LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Will a car cover help at work?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-18, 07:19 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

Originally Posted by FatherTo1
LOL. No doubt my friends and colleagues consider me perfectly balanced after observing that I eat a donut with a fork and wash my car with distilled water. Nothing out of the ordinary for sure.
Haha! Par for the course then!
Old 07-12-18, 07:46 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Our LS has window tint, I crack the windows when parked, and I also use a CoverCraft sunshade. I try to park in the shade when possible but don't always have that choice. My Dad used to use a car cover on his first Lexus, even when parked in the garage! Will a car cover help protect the car's paint or interior from the hot Summer while it is parked outside? I wonder if it actually does any good or will it trap the heat and damage the paint/inside more? I wish there was a portable canopy product that I can set up for instant shade, maybe one with stems that are held in place by rolling up your windows so the canopy (mesh material?) doesn't fly away.
Yes, a car cover will protect the cars paint from UV damage as it is blocking the damage rays and blocking the sun from heating the paint up as much, it will protect the interior from some UV damage but modern auto glass normally has some UV protection/blocking and tinting also helps protect it, it should keep the interior a little cooler but it won't be that much cooler as the car is still going to be as least as hot as the outside temp but it does cut down on the sunlight heating up the leather and other pieces. Car covers can also help protect the finish from bird crap damage, hail damage, etc. Only problem is the constant adding and removing it can put some scratches in the finish.
Old 07-12-18, 11:16 PM
Mbodall
Intermediate

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts

Mbodall, our LS does have the rear and side sunshades. With everything combined (sunshades, window tint, and cracking the windows down an inch) it does greatly reduce cabin temperatures, even on 100+ degree days.
Right, I'm aware. Mine also has the rear sunshade, but not the side shades in the rear since it's not a UL. I was more referring to the front windshield and the front side windows to help protect the leather, wood, and plastic in the front of the car.
Old 07-12-18, 11:18 PM
Mbodall
Intermediate

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Benjam1n
Yes, putting one of those on your car while parked at work will show your bosses and fellow employees that you're a completely normal, down to earth, well rounded individual.
LOL. No doubt my friends and colleagues consider me perfectly balanced after observing that I eat a donut with a fork and wash my car with distilled water. Nothing out of the ordinary for sure.
Just complete the package by putting one of these on when you get out of the car and walk towards the building...

Old 07-13-18, 06:49 AM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Mbodall
Right, I'm aware. Mine also has the rear sunshade, but not the side shades in the rear since it's not a UL. I was more referring to the front windshield and the front side windows to help protect the leather, wood, and plastic in the front of the car.
Originally Posted by Mbodall
Just complete the package by putting one of these on when you get out of the car and walk towards the building...

That is hilarious! I did not know such a great product exists for hands-free personal protection. I often carry the big family-size umbrella from Costco during the Summer, mostly to shield the wife and daughter because they sunburn easily, even with sunscreen.

Good point about the front side-window sunshade. Do not know why I hadn't considered that before.
Old 07-13-18, 07:20 AM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
From the first review on it....
I just recently received my Lanmodo Car Tent. Installed it on the roof of my car. Not a Nissan Altima. And it worked great, no problems. Until I removed it. It had already dented the roof of my car. So be careful with your car if you buy it. I trying to return it, but already running into problems. Good Luck

Although looks interesting, I would avoid... I wonder how strong it holds up to winds... could be a sail for your car if a 90 mile per hour wind comes along..... A land and air car

The following users liked this post:
FatherTo1 (07-13-18)
Old 07-13-18, 08:47 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

To be clear, I wasn’t actually recommending purchasing this thing, it was more a funny ha ha
Old 07-17-18, 10:53 PM
PwrdbyM
Driver

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

I wouldn't recommend using a car cover in daily use. Car covers have their place, however unless the car is perfectly clean you're opening yourself up to serious scratches and swirls in the paint. Any dirt trapped between the cover and clear coat is going to act like sandpaper when the cover moves across during install or even flapping under a gentle breeze. You're also going to scratch the clear with the edges of the cover itself which get very dirty by putting them under the bumpers, wheel wells, etc...

Have the windows tinted, use quality sun shades and a UV protectant to protect your interior instead.