LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Front control arm bushings FAIL AGAIN

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-18, 05:50 PM
zracer31
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

To the original poster - When you installed the arms/bushings, did you ensure that the actual inner part of the bushing was in a "nuetral" position before tightening down the bolt? If you tightened them down with the suspension in the full downward position the bushing will be WAY pre-loaded when the car is at ride height. Obviously that will shorten the lifespan dramatically. I personally pressed in just the bushings (ebay specials) and with 25K plus miles on them look brand new still ( inspect when rotating tires).
I'm sorry to hear yours have failed so soon. Maybe I got lucky with good rubber on mine or a combination that I drive the car fairly easy and our roads are decent around here.
Old 11-28-18, 08:09 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by zracer31
To the original poster - When you installed the arms/bushings, did you ensure that the actual inner part of the bushing was in a "nuetral" position before tightening down the bolt? If you tightened them down with the suspension in the full downward position the bushing will be WAY pre-loaded when the car is at ride height. Obviously that will shorten the lifespan dramatically. I personally pressed in just the bushings (ebay specials) and with 25K plus miles on them look brand new still ( inspect when rotating tires).
I'm sorry to hear yours have failed so soon. Maybe I got lucky with good rubber on mine or a combination that I drive the car fairly easy and our roads are decent around here.
This is what I was going to post. Pre-loading is crucial for any longevity in these components, regardless of whether theyr're made in China or Kalamazoo. FWIW, my Mevo and BA parts went over two years and 40k miles without any issues.Same with the 150 dollar package of shocks and struts I got on Ebay.
Old 11-29-18, 12:01 PM
rneteorite
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigsk8r
Yes!

1WILLY1, we are all waiting with baited breath for the results here... :-)
I just dropped my car off to the race shop earlier this morning. I should be picking up the car tomorrow, I will update you guys asap.

Last edited by rneteorite; 11-29-18 at 12:06 PM.
Old 11-29-18, 10:00 PM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Received 210 Likes on 188 Posts

hi could you explain this so I can make sure the guy that does it... knows ... Ukraine so.... never assume... or if someone made a general video about this out there.. not really getting what you mean by preloaded.

Also dont understand what you mean by full downward position.

Ive read before about the car not being on the lift or something like that

any difference if the car is in sport/comfort/normal? Height high or normal?

Any instructions I can pass on would be great. Thanks
Old 11-30-18, 07:32 AM
213374U
Lexus Test Driver

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

If the vehicle is on jack stands, the tires/suspension at all 4 corners will sag, leaving massive wheel gap. The suspension at this point is "unloaded". When you install new suspension components you don't want to torque them down in the mounts until you "pre-load" the suspension by raising the hub at that corner to near normal ride height. If you torque down the bushings in the mounts while the suspension is unloaded they will forever be under tension at stock ride height, and will tighten further whenever you hit bumps and the suspension goes lower. Basically, they're under pressure at all times, not just when the suspension is working, so this dramatically shortens life expectancy.
The following 2 users liked this post by 213374U:
ALK (12-01-18), tlin (12-05-18)
Old 11-30-18, 09:35 AM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Received 210 Likes on 188 Posts

Great thanks for the explanation. I understand the general concept now.. but how would it work exactly in reality if the car is on the lift?

1. So how do we raise the hub? I assuming wheels will be off at this point or on?

2. How do we determine how high to raise it? So I guess I will set ride height to normal and suspension to normal before any measurement takes place ?

THANKS !

Originally Posted by 213374U
If the vehicle is on jack stands, the tires/suspension at all 4 corners will sag, leaving massive wheel gap. The suspension at this point is "unloaded". When you install new suspension components you don't want to torque them down in the mounts until you "pre-load" the suspension by raising the hub at that corner to near normal ride height. If you torque down the bushings in the mounts while the suspension is unloaded they will forever be under tension at stock ride height, and will tighten further whenever you hit bumps and the suspension goes lower. Basically, they're under pressure at all times, not just when the suspension is working, so this dramatically shortens life expectancy.
Old 11-30-18, 11:11 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

sorry guys my car is still at the shop, not sure what the hold up is
Old 11-30-18, 11:32 AM
Legus
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jdanielca
What did u change when you first had the problem? just the bushings? which did you use?
Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
generic no name stuff made in china that is rebranded with names like beck arnley, movotech, ac delco , dorman etc...
Yup he’s right, I think it was knockoff mevotech. Super cheap. I replaced the entirety of all 8 front arms, mostly because it was evident that whoever I got the car from was riding metal on metal I mean bushings almost entirely destroyed for god knows how long. Figured that if I could get all 8 arms for the same price Id get the 4 lower brand name ones, might be a better option in the end since I read a few success stories about the ones I ordered. Bad idea.

Last edited by Legus; 11-30-18 at 11:40 AM.
Old 12-02-18, 03:38 PM
rneteorite
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Update: So I got the car on friday, but was super busy to update you guys until now. After a couple of days, I could hear the squeaking from the poly bushings(it doesn't really bother me since I have music on anyway).

Ride quality? Slight improvement IMO. Although, it does take small pot holes really well now. Because before I would feel every little thing and it would drive me nuts. Now, it's like it absorbs the potholes. My wife says the "clunking" noise is gone as well, so that's a plus.
The following 2 users liked this post by rneteorite:
213374U (12-04-18), Richardgil (12-03-18)
Old 12-03-18, 08:22 AM
Legus
Driver School Candidate

​​​​​​
hey there
not sure how I overlooked this post
i cant be too sure... my best friend has been a mechanic for over 7 years now, I can I assume that any experienced mechanic knows to do this? I’ll ask him but I wouldn’t want to insult the mans work. I did watch him do the arms...so what do you mean by neutral position and downward position? He did all of it while it was up on a lift as far as I remember
Old 12-03-18, 10:24 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by Legus
​​​​​​
hey there
not sure how I overlooked this post
i cant be too sure... my best friend has been a mechanic for over 7 years now, I can I assume that any experienced mechanic knows to do this? I’ll ask him but I wouldn’t want to insult the mans work. I did watch him do the arms...so what do you mean by neutral position and downward position? He did all of it while it was up on a lift as far as I remember
He's asking if the suspension was in a position as if the car was on the ground with the full weight on the control arms. If your mechanic torqued all the bolts while the car was in the air then that's your problem right there not so much the control arms.
Old 12-03-18, 10:52 AM
Legus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sha4000
He's asking if the suspension was in a position as if the car was on the ground with the full weight on the control arms. If your mechanic torqued all the bolts while the car was in the air then that's your problem right there not so much the control arms.
I’m sure this sounds really stupid so forgive me but How does one torque the bolts down if the car isn’t suspended?
Old 12-03-18, 10:59 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

All you have to do is use a jack to push the tire up or lower the car with some kind of stand underneath the rotor until it is fully compressed and the tighten the bolts. I did this job on the ground with my car up on jack stands, then I used my jack to lift my rotor before I torqued the bolts.
Old 12-04-18, 09:52 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

sorry for the delay guys, my mechanic took quite a while to get the car back to me

The Good : the bushings were installed and the car is riding a lot better now, I don't notice any drawbacks of using the urethanes so far but to be fair ive only driven it back from the shop and cruised around in the city a bit before parking it again, but I noticed NO negative drawbacks at all

Ride quality is good, no noises , it is not too stiff or harsh like some might be concerned about

Also my mechanic did a closer inspection and only my lower rears needed to be swapped , both on each side. (there are two bushings on the front rear lower arm) and the rest of my bushings top and bottom are fine so they have been left alone.

The Bad: he charged me $300 per side to remove the arms, remove the old bushings, press in new ones and re-install the arms. $600 total

He said it would be cheaper to just swap in the arms but I really wanted peace of mind to have top quality parts put in so I guess that's how it goes.

I am in for $800.00 now just to have my front rear lowers repaired. (not a victory on my end)
The following users liked this post:
mckellyb (12-06-18)
Old 12-04-18, 11:25 AM
213374U
Lexus Test Driver

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Will be tackling bushings after the first of the year when I park the 460 and start daily driving the 400. Looking forward to getting the suspension back to factory tight.

Did you post links/part #s for the bushings you used and I missed it? If not, could you? I'm also curious which bushings are the same between the RWD and AWD models, guess I'll need to grab some tech sheets and start referencing part #s between them.

Quick Reply: Front control arm bushings FAIL AGAIN