LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Brake Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-17, 05:13 AM
1NSIGHT
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was on the way to the dealership to inspect my car and THE LIGHTS TURNED OFF. I don't know if I should be happy or not I did not have them scan the codes it cost too much for nothing they can do. I will reset the ECU and well see if the lights come on again.
Old 10-16-17, 05:53 AM
hfahmy
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by 1NSIGHT
I was on the way to the dealership to inspect my car and THE LIGHTS TURNED OFF. I don't know if I should be happy or not I did not have them scan the codes it cost too much for nothing they can do. I will reset the ECU and well see if the lights come on again.
I don't know what reseting the ECU will do but don't erase the codes. The car stores them, so light doesn't have to be on. They will probably ask you to approve diagnostics and if the malfunction is confirmed they will not charge you because of the enhanced warranty.

Even if they charge you, it is money well spent... This is your brakes we are talking about here, your safety and others' are on the line.
Old 10-16-17, 06:37 AM
1NSIGHT
Rookie

Im not going to erase the codes I dont have the tool to do that even if I wanted to. Im resetting the ECU so that I have a new base line for the light to come back on. They will not warranty the issue if the lights are not on and there is no reason to pay for them to show me what the codes were. I need the lights to be one when they run the scan.

Once again I have no mechanical issues with the car, they is no issues mechanically with the brakes, I have driven about 200 miles since the light and my So has driven the car and said it doesn't drive any differently.
There may end up being nothing wrong with the car and the light could just be a malfunction.
Old 10-16-17, 07:56 AM
hfahmy
Advanced

Im not going to erase the codes I dont have the tool to do that even if I wanted to. Im resetting the ECU so that I have a new base line for the light to come back on. They will not warranty the issue if the lights are not on and there is no reason to pay for them to show me what the codes were. I need the lights to be one when they run the scan.

Once again I have no mechanical issues with the car, they is no issues mechanically with the brakes, I have driven about 200 miles since the light and my So has driven the car and said it doesn't drive any differently.
There may end up being nothing wrong with the car and the light could just be a malfunction.
It is your car and ultimatley it is up to you what you want to do at the end.

Brakes might be ok now but who knows about your next drive, I think the error message tells you to take to the dealer immediately.

The story to the dealer can be as follows" light is intermittently turning on, I am concerned about my safety and safety of others and by the way Lexus knows about this, that's why they enhanced the warranty". You also show the letter.

Per a recent discussion with my SA, there is no way that the codes will be stored without the light coming on. So, if the code is there, then the light came on.

Edit: I can see that you are in GA, so if can take the car to Hennessy Lexus of Atlanta and ask for David Levitt, he will do the right thing.

Last edited by hfahmy; 10-16-17 at 08:03 AM.
Old 10-16-17, 08:34 AM
1NSIGHT
Rookie

My issue is that the dealership I took it to Roswell Lexus, seemed to be vaguely familiar with the issue and blatantly said that if the lights are not on I have no claim.
So it doenst matter if the codes are there they had to be on, I dont want to waste money just to hear them say there is nothing they can do.

Also I do not have the letter enhanced warranty letter. I will call Hennessy this afternoon they are close to my home.
Old 10-16-17, 10:23 AM
LuvmyLS
Driver

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Hi 1NSIGHT. Depending on how sensitive you are to braking issues, you may not initially notice that your actuator is failing. Some common early symptoms are:
  • under relatively light braking at 40 to 50 mph, you may feel a shutter in the brake pedal. This is easy to feel as you are pulling off a highway.
  • at walking speed, you may feel a scratching like feeling in the brake pedal. Your passengers may not even notice it, but you may feel like some metal is scraping.
  • as it gets worse, with the car stopped, if you push the brake pedal hard to the floor, a barking sound will occur when you release the pedal. The car may not even need to be on for this to occur. In park, car on or off, push hard on brake then release, if you hear a bark, your actuator is dying.
  • before it gets really bad, if you disconnect the battery or disconnect the brake actuator (with the car off), all of these symptoms will go away for a while (up to 100 miles of driving). But will then come back.
The best that you can hope for is that you get the codes. Once you have them, Lexus will replace the actuator.
Old 10-19-17, 07:47 AM
1NSIGHT
Rookie

I have dropped off my car at the dealer and I was informed that it was the brake actuator failing. They are supposed to let me know about the warranty coverage later this afternoon.
Im hoping it will be fully covered and that I can get a loaner for the time being.
Old 10-19-17, 06:32 PM
hfahmy
Advanced

I have dropped off my car at the dealer and I was informed that it was the brake actuator failing. They are supposed to let me know about the warranty coverage later this afternoon.
Im hoping it will be fully covered and that I can get a loaner for the time being.
good first step! were the dash lights on?
Old 10-22-17, 08:40 AM
1NSIGHT
Rookie

So. I have my car back. The actuator was replaced under warrenty with no out of pocket cost other than the rental i had to purchase the 1st day the dealer had my car. They didnt have a loaner....

Brakes feel completely different and I could tell immediately. The bite is alot more linear less grabby up top. Alil more spongy but not in a bad way just a less aggressive way. Honestly they actuator was probably failing since i purchased the vehicle 16 months ago. It did not help that I was replacing my rx7 which had no ABS, no traction control, no electronic anything. So I had the worst frame of reference as far as how the brakes were supposed to feel in a luxury car.

Either way I was extremely happy with the customer service at lexus. I am pretty young and certainly dont fit the profile of a lexus owner less so an LS owner. Im definitely going to stay in the lexus family.
Old 10-22-17, 11:32 AM
hfahmy
Advanced

Congratulations! You are also very lucky that this happened two month before the deadline.