LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Anyone Going 10,000 miles Oil Changes?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-18, 12:14 PM
colfax
Intermediate

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Anyone Going 10,000 miles Oil Changes?

Help me out with this one will you?

It seems the 07 is supposed to have the oil changed every 5000 miles and that is if you are using what is it 0-20 or 5-20?

And then if is not the 0 or the 5 then you can go 10,000 miles, if I understand that is full synthetic.

But then later years are just fine to go 10K between changes.

Can someone explain to me what possible difference it makes if you are using the 0 or the 5 in front of the 20 to determine 5K or 10K intervals?

Surely the motor is not aware of such a subtle difference, or is it?

Just seems kind of silly to have to change every 5K with full synthetic, anyone else feel this way and is changing every 10K?
Old 06-15-18, 01:14 PM
bigsherv
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

My dad used to own a car shop. He answers this question simply with, "Do you really want to keep oil in your car for 10K or 15K miles? Oil is cheap, repairs are not. Change the oil often." I am doing every 5-7K.
Old 06-16-18, 04:44 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

I used to be on board with the extended oil change intervals...was an active member on "bobstheoilguy". Read up on all these different types of oils, all their additive packages, total base number, active ingredients left, Blackstone lab analysis. Tried it myself...bought expensive "high quality synthetic " an "excellent" filter and went close to 10,000 miles. I'll never try that crap again. Never. By 178,000 mikes my engine was essentially worn. My engine began drinking oil. Rings were shot.

Here's the problem in my opinion with the extended oil drains...

First off its fueled by cafe regulations (less oil usage, government mandated laws enforced on manufacturers). So they comply - of course - plus they also can "sell" to the public that maintenance is cheap...you don't have to spend as much on maintenance now. Isn't that great?

Second -- Today's engines. These engines today are so different than even engines of ten years ago. First off most have timing chains - the chains slice right through that oil, shearing it. It's constant. Now you also have direct injection. The pistons get directly blasted with fuel under very high pressure (700-3000 psi). That never used to be the case. Soot, carbon and fuel now get blasted right past the lower tension rings...right into that oil. It's dirty. It's abrasive. It's diluted. A filter is working over time. The oil is working over time. The blowby in some of these engines is ridiculous. Take a look into the intakes of some of these engines.

Three -- Turbos. So many are coming with turbos now. The oil is being asked to do a lot, it's getting hot.

Four -- Cylinder deactivation. Some cars are using it. Lifters are asked to collapse, keep valves from opening, and the fuel is cut off. Oil pressure and actuators control these systems. Oil controls these systems. Pressure is being exerted on camshafts. Oil has to be clean on those rollers (some cars and trucks are coming in with rollers worn right off).

Five -- High pressure fuel pumps driven off of camshafts. Lots of load on camshafts. Lots of tight clearance and demand. Oil needs to be clean and capable of constantly providing protection between the pump and lobe.

This is just things ive seen.

Most techs you ask don't believe in extended drains. In fact I know guys who still won't go much past 3,000 miles. I used to do extended drains, now I keep it around 5,000.

If cost is an issue, I believe Walmart sells a 0w20 fully synthetic oil for like $18 bucks for five quarts. I think it's dexos approved. I've read it's decent enough. I'd rather use that every 5,000 miles than let Mobil 1 or Royal Purple sit in there for 10,000. Just my opinion. I love oil talk.
The following 2 users liked this post by Doublebase:
DrQuality (08-06-21), ShrinkDoc (06-17-18)
Old 06-16-18, 08:10 AM
213374U
Lexus Test Driver

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

I'm doing 8k intervals and all is well so far (~30k miles, 4 oil changes). 103K on the clock and no consumption whatsoever.
Old 06-16-18, 08:35 AM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 147 Likes on 109 Posts

I sent my 12K mile sample to Blackstone, and they said there were many more miles left in it without risk from oil contamination/breakdown.

I'm going to take a sample at 15K this time around and see what they say. FWIW, my transmission oil was past worn out when I changed it @ 108K miles. I exchanged it all for Castrol Transmax multi-vehicle synthetic (okay for Toyotas).

Engine oil, though, I've been a Mobil 1 fan since the 80s, it lasts much, much longer than people think.

I have a feeling the point at which my M1 is 'used up' is between 18K-20K miles, and that's just regular old 0W30.
Old 06-16-18, 11:52 AM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Received 185 Likes on 145 Posts

LS 460 has both port and direct injection. At lower throttle openings the port injector is the engines fuel source.

hard throttle and high revs adds the direct injection as I understand how the system works.

probably why the engine seems to be long term reliable.
Old 06-16-18, 03:27 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

I’m doing 5k oil changes even with synthetic despite the factory recommendation being 10k at the advice of my independent mechanic. Also using a better quality than stock oil filter (Amsoil, Toyota TRD, same filter).
Old 06-16-18, 04:06 PM
Benjam1n
Pole Position

Received 95 Likes on 74 Posts

5k, what my 08 manual specifies. Dino or synthetic, I drain after 5k. Part of that is complying with my extended warranty which says follow manufacturer's maintenance schedule. Seems to work well.
Old 06-16-18, 08:08 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by colfax
Help me out with this one will you?

It seems the 07 is supposed to have the oil changed every 5000 miles and that is if you are using what is it 0-20 or 5-20?

And then if is not the 0 or the 5 then you can go 10,000 miles, if I understand that is full synthetic.

But then later years are just fine to go 10K between changes.

Can someone explain to me what possible difference it makes if you are using the 0 or the 5 in front of the 20 to determine 5K or 10K intervals?

Surely the motor is not aware of such a subtle difference, or is it?

Just seems kind of silly to have to change every 5K with full synthetic, anyone else feel this way and is changing every 10K?
The first number is the cold start rating, the lower the number, the thinner the oil is when cold and more protection it offers when cold so a 0W will offer better protection/more oil flow in cold temps, I don't see why 0 or 5 would make any difference between 5000 and 10000 oil changes, 0W's are normally synthetics while 5W's and higher can be dino or synthetic. There are different groups of synthetics too, most oils labeled as synthetics are really Group 3 synthetics which are highly refined synthetic blends and not true full synthetics. Group 4's and 5's are considered true full synthetics and they are pretty rare and pricey.

For a LS460, I would stick to 5000-6000 mile changes no matter what oil you use and would not risk 10K changes, these engines are very expensive and complicated to work on.
Old 06-16-18, 08:12 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

The engine isn’t actually complicated to work on at all, it’s actually a really simple engine.

Id still stick to 5k changes.
Old 06-16-18, 09:16 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 138 Posts

10k. No issue.. I think
The following users liked this post:
gtmuggs (06-17-18)
Old 06-17-18, 01:37 AM
ShrinkDoc
Advanced

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

I have >4 decades of experience with this: 1Volvo 240D sold with 278K, another with 248K, a third with over 300K, an INFINITI with 220K, a 1971 VW Fastback with 238K, a Datsun pick-up with 250K. All oil changes done between 5-6K miles.

But it's not just the oil change intervals, it's how you drive, how many times the engine is stopped and started between oil changes, are you towing heavy loads, repeated extreme acceleration and deceleration, revving the engine past its redline or driving at top speed for long periods, running dirty oil (Dirty oil in the engine is like dirty blood in your bloodstream. Dirty blood eventually catches up with you), driving short distances primarily, etc.

As the old oil commercial says: "Pay me now or pay me later!" Essentially, 5-6K oil changes, even with the highly controversial Amsoil claims, are optimal these days.
Old 06-17-18, 03:47 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Cimabeu
I have >4 decades of experience with this: 1Volvo 240D sold with 278K, another with 248K, a third with over 300K, an INFINITI with 220K, a 1971 VW Fastback with 238K, a Datsun pick-up with 250K. All oil changes done between 5-6K miles.

But it's not just the oil change intervals, it's how you drive, how many times the engine is stopped and started between oil changes, are you towing heavy loads, repeated extreme acceleration and deceleration, revving the engine past its redline or driving at top speed for long periods, running dirty oil (Dirty oil in the engine is like dirty blood in your bloodstream. Dirty blood eventually catches up with you), driving short distances primarily, etc.

As the old oil commercial says: "Pay me now or pay me later!" Essentially, 5-6K oil changes, even with the highly controversial Amsoil claims, are optimal these days.
Well said and for some reason it's often forgotten that how you drive is maybe as important as how you maintain your vehicle.
The following users liked this post:
ShrinkDoc (06-17-18)
Old 06-17-18, 06:26 AM
gtmuggs
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an 08 Avalon Touring edition that I use for a daily commuter. I put about 100 miles per day traveling to and from work and have always went about 10k to 12k miles between oil changes and have not experienced any issues. The car has 245k on it and I've always used synthetic oil and factory Toyota filters.
Old 06-17-18, 09:24 AM
tofuprod
Instructor

Received 231 Likes on 183 Posts

I just do every 10k miles. I do it on my s2000, and on my prior Lexus. Full synthetic with premium filters.
Given the LS is my 11th car (lol), I have had zero issues with any cars related to oil being burnt, which the exception of one- my 06 g35 coupe, but it had the "rev-up" motor and eventually that was an engine recall (TSB) and that was taken care of by the dealer a few years ago.

my driving is done with a mix of 50% city 50% highway, generally pretty easy going, but every so often I'll open it up on the highway a little, but nothing too crazy.

The only vehicle I haven't gone 10k between oil changes is my motorcycle, that is done every 7000 at most, usually at 5000.

Quick Reply: Anyone Going 10,000 miles Oil Changes?