are noisy. Go over on the SC 430 forum and read about run flats. The SC 430 came with run flats and no spare and almost to a person everyone hates them. I just installed the spare tire conversion kit on my SC so now I have a real spare tire and can get rid of the run flats on my 2006 SC 430. I have the Pirelli P-Zero-Nero run flats and I hate them. I believe your LS will ride like crap if you install them IMO

Dennis

i read about Pirelli after I posted the poll I’m not surprised for me it’s more about not losing control at the high speeds here in Europe. A normal tire will totally lose its form and you are more likely to get into an accident.

jdanielca 04-11-19 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by FunFact (Post 10490307)
You better tell Bugatti that, they apparently need to do their research on those 250+ mph runs.

what are you on about now?

RandyV 04-11-19 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by jdanielca (Post 10489900)
Which of these fun flats would you choose

Fun Flats - srsly?

Run flats are awful!

Just run good performance tires with a AAA membership!

1WILLY1 04-11-19 06:22 PM

I honestly buy the cheapest Chinese tire I can find and I notice no difference at all

Ive had Pirelli, Michelin, goodyear , bridgestone , toyo, yokohama and many others, and ive noticed NO difference

I can get a brand new set for $400 installed and balanced , people are paying 4 times that for a "name brand"

jkittlesen 04-11-19 06:51 PM

Run flats,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,really you seem some what obsessed with this vehicle ?

Just drive the car and try not to get to obsessive about the car!

PwrdbyM 04-11-19 08:57 PM

I refuse to vote since none isn't an option. Run flat tires in theory sound great however they ride terribly and in most cases lead to wheel damage due to the stiff sidewall transmitting impacts into the wheel. Cars with run flat tires typically have vibrations at speed due to bent or cracked wheels. Further, you can't repair a run flat if you get a puncture, most tire stores don't stock them if you need a quick replacement and they cost significantly more. My vote is get a nice set of go-flats and change a tire if needed.

Kee318 04-12-19 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by DJWLDW (Post 10490008)
jdanielca

Dennis

Run flat tires are not good. I have them on my Ls460 F sport and the ride is terrible. I can feel every bump and crack on the road. I average 18 mile a gallon on eco mode. The tires are heavier and it wear out quicker. I switched to Pirelli p zero all season tires and now I get around 22.4 mile. It ride smoother and quieter. Tire size are 245/45 ZR 19

jdanielca 04-12-19 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by jkittlesen (Post 10490721)
Run flats,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,really you seem some what obsessed with this vehicle ?

im having fun, if you are not go do something else

jdanielca 04-12-19 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by Kee318 (Post 10490891)
Run flat tires are not good. I have them on my Ls460 F sport and the ride is terrible. I can feel every bump and crack on the road. I average 18 mile a gallon on eco mode. The tires are heavier and it wear out quicker. I switched to Pirelli p zero all season tires and now I get around 22.4 mile. It ride smoother and quieter. Tire size are 245/45 ZR 19

what make of run flats did you have

jdanielca 04-12-19 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by RandyV (Post 10490591)
Fun Flats - srsly?

Run flats are awful!

Just run good performance tires with a AAA membership!

ever heard on a iPhone and the stuff it does when you type ?

NotFasty 04-12-19 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by jkittlesen (Post 10490721)

Right on.

Run flats are horrible. I've owned a few cars that either had them or had them new... in all cases, either the original owner replaced them and/or people on the forums despised them.

I blew out a run-flat on a car and it trashed the tire & the replacement cost was ~ $400 (for a 19") wheel. :thumbdn: