LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Just read a thread about rust- started thinking about mine

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-18, 05:48 AM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Received 210 Likes on 188 Posts
Default Just read a thread about rust- started thinking about mine

So as some you might know from my threads I do not live in the US, getting things done is not so easy.

BUT what are kind of shops do you have there that do rust abatement ? maybe there is a website I can go to look that lists steps and procedures, maybe I can get the same done here if I know what steps are taken. Also I know there is a layer of felt under some parts of the car so would be great to know if those come down etc. THANKS
Old 08-12-18, 02:49 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

What exactly do you mean by rust abatement? Rust repair? Rust prevention? In either case, modern automobiles have the best rust prevention treatment you can get right from the factory and shouldn't be rusting in any climate if they are less than 10 years old (unless you have had poorly done accident repair or aftermarket body parts).
Old 08-12-18, 03:54 PM
jdanielca
Pole Position

you can see that i have a 2007 vehicle right... undercarriage arent there places that do rust prevention sprays etc
Old 08-12-18, 04:19 PM
TriC
Racer

Received 266 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by jdanielca
you can see that i have a 2007 vehicle right... undercarriage arent there places that do rust prevention sprays etc
You can easily undercoat and/or rust-proof your car yourself with a gallon of either product, an applicator, and an air compressor.
Old 08-12-18, 04:29 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

I'd advise the following products...Krown rust prevention or Fluid Film. I'm sure there's are others but twice a year treatment with either of these two and you're way ahead of the game. Both products seep into pinch welded body panels and prevent moisture from accumulating. In the US a Fluid Film treatment for a car is around $150. Krown is a little more. Another company is NH Oil Undercoating (same concept).

All three treatments don't dry, they stay tacky, they can flex and it won't crack letting moisture in. But it is not a permanent covering, it needs to be done once or twice a year.

I used to use the Fluid Film on my LS460...did it myself along the pinch welds and certain areas that were only painted. The problem with the LS460 is that to truly do a treatment you'd have to remove all the plastic sound insulation under the car. I never went that far.
The following users liked this post:
jdanielca (08-12-18)
Old 08-13-18, 06:37 AM
Chuckinnj
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts

X2 on the Fluid Film! I use this stuff on ALL my snow equipment and it still looks new after many New Jersey winters.
Another product I have used on my winter beater and DD is the Amsoil Heavy Duty Metal Protector, I sprayed this in all nooks and crannies (doors, fenders, etc) on my 2010 Chevy PU and inside/outside of my frame rails and I have had great success with staying rust free on a truck that is driven every day and sits outside. www.amsoil.com

Fluid Film can be washed off with soap and water because it is lanolin based...... The Amsoil HD Metal Protect does not wash off and you need to remove it with mineral spirits.
The following users liked this post:
jdanielca (08-13-18)
Old 08-13-18, 02:10 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuckinnj
X2 on the Fluid Film! I use this stuff on ALL my snow equipment and it still looks new after many New Jersey winters.
Another product I have used on my winter beater and DD is the Amsoil Heavy Duty Metal Protector, I sprayed this in all nooks and crannies (doors, fenders, etc) on my 2010 Chevy PU and inside/outside of my frame rails and I have had great success with staying rust free on a truck that is driven every day and sits outside. www.amsoil.com

Fluid Film can be washed off with soap and water because it is lanolin based...... The Amsoil HD Metal Protect does not wash off and you need to remove it with mineral spirits.
I haven't tried the Amsoil Heavy Duty Metal Lrotector but I've heard of it. Watched a few videos/comparisons to Fluid Film. I think it's the same basic concept. Fluid Film is easy for me to get...I can buy the cans right in Home Depot for $9.

Both go on a little thin. Don't know if the Amsoil product is available in the five gallon containers, but if you go that way with the Fluid Film it's a totally different experience...the five gallon bucket compared to the cans is much much thicker and goes on much tackier. I like it better than the cans.
Old 09-06-18, 01:12 AM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Anyone used Dinitrol ?
Old 09-06-18, 09:07 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by sktn77a
What exactly do you mean by rust abatement? Rust repair? Rust prevention? In either case, modern automobiles have the best rust prevention treatment you can get right from the factory and shouldn't be rusting in any climate if they are less than 10 years old (unless you have had poorly done accident repair or aftermarket body parts).
Modern cars generally don't rust or at least not for a very long time, they do get a layer of corrosion/scale in salty environments but parts on cars still do rust like bolts, screws, pulleys, trays, etc in modern cars.

What do people do on parts with some surface corrosion/scale or parts like bolts/pulleys with rust on them, replace them or are there any steps to take to rescue them?

Last edited by UDel; 09-06-18 at 09:15 AM.