LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Someone backed into my LS and almost hit-and-run

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-17, 09:57 AM
Tec80
Advanced

Received 128 Likes on 99 Posts

When I worked at FoMoCo in Dearborn, I drove a colleague named "Ed" to a meeting in a different building. When we returned (we took a test car), he opened his door right into someone's personal car, leaving a huge dent and scuff. He did not leave a note, and my opinion of him was completely shattered as a result. This was the origin of my parking paranoia, because I know that there are a lot of "Eds" out there who just don't care. Since then, I have not received a single door ding on any car. My Wife did, however - a person named "Ramel" opened the door of his pickup into her Prius, leaving a ding with telltale white paint transfer.

Hence, my (now our, since my Wife has contracted the condition from me) "paranoia parking" rule. It has paid immeasurable dividends.
Old 10-18-17, 10:39 AM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Gbp
FatherTo1: what matters is what you see, not what others see. Wouldn't the other person's insurance pay for a replacement panel and painting? A good body shop would do an excellent job of painting and matching, including blending.

For me, I've some paint chips and scratches and one very small crease. While they bother me a bit, it's not worth money out of my pocket at this point to fix them, as they are hard to notice unless one looks closely, in some cases very closely. I fear that just touching yhem up without a much more expensive paint job might make yhem more noticeable to me. Unfortunately, over time, I expect more of the same. At some point, if the car is a long-term keeper, I'll do something aboiut it.
Thank you, Gbp, I am still waiting to hear back from the body shop on an updated estimate and what the options are at this point. I am leaning towards just accepting an insurance payout and leave the dent and original paint untouched. Here is a new video in the shade of the door:

Old 10-18-17, 11:20 AM
Dave144239
Instructor

Received 215 Likes on 162 Posts

I would leave that as is. I think trying to get it perfect again might just lead to more problems.
Old 10-18-17, 01:59 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,753 Likes on 1,968 Posts

I actually saw another door ding on that door higher up before I saw that...

I would leave it be. Just asking for trouble repainting the door...
Old 10-20-17, 02:53 AM
Lukas99GS
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Geez, a Miata is one of the smallest cars you can drive and you can see everything in them, kind of inexcusable to hit a parked car in something like that. I had my GS460 backed into while at work and they drove off without leaving a note and have had people open their door into my car, people are really careless and it's surprising how many people act like getting insurance involved over a scratch or ding is crazy. Maybe if you paid attention and respected people's vehicles it wouldn't be necessary
Old 10-20-17, 06:26 AM
FatherTo1
Racer

Originally Posted by Dave144239
I would leave that as is. I think trying to get it perfect again might just lead to more problems.
Originally Posted by SW15LS
I actually saw another door ding on that door higher up before I saw that...

I would leave it be. Just asking for trouble repainting the door...
Good eyes, Steve. Yes, a dimple on the upper part of the door and a small paint chip too near there. I don't know when those occurred.

Yesterday, the body shop said a new estimate for a conventional repair, including blending into the front door, is an additional $1000. I am just waiting for the other party's AAA to approve it and I will just ask for the payout. I wasn't thinking to "profit" from this incident at the beginning (and still don't believe I really am by having to live with the dent). Anyways, it is what it is and, like others have pointed out, I would rather not risk more issues with trying to get the repair "perfect", which it won't be if good paint front the front door has to be sacrificed.
Old 10-20-17, 06:29 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I’m surprised the PDR tech didn’t take care of that other ding when he was working on that panel...
Old 10-20-17, 06:35 AM
FatherTo1
Racer

Originally Posted by Lukas99GS
Geez, a Miata is one of the smallest cars you can drive and you can see everything in them, kind of inexcusable to hit a parked car in something like that. I had my GS460 backed into while at work and they drove off without leaving a note and have had people open their door into my car, people are really careless and it's surprising how many people act like getting insurance involved over a scratch or ding is crazy. Maybe if you paid attention and respected people's vehicles it wouldn't be necessary
I don' understand it either, Lukas. No courtesy nowadays nor respect for other people's property, let alone taking care of their own stuff. We try to teach our daughter to care for her toys and be gentle with things that do not belong to us.

On a separate note, I was just in for an oil change yesterday and my mechanic let me borrow his newly acquired 2007 GS 350 so I could get to work. The structure had some shake and rattle over potholes but oh-man was that car fun around turns! That V6 pulls strongly and has great midrange punch. I would see the speedometer quickly climb with barely much territory covered on the tach. The close-ratio 6-speed does a great job keeping you in the powerband. I don't think I ever crested 4k or 5k RPM yesterday and simply didn't need to around town.
Old 10-20-17, 06:48 AM
FatherTo1
Racer

I’m surprised the PDR tech didn’t take care of that other ding when he was working on that panel...
I like that he only focused not the actual damage and glad he didn't have to remove window trim to access the dent in question, as was the original plan. Instead, he was able to get his tools in using the channel where the wiring goes into the door. I didn't witness any of this, it was just relayed back to me. I know some shops offer to take care of other things when having to do a bumper, for instance. I understand the PDR guy skipping the other ding out of concern for liability issues if something goes wrong. Plus, it really is insurance fraud on one level. If he asked me if I wanted to pay the difference, then that is different. He didn't offer though.
Old 10-20-17, 06:54 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I’d expect he would have noticed that and fixed it without charging the insurance any more.

Good PDR techs in my experience are a little obsessive compulsive, I personally wouldn’t have been able to not fix that little ding.
Old 10-20-17, 08:19 AM
Dave144239
Instructor

Received 215 Likes on 162 Posts

Good PDR techs in my experience are a little obsessive compulsive, I personally wouldn’t have been able to not fix that little ding.
No kidding! We had my father-in-law's car detailed to put it up for sale, and the guy who did it said he couldn't stand looking at the door dings so he fixed them for free
Old 10-20-17, 09:03 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

No kidding! We had my father-in-law's car detailed to put it up for sale, and the guy who did it said he couldn't stand looking at the door dings so he fixed them for free
Thats the kind of guy you want!
Old 10-20-17, 08:23 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Thats the kind of guy you want!
I wasn't so lucky. My detailer seems to have become complacent and lazy over time, which motivated me to learn how to properly wash, clay, polish, and wax the LS last weekend.
Old 10-20-17, 11:43 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 196 Likes on 140 Posts

When you rub your hand and feel along the remaining damage do you feel it with your fingers or not really?

If you cant feel it very much with your hands a light wetsanding with a polish might finish it off nicely, or at least improve it.
Old 10-21-17, 08:44 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
When you rub your hand and feel along the remaining damage do you feel it with your fingers or not really?

If you cant feel it very much with your hands a light wetsanding with a polish might finish it off nicely, or at least improve it.
I can feel the crease, *****. The body shot said they would have to fill it with some resin, sand it down, then blend the paint. I had already polished the door as much as they can and it still left the crease.