LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

First Post Newbie Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-18, 08:42 AM
TableRock
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default First Post Newbie Question

Good day,

I've been doing some reading and lurking on this site trying to educate myself prior to my first Lexus purchase. I'm a long time Toyota owner purchasing all of them brand new and enjoying the trouble free service each has provided. My latest is a 2018 Highlander Limited Hybrid Platinum package.

My question: I'm considering strongly an LS460, specifically, an LS460 L AWD with only 27k miles located at Herb Chambers Lexus in MA. It has all options except the executive seating. 1 owner. Clear car fax. My favorite color scheme, Mecury Metallic and Black interior. They are asking $29k. (this sounded high to me, but they were pretty firm)

First question - being a recovering Range Rover owner, I have zero desire for a luxury vehicle that nickel and dimes me (or in the case of RR, thousands of dollars) outside of warranty, and hundreds of hours of my time when it was under warranty, and I haven't time for it to be in the shop. All my research has pointed to this being a very sound car capable of trouble free luxury for multiple hundreds of thousand of miles. Is my perception incorrect? I like the more conservative look of the pre 2013 model.
  • Are there things on this model, expensive things, I should prepare myself to happen before 150k miles?
  • Is there a strong reason to look at the 2012 model year vs. 2010?
  • Are there any things I'd want to dealer to inspect for me ahead of flying out there to purchase it and drive it home, some 2,500 miles? (It's not Lexus Certified due to its age)
Thank you for your shared wisdom and passion for such an amazing vehicle.
The following users liked this post:
Seabone726 (03-19-20)
Old 09-10-18, 09:12 AM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Received 213 Likes on 191 Posts

I personally dont like the look of the new grille.. I have the same combo you are looking to buy, if you buy it at the right price you can afford to fix any issue that comes up at the indy shop... you just gotta find a good place you trust to do the work.. here in ukraine labour is nothing so I can afford to keep fixing stuff.. not much much in the US... really there is no reason to look newer except that newer means less wear... nothing was fixed magically that did not reappear... in later years...

check if all the recalls have been done... you can do so by checking the VIN online or asking a lexus dealer.
TableRock (09-10-18)
Old 09-10-18, 09:46 AM
jmurph648
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I dealt with them last month as I was looking at their 2012 cpo. I showed up for a scheduled test drive and the car was absolutely filthy..including trash on the floor of the rear seat. I pointed this out to them and they stated that they would clean it if I would buy it...lol. Great customer service 🤣🤣. As far as price...they wont budge as they are a no haggle dealer... the price is the price... usually more than other dealers... I ended up purchasing a nicer LS elsewhere for less money and significantly less miles... good luck.
The following 2 users liked this post by jmurph648:
Seabone726 (03-19-20), TableRock (09-10-18)
Old 09-10-18, 10:48 AM
TableRock
Driver School Candidate

Had a couple PM's suggesting I post the link to the vehicle I'm considering for thoughts, on reliability and likeliness of fewer expensive headaches in the near future. I will likely be driving 20k miles annually, mostly highway.

https://www.herbchamberslexus.com/Ve...-MA/3281016503 - my preferred colors and lower miles

VS.

https://www.herbchamberslexus.com/Ve...-MA/3257972573 - higher miles, newer, L/Certified, not my preferred colors
Old 09-10-18, 11:19 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 231 Likes on 142 Posts

TableRock, The 2010 looks pretty immaculate, but the price is definitely very high (too high, in my opinion). I'm not a fan of the new Lexus + dealerships that won't negotiate - my local dealership has gone that route, and the only thing that has "plussed" up since they converted is the price (both sales and service)! I did see a nasty looking scuff under the front fascia -- you could point that out to them if you get serious about buying it.

I do know even the + dealers will drop the price of the car periodically until it sells. I'd keep an eye on it, since it really does look to be a cream puff...
TableRock (09-10-18)
Old 09-10-18, 11:55 AM
TriC
Racer

Received 268 Likes on 202 Posts

I considered this car myself just yesterday. My concern has several facets.

1) The Carfax indicates annual registration renewal every Fall all on Martha's Vineyard, an island in the Atlantic Ocean. Thus, it apparently spent its entire life there with attendant exposure to salt air. Yes, it probably was garaged, but who knows how much it sat outside.

2) Its mileage, although low, would likely not have been the easiest, i.e., no freeways.

3) While it may have received regular service, it sure wasn't at a Lexus dealer.

4) Why in the hell would a Lexus store try to sell this car with evident body damage to the right rocker?

5) It is overpriced.
TableRock (09-10-18)
Old 09-10-18, 11:56 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 339 Likes on 292 Posts

I think both are too much money. You might as well go 2013 and up if your spending that much. Just my 2 cents.
TableRock (09-10-18)
Old 09-10-18, 12:20 PM
TableRock
Driver School Candidate

TriC - you have much better eyes than I do, nice catch, and thank you for the insights. I hadn't thought of those. Sha4000, you are also probably right, in just the short amount of time I've been reading through this forum, it appears I may need to consider the 2013 and newer models. My dash was replaced on my 2008 Solara SLE free of charge by Toyota. If they hadn't covered the charge, I was told it would be close to $2,500 and maybe even $3k if I was out of pocket. I can't image what an LS460 would cost.

I'm at the age where my days of owning a vehicle because I care what others think about me are long gone as are my days of owning a vehicle I have to do more than oil, tires, and brakes. I'd only care to own an LS460 if I got to fully enjoy the "relentless pursuit of perfection". No headaches, no wrenching, no melting dashes, no rattles, no clunks, no oil leaks, no electrical problems or I'll get myself the 2019 Avalon Hybrid Limited I just drove last week (close to $50k) or its Lexus hybrid brother the ES350h and forever forget my dream of owning an LS.....
Old 09-10-18, 01:56 PM
213374U
Lexus Test Driver

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Sounds to me like you want a CPO 13+, RWD, with coil suspension. Skip the AWD, air suspension, and the many many option packages (just more stuff to break), and it should be a great car for a very long time with Toyota-like reliability
TableRock (09-10-18)
Old 09-10-18, 02:42 PM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by 213374U
Sounds to me like you want a CPO 13+, RWD, with coil suspension. Skip the AWD, air suspension, and the many many option packages (just more stuff to break), and it should be a great car for a very long time with Toyota-like reliability
My thoughts exactly.
TableRock (09-10-18)
Old 09-10-18, 03:04 PM
TableRock
Driver School Candidate

Thank u to all, I believe you are exactly correct - already started looking and that new front end is starting to grow on me...... knowing I don't have to fuss with air suspension, sticky dash, or 4WD, that helps too - thanks so much for all the great wisdom. 213374U, you are right, that added rear luxury package is just more stuff to break, and in my case, having just adopted a 2.5 year old and a 14 month old, more buttons for toddlers to push from their car seats. There are a ton of low mileage 2014/15's out there. No sticky dashes from those years, I assume?
Old 09-10-18, 03:15 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 355 Likes on 245 Posts

Like others have said, I think that price is not only too high, but kind of ridiculous. The car is almost nine years old. Pass. And pass hard.

If you're looking for a "put gas in it and change the oil, car", I don't think this will be your cup of tea. Although they are great cars, when they break the price of parts is pretty high (and it will break). You'll be doing control arms (not a huge deal). A few other things that could go before 150,000 miles...high pressure fuel pump gaskets, wheel bearings, variable valve timing electric motor (it has two of them that are actually electric), struts (like any car), and heaven forbid a brake actuator.

I'd say it's reasonable to expect half of those things to go before 150,000 miles. Which isn't all that bad when you think about it.
TableRock (09-12-18)