LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS460 Dash Replacement Fiasco!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-19, 08:16 AM
Tlutrick
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
Default LS460 Dash Replacement Fiasco!!

So went to dealer to have pictures of my chalky dash panels for extended warranty replacement. Indicated that my 2007 was no longer under the program for the dash & door panels, but the console and glove box would be, even though the dealer agreed the dash was the worst. How Damn Stupid is it to replace half the components, so one half looks brand new and the other looks like it came out of a chalk factory bombing? Dealer said their hands were tied and I would have to call Lexus corporate.

Has anyone had to do this? and were you successful? I will call Monday, but I'm not sure I want a 50/50 dash. Comments or Advice to talk me off this ledge?
The following users liked this post:
CamelKool (03-21-21)
Old 02-16-19, 08:23 AM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

Thats funny my dealer said console and glove box not part of the new replacement program. I had my dash done about 2 years ago.
CamelKool (03-21-21)
Old 02-16-19, 08:43 AM
Tlutrick
Pit Crew

Here's the exact pics from my notice...

Old 02-16-19, 09:08 AM
rourkws
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is everything they are replacing on mine. I would make a few phone calls to see what you can do.
Old 02-16-19, 01:20 PM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

I was told in November to expect a letter and to date no letter. But thats okay. My glove box was replaced by the previous owner and looks ok. It will get some shine and little tacky on the upper left side. I plan on going back in June.
Old 02-16-19, 01:35 PM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Received 210 Likes on 188 Posts

Guys aerospace 303 all your surfaces and you will never have this issue again.
Old 02-17-19, 01:44 PM
burgdorf
Driver School Candidate

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Tlutrick
So went to dealer to have pictures of my chalky dash panels for extended warranty replacement. Indicated that my 2007 was no longer under the program for the dash & door panels, but the console and glove box would be, even though the dealer agreed the dash was the worst. How Damn Stupid is it to replace half the components, so one half looks brand new and the other looks like it came out of a chalk factory bombing? Dealer said their hands were tied and I would have to call Lexus corporate.

Has anyone had to do this? and were you successful? I will call Monday, but I'm not sure I want a 50/50 dash. Comments or Advice to talk me off this ledge?
Keep your cool when talking with your local Lexus customer rep. You may be able to get somewhere it really depends who you speak to and what they can do. I recently contacted my local rep regarding brake actuator failure and after three days and two reps they did not support any part of the replacement at $2600! My vehicle was only one month and 10 days outside of their "extended service warrant" but the first rep I spoke to basically said your vehicle has not been continually serviced at a Lexus dealer and we have not seen the car for x number of miles so we are not inclined to give any support. That reps boss basically said I want to help but have specific direction from the company to not offer any additional support for replacement of brake actuators on these cars. Whatever the case what I'm getting at is if you purchased your car new or a certified pre owned you have some room to negotiate, also if you have had it serviced at the dealer you have some negotiating room. Contrary to that situation my vehicle has qualified for the full dash replacement, all four door panels, console, & glovebox. I just had my dash installed and am waiting for the rest of the panels. Maybe I will get them sometime next year lol. BTW I have a 2009 ls460 base with 99500 miles.
Old 02-21-19, 09:32 AM
Tlutrick
Pit Crew

Too Bad/So Sad was Lexus's help. Explained that we never got the ZLD support warranty doc, and our dealer never told us, despite all the service interaction. They didn't care. Even asked if they would provide some financial assistance (say sell at cost or at least not at a gazillion$$$ markup), but no joy.

So my question...is there a place to pick up the dash/door panels more economically? Probably not, but asking.
CamelKool (03-21-21)
Old 02-22-19, 09:34 AM
Tlutrick
Pit Crew

Ok, so reached out to Lexus dealer to ask the cost of me personally paying for replacement of the dash/door panels to fit with my other new pieces (glove box, console, etc...) that are coming in as part of the ZLZ program. $12,600.33 Insane!! Why would anyone pay close to what the car is worth in totality for a new dash. Ok, New Plan...

Anyone come up with a way to treat these chalky (not gooey) dash issues? I've heard of Aerospace 303 as one option, but would like to hear from others. Everything I have tried to date, does provide some superficial success, but eventually dries to reveal the chalky layer less than a month later.

Thanks.
CamelKool (03-21-21)
Old 02-22-19, 09:42 AM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Ok, so reached out to Lexus dealer to ask the cost of me personally paying for replacement of the dash/door panels to fit with my other new pieces (glove box, console, etc...) that are coming in as part of the ZLZ program. $12,600.33 Insane!! Why would anyone pay close to what the car is worth in totality for a new dash. Ok, New Plan...

Anyone come up with a way to treat these chalky (not gooey) dash issues? I've heard of Aerospace 303 as one option, but would like to hear from others. Everything I have tried to date, does provide some superficial success, but eventually dries to reveal the chalky layer less than a month later.

Thanks.
that is your one true hope tbh (if it works) if the issue happened to me (which it won’t since I’ve 303 it ) it works best before you have an issue BUT what’s the harm trying it does rejuvenate plastic, etc. I would clean it properly with a good interior detailer that’s a pure cleaner and not a conditioner. So not meguairs lol something decent like chemical guys or whatever. Use a new natural hair brush that they use for leather seats ( think shoe brush) spray brush etc spray agitate and wipe clean. And best way in your case is to get a dish pour 303 into it, use a foam brush and you want to carefully coat all your areas. Let it saturate for as long as you can, if you need to wipe use a good micro fiber etc and see how it worked and re apply.

If its going to work this is how it would.
Tlutrick (02-22-19)
Old 03-05-19, 11:36 AM
prichmon
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just picked up a used 07 LS460 with 161K miles. Door panels are nasty, cracked and damaged. The car has some service history with lexus dealers. Lexus corporate has told me the same thing. The car is out of warranty for the ZLD warranty enhancement The current ZLZ covers the console and glovebox. which my car does qualify.
Old 03-06-19, 05:00 AM
tofu
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jdanielca
Guys aerospace 303 all your surfaces and you will never have this issue again.
How often do you apply this? thanks
Old 03-06-19, 06:34 AM
tlk2megoos
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I’d rather see pictures of the interior vs the warranty correspondence. If your car qualifies for *any* warranty, take it and make sure it is scheduled! Literally walk with the service agent to take photos of your interior to make sure there is nothing missing from the replacement file he will send for the “study” (this is what Lexus calls it).

On on the other hand, why waste an exorbitant amount to replace these panels if you are out of the warranty program? For about a grand or so, you can get the panels, and I mean ALL the sections, to be upholstered in leather/vinyl/alcantra/whatever and the surfaces will have better aesthetic and longevity than these exposed composites under the replacement program. Now I’ve had my dash and all door cards replaced but I’m seeing the whitening on the dash and doors starting, and it’s been only a little over a year now since installation. Once I get the lowers in, you bet what I mentioned above is what I’m going to do.
Old 03-06-19, 12:29 PM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tofu
How often do you apply this? thanks
if you apply it properly, clean it with a proper interior cleaner or woolite wipe down with water dry and then brush it on with a foam applicator, saturate then wipe off u should only need to it every few months. Or each time after you properly clean it
Old 02-26-22, 04:40 AM
DrQuality
Pit Crew

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts

The dealership was dishonest. Program ZLZ (effective 2018-09-27) which followed Program ZLD (expired 2017-05-31) covered replacement of nine items in total: all four door panels, the full dashboard assembly, the lower dashboard/instrument panel on driver's side, glove box assembly, entire center console assembly, rear console. The opportunity for primary ZLZ evaluation/approval expired on 2021-03-31; until that date, all affected LS460 VINs qualified for Program ZLZ evaluation/approval, regardless of mileage, age or change of ownership.

The probable reason the dealership was dishonest was that Lexus Corporate was not providing adequate labor-hours for the work to be done. Said another way, the dealerships had to eat most of the labor costs. I got seven of the nine items (not the dashboard itself, which looks fine) and the dealerships was only allowed 2.7 labor-hours in total, even though it was actually almost two days of work. Your dealership was willing to do the console and glove box because they weren't much work. Swapping a complete dashboard assembly and four dash panels would have been a lot of work for your dealership ... most of which they would have to pay for out of their own pocket. So they threw you a curve ball.

When you called Lexus Corporate asking about ZLD, you would think they should have advised you about ZLZ. But these campaigns were excluded from "advertisement," meaning dealerships and such were not allowed to advise customers of them. Rather customers had to specifically inquire about them 'on their own.' And Lexus Corporate was trying to dodge the expensive dashboard teardown/swap as well; note the ZLZ letter pictured above that was sent out to owners does NOT list the dashboard assembly, but the internal document, POL18-01, does state the dashboard assembly is included.

Too late now, though. But at least you know to find another dealership.

Last edited by DrQuality; 02-26-22 at 05:22 AM.