LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Will a car cover help at work?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-18, 04:53 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts
Default Will a car cover help at work?

Our LS has window tint, I crack the windows when parked, and I also use a CoverCraft sunshade. I try to park in the shade when possible but don't always have that choice. My Dad used to use a car cover on his first Lexus, even when parked in the garage! Will a car cover help protect the car's paint or interior from the hot Summer while it is parked outside? I wonder if it actually does any good or will it trap the heat and damage the paint/inside more? I wish there was a portable canopy product that I can set up for instant shade, maybe one with stems that are held in place by rolling up your windows so the canopy (mesh material?) doesn't fly away.
Old 07-12-18, 04:56 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Or maybe I can find a solar-powered fan to help vent the interior heat faster.
Old 07-12-18, 05:19 PM
Mbodall
Intermediate

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts

As far as keeping the interior cooler, I would think that it really depends on the material used in the car cover. If you can find one that blocks UV rays/sunlight really well, it very well might help keep the interior car cooler. A thin cover that lets a lot of light and heat through probably would net the same result as just cracking the windows a little without a cover, or might even be hotter depending on how much you usually crack the windows. As for protecting the exterior and interior, even a thinner cover will block some sunlight and UV rays and keep the paint out of the worst of the sun. Same thing for the leather, wood, and plastic inside... but if the net effect keeps the interior temp the same as not covering it, you'll still have the heat somewhat baking the interior, just without the added harm of UV rays.

Do you use a sunshade even in the front windshield? That will keep the sun off the dashboard, steering wheel, center console, and seats most of the day, depending on which direction your car is facing when you park it. You can also get those suction cup mounted mesh window covers that I see parents use on the side windows of cars to keep most of the sun off their kids. That will help the temp somewhat and help keep the UV rays off the interior materials.

Last edited by Mbodall; 07-12-18 at 05:24 PM.
Old 07-12-18, 05:29 PM
Scrutator
Pole Position

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

My wife got this for her RX 350, primarily for use when she takes the dogs to competitions: https://www.itscoolinhere.com
Old 07-12-18, 05:46 PM
Mbodall
Intermediate

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Scrutator
My wife got this for her RX 350, primarily for use when she takes the dogs to competitions: https://www.itscoolinhere.com
Bingo! This looks like a winner for sure!
Old 07-12-18, 06:05 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

I didn't buy mine from this company, but I have the same thing for my Ferrari. The big advantage over a full cover is if you've been driving the car to a destination away from home and there is fine dust on the paint, you don't want to put a car cover over it because it will grind the dust into the paint and cause swirls and scratches. The other advantage is it takes up much less space in the trunk (which is important if you have a small trunk).
Old 07-12-18, 06:10 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by FatherTo1
I wish there was a portable canopy product that I can set up for instant shade, maybe one with stems that are held in place by rolling up your windows so the canopy (mesh material?) doesn't fly away.
Your wish has been granted:

Amazon Amazon

Old 07-12-18, 06:12 PM
DerrickM
Advanced

Received 131 Likes on 111 Posts

I love it!
Old 07-12-18, 06:36 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Thanks, Steve, lol! This is exactly what I was thinking of, design-wise too! I was wondering about a suction device for stability but wondered how it would affect the paint, well no problem if you place it on the sunroof. They really thought this through with anti-theft features and remote open/close. I wonder how often you have to recharge it. I saw some of the reviewer videos and am a little disappointed that it doesn't provide that much side shade/protection. Kind of pricey for just directly noon sun protection, but I am so excited that someone else was thinking the same thing and went through with the engineering to develop it. Bravo!
Old 07-12-18, 06:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

All kidding aside, I think your car is fine while it sits outside at work. Just keep it clean and protected, have you ever considered a ceramic coating? The tint will keep the UV rays off the interior.
Old 07-12-18, 06:43 PM
Benjam1n
Pole Position

Received 95 Likes on 74 Posts

Yes, putting one of those on your car while parked at work will show your bosses and fellow employees that you're a completely normal, down to earth, well rounded individual.
Old 07-12-18, 06:43 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Benjam1n
Yes, putting one of those on your car while parked at work will show your bosses and fellow employees that you're a completely normal, down to earth, well rounded individual.
Oh for sure, doesn't call any attention to your car either lol
Old 07-12-18, 06:47 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Originally Posted by Mbodall
As far as keeping the interior cooler, I would think that it really depends on the material used in the car cover. If you can find one that blocks UV rays/sunlight really well, it very well might help keep the interior car cooler. A thin cover that lets a lot of light and heat through probably would net the same result as just cracking the windows a little without a cover, or might even be hotter depending on how much you usually crack the windows. As for protecting the exterior and interior, even a thinner cover will block some sunlight and UV rays and keep the paint out of the worst of the sun. Same thing for the leather, wood, and plastic inside... but if the net effect keeps the interior temp the same as not covering it, you'll still have the heat somewhat baking the interior, just without the added harm of UV rays.

Do you use a sunshade even in the front windshield? That will keep the sun off the dashboard, steering wheel, center console, and seats most of the day, depending on which direction your car is facing when you park it. You can also get those suction cup mounted mesh window covers that I see parents use on the side windows of cars to keep most of the sun off their kids. That will help the temp somewhat and help keep the UV rays off the interior materials.
Mbodall, our LS does have the rear and side sunshades. With everything combined (sunshades, window tint, and cracking the windows down an inch) it does greatly reduce cabin temperatures, even on 100+ degree days. It is actually not too bad when I first get in the car and the LS dual-AC units work quickly to cool the car down further. I was just more concerned about the affect of heat and temps on the interior materials. I clean and hydrate the leather regularly and just want to keep everything looking as good for as long as possible. Thanks for the suggestions.

Scrutator, those car "hats" are awesome! Very clever product. That basically negates having to tint your car if someone is concerned about not being able to see through dark tint while driving at night (like my wife). Just hope nobody steals it.
Old 07-12-18, 06:56 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Originally Posted by Benjam1n
Oh for sure, doesn't call any attention to your car either lol
LOL. No doubt my friends and colleagues consider me perfectly balanced after observing that I eat a donut with a fork and wash my car with distilled water. Nothing out of the ordinary for sure.
Old 07-12-18, 07:03 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

All kidding aside, I think your car is fine while it sits outside at work. Just keep it clean and protected, have you ever considered a ceramic coating? The tint will keep the UV rays off the interior.
I purchased the LS used and it already had tint applied. Unfortunately, I did not receive any documentation and do not know what brand/quality the tint is. It seems fine to me, although the **** side of me did shop around recently to see how much it would be to remove everything and redo it in something of my choosing with known/better Total Solar Energy Rejection rating. I know almost any tint will block >99% UV, it's the IR and radiant heat I want to reduce. I considered ceramic too but read it can interfere with cell phone or radio signals. Have you observed this problem with reception? I might take a gamble and put some 70% tint on my windshield. Yes, it would be illegal but I recently tinted my wife's windows at 70% and they're indistinguishable from the windshield.

Quick Reply: Will a car cover help at work?